Addison Richards Retires

Noeller

Tho you can never forcast injury issues with a draft pick that 11th overall pick can now be considered a total bust.  Accomplished absolutely nothing, and gave no return. Wish him well in his future endevours. He's still young so maybe after a couple years he will get the itch and try again

Too bad for him. It just didn't turn out well for him or the club. But, his absence won't be felt as the Bombers have been busy bringing in suitable?  replacements in Coates, Blaszko, and the new Drew...Wolitarsky. 

The pick, at the time, was valuable and went for naught, but now, it's just a bad memory and thrown away onto the pile of 'has beens' and 'never wases'. 

Bring on next year's 9th overall pick!

4 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Sure looks like the shelf life for 1st-rd Canadian draft picks is not long at all. Even the good ones like Coehoorn are retiring early.

and guys like Gaydosh are on their last legs as well..  goes to show the draft in the CFL will forever and always be such a crapshoot.

Just now, Noeller said:

It is what it is....it didn't work out, and we move on. I'm more excited about the people who want to scream and yell and roast Walters on a spit for "...another wasted pick!!1!" Lol...

ya I can't fault Walters for going with the kid.  he was a legit pick at that point, had the stats to back it up in uni.  Hell, even Bison's here in the city were saying it was a smart move as he kept lighting them up when they played.. his body betrayed him.. thems the breaks.

I will say Speedflex was 100% correct we should have taken Lamar Durant after Demski was off the table,  but hindsight as they say is a female poodle. 

Sucks the pick never materialized into anything substantial for us, but even if healthy, I'm not entirely sure he would have unseated Kohlert at the time, or JFG currently, so it might be a matter of nothing gained nothing lost

3 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

this one hurts because we were so close to having Demski.

and that's who they wanted and who they tried desperately to get, but the Riders f***ed 'em on it. L Durant was not the right pick, at the time, and who knows if he'd have matured in Wpg as he did in Calgary. There is no question the kid had a lot of problems at the time, and people avoided him like the plague.

I just went down the Wikipedia rabbit hole that is the CFL draft and by God, I know it's beating a dead horse but those Joe Mack years... we yielded a grand total of 0 rostered players in the 2012-13 draft. Let's remember some guys:

Kito Poblah
Tyson Pencer
Jade Etienne
Christo Bilukidi
Johnny Aprile
Andy Mulumba (we all are still waiting)
Kris Robertson

All of these players were either 1st-3rd round or supplemental picks. Henoc Muamba was the only player taken in those rounds worth anything for us. Compare that to what Walters has brought in in 3 years:

Matthias Goossen
Derek Jones (4th round)
Sukh Chung
Christophe Normand (I love this guy for the small sample size we have seen)
Trent Corney
Michael Couture
Taylor Loffler
Faith Ekakitie

The jury is still out on guys like Couture, Ekakitie, Conteh and Spooner but if even one of those guys hits we have to be well over quota here. I think Walters gets a pass on the Richards pick, or at the very least you need to acknowledge his hits when slinging arrows for his misses. This isn't the NFL draft where if a guy is picked in the first 3 rounds he should be an instant starter.

9 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

I just went down the Wikipedia rabbit hole that is the CFL draft and by God, I know it's beating a dead horse but those Joe Mack years... we yielded a grand total of 0 rostered players in the 2012-13 draft. Let's remember some guys:

Kito Poblah
Tyson Pencer
Jade Etienne
Christo Bilukidi
Johnny Aprile
Andy Mulumba (we all are still waiting)
Kris Robertson

All of these players were either 1st-3rd round or supplemental picks. Henoc Muamba was the only player taken in those rounds worth anything for us. Compare that to what Walters has brought in in 3 years:

Matthias Goossen
Derek Jones (4th round)
Sukh Chung
Christophe Normand (I love this guy for the small sample size we have seen)
Trent Corney
Michael Couture
Taylor Loffler
Faith Ekakitie

The jury is still out on guys like Couture, Ekakitie, Conteh and Spooner but if even one of those guys hits we have to be well over quota here. I think Walters gets a pass on the Richards pick, or at the very least you need to acknowledge his hits when slinging arrows for his misses. This isn't the NFL draft where if a guy is picked in the first 3 rounds he should be an instant starter.

Kito played, Aprile played and still is, Mulamba landed as a Ram in the NFL this season and Robertson got some spot duty I thought as well..

not like they were as bad as Addision's pick was for game reps  but all were definitely closer to bad picks then good picks when you consider them to the list that Walters has amassed yup.

22 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Kito played, Aprile played and still is, Mulamba landed as a Ram in the NFL this season and Robertson got some spot duty I thought as well..

not like they were as bad as Addision's pick was for game reps  but all were definitely closer to bad picks then good picks when you consider them to the list that Walters has amassed yup.

I think it's fair to call Kito a bust if we are going to apply that label to Richards (or Waggoner for that matter), and this is coming from a guy who bought his kid a Poblah jersey (and I still have it).

Mulumba is on his 3rd(?) NFL team and since GB hasn't stuck anywhere so hopefully he comes down soon but the value of picking him 3rd overall was too high based on his NFL prospects at the time. Robertson was an Al Davis "fastest runner in the draft" pick,  I don't seem to be able to find any record of him playing for us.

It almost seems like this is a bit of a relief for both sides... Addison can now move on to some sort of real career... and the Bombers move on from a bad pick, erase his salary from the books and start focusing on guys like Coates and Wolitarsky...

Good for him... hopefully he finds a nice career post football...