Addison Richards Retires

Noeller

The use of steroids have decreased quite a bit in my experience among youth football players over the 20 or so years I've been involved including through junior and CIS.  It's incredibly noticeable when someone is on them now.  I think part of it is a positive peer pressure and part of it is that sport specific training has taken off and most realize that using steroids and growth hormone for any length of time is actually detrimental to being on the field.

More of an issue now are other stimulants, amphetamines and "drugs of abuse" meaning stuff you buy on the street and take at parties.

Agreed, and it's a good thing. The advanced training  methods now, better supplements, more focus on healthy living and eating as a lifestyle and not just periodically has been a huge change in it. Also too now it is almost ridiculed now and looked down on when someone is found to be juicing....and thats a good thing

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:06 AM, Booch said:

Agreed, and it's a good thing. The advanced training  methods now, better supplements, more focus on healthy living and eating as a lifestyle and not just periodically has been a huge change in it. Also too now it is almost ridiculed now and looked down on when someone is found to be juicing....and thats a good thing

What about OxyContin? 

4 hours ago, Booch said:

yeah it certainly is...hence why not given as much  now.

I don't see it as a performance enhancer tho...probably would be more of a decreased performance truthfully 

only way I can see it as an "enhancer" would be that it completely numbs out any pain like a cortizone shot can do.. that and you get euphoric feeling from it so maybe you don't consider that you could be hurting yourself??

but ya I'd look at it more so as a substance to be abused as opposed to an enhancer..

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Players get tested for it as a performance enhancement drug. And it's dangerous, highly addictive. 

I agree with the second part... but I'm wondering how you consider it a performance enhancer?... Are you just saying that's how they view it or do you think it enhances performance?

22 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

only way I can see it as an "enhancer" would be that it completely numbs out any pain like a cortizone shot can do.. that and you get euphoric feeling from it so maybe you don't consider that you could be hurting yourself??

but ya I'd look at it more so as a substance to be abused as opposed to an enhancer..

Actually, I had a root canal from hell once and oxycodone did nothing, and I mean NOTHING, to numb that pain. I don't remember any euphoria either. Now, the shot of Demerol, that was different. :wacko:

Just now, J5V said:

Actually, I had a root canal from hell once and oxycodone did nothing, and I mean NOTHING, to numb that pain. I don't remember any euphoria either. Now, the shot of Demerol, that was different. :wacko:

I've heard that from others as well.. nerve pain doesn't seem to be reduced from it, oddly enough..  That or you may just be genetically dispositioned for it not to work on you..  

6 hours ago, Booch said:

yeah it certainly is...hence why not given as much  now.

I don't see it as a performance enhancer tho...probably would be more of a decreased performance truthfully 

When my son played for the Rifles at least one player was doing Oxycodin. The story I heard was that some testers from the CJFL came in to do random testing & the player fled the locker room before they saw him so he was never tested.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

Probably didn't want to have to face the music as to why he was taking it if not recovering from surgery or something. Also it is a controlled substance too, so having it without a prescription is against the law

This is a pretty sensitive subject. I don't think I should say much more although I could. This happened years ago. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

really how would they know unless they seen him popping pills..and even then could have been anything...seen lots of times guys popping 3 or 4 sudafeds before a game..at halftime..total over the counter meds but actually help as a performance boost

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When my son played for the Rifles at least one player was doing Oxycodin. The story I heard was that some testers from the CJFL came in to do random testing & the player fled the locker room before they saw him so he was never tested.

For performance enhancement or recreationally?

Haven't been prescribed anything stronger than a T3 but can't imagine anything that relaxes muscles to that extent could truly be performance enhancing.  

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

For performance enhancement or recreationally?

Haven't been prescribed anything stronger than a T3 but can't imagine anything that relaxes muscles to that extent could truly be performance enhancing.  

Never took OxyContin or any drugs like that so I have no idea. It's illegal that's all I know.