Addison Richards Retires

Noeller

Sometimes telling it like it is Mike, get's you burned when the bleeding hearts come out of the woodwork...The guy was a bust plain and simple and it does look bad...Injury after injury we stuck with this guy and probably longer than we should...Bust for sure and Walters has to wear this one AND for keeping him for far longer than maybe he should have...Can't say we didn't give the kid every opportunity to make it work and he couldn't...Lesson learned.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't know what kind of problems you refer to as I had said earlier on prior threads regarding Lemar Durant that Durant he had no personal issues & was a great team guy at SFU.  My son was a qb  at SFU & he threw a few TD passes his way when they played together. The man is shy & introverted.  A bit of a loner. He kept to himself & is quiet.  He worked hard in practice everyday as well as games  & was a beast in the weight room during & between seasons.  He did everything the coaches at SFU asked him to do.

Some of the questions asked in these interviews are designed to throw off the players. Like Jim Barker accusing a player that if the Argos drafted him he'd go back to his hometown CFL team after his first contract, so why should they draft him? Like what is a player supposed to say to that??? "NO!!! PLEEEEEAAASSSSEEEE!!!" Apparently, Durant didn't handle the interview phase well, but don't label him a guy who had problems when he didn't. Look at the player he's turning into now. 

it's clear that Durant didn't want to accept the vodka and chicken wings he was offered and so therefore was deemed not acceptable.  :)

3 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Sometimes telling it like it is Mike, get's you burned when the bleeding hearts come out of the woodwork...The guy was a bust plain and simple and it does look bad...Injury after injury we stuck with this guy and probably longer than we should...Bust for sure and Walters has to wear this one AND for keeping him for far longer than maybe he should have...Can't say we didn't give the kid every opportunity to make it work and he couldn't...Lesson learned.

What's the lesson?

Just now, Stickem said:

Not hard to figure that one out....maybe when you can see it's time when the captain and every one else see's it's time to cut bait....YOU CUT BAIT

The lesson is ,"If you are going to be pushed, it's better to jump."

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

Good for him... hopefully he finds a nice career post football...

As we've seen nice hair seems to be all that matters in Canadian politics, so he could have a nice future if he runs in the next election.  Won't matter which party.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I can see the argument for not drafting Richards in the first place but I don't see what we lost by keeping him around.

I think if we only had JFG and Matt Coates as our NI options we may have drafted Danny Vandervoort at #1 instead of Ekakite. But having Richards as well at the time likely made it less of a priority so there was probably some impact to keeping him around.

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

I actually laughed at Richards' comment because only a 23 year old would think that his decision to retire from playing a game for money was the hardest one someone his age could make...

Why its a game he obviously liked playing and if its your life for the majority of your life it would be a hard choice.

42 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Not really as we didn't learn from Jade Etienne. Richards should have been released this past off season. He could have made a deal with another CFL club instead of sticking around here for a year too long. Then he'd have been another team's problem. The Bombers didn't so it's on Walters & O' Shea for not doing anything.  As far as Mike's comments on twitter goes, he is right. Certainly he isn't wrong. When Richards was collecting a paycheque he was willing to stick around. When he was demoted to the PR with the pay cut that goes with it, suddenly it's time to retire. Mike wasn't wrong in what he tweeted & Richards should have realized that is how fans would see it.  Like I said, considering our draft record, I'm willing to cut everyone associated with Richards a break as they're right a lot more than they're wrong.

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I actually laughed at Richards' comment because only a 23 year old would think that his decision to retire from playing a game for money was the hardest one someone his age could make...

It's  a relative statement based on his own experience, so I don't see how that's funny.

22 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I can see the argument for not drafting Richards in the first place but I don't see what we lost by keeping him around.

Oh come on... a CFL player still on his rookie contact?  Keeping him on the active roster these last six weeks cost us hundreds of millions  thousands  hundreds  tens of dollars!!!

I don't disagree with Richards decision as PR money isn't all that good from what I recall so if you can get more money off the field doing something else it's not the worst choice all things considered. But I don't like the timing.  As I mentioned, if we knew Richards would hang them up before the draft,  we would have picked Vandervoort.  I mentioned it before in a past draft thread in talking with my buddy he said Vandervoort was the only player we wanted that we didn't get.  And he has since said Ekakite was sold on us based on his film that hasn't transferred to pro ball...yet. With the play of Poop and Thomas, I'm really starting to think Vandervoort would have been the wiser #1 and see if Ekakitie was available at #6 (or subsequently #8 after we traded down) and go from there.  We may have missed out on Grey but who knows, maybe he would have been deemed such a future we could have gotten him at 23 instead of Conteh

8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

It's  a relative statement based on his own experience, so I don't see how that's funny.

It isn't funny. It is hard to walk away from a game you played at least for half of your life if not more. My son suffered a torn hamstring while doing off season conditioning going into his senior season at SFU in May of 2015.  Torn Hammys  are a bugger of an injury & take forever to heal.  When fall camp opened in August of 2015 he didn't take part in a lot of the drills & scrimmages as he just couldn't. It cost him the starting qb spot & his senior season turned into a miserable experience. He really couldn't play effectively until October & even then his mobility wasn't what it used to be. he liked to tuck the ball & run for positive yards or move around & evade the rush but he turned into a sitting duck at times so his playing time was limited. 

He was hoping to get a chance to play qb or receiver in the CFL but was never drafted. He did attend the Edmonton CFL combine & threw the ball well & had a 34 inch vertical. But his shuttle speeds were average & he ran a disappointing 5.2 forty when he used to be a consistent 4.6 or 4.7.  He had a free agent workout with the BC Lions in may of 2016 a full year after the hamstring injury but ran a 5.0 forty. He said he could have run faster but he felt a twinge in the hamstring & was worried he's blow it out again so he coasted during the timing. He was never offered a training camp contract so he never played again. Injuries made the decision for him but it was still hard as he played football since he was 8 years old. It was his life.

However, he was lucky as he got an offer to join the Westshore Rebels of the BCFC in the CJFL coaching qbs last year. He was lucky & is now the QB Coach & Passing Coord with the Okanagan Sun & loving it. He's still a part of the game & is now totally happy with coaching & not playing. But when a player has to leave because of personal or injury issues at a young age, it's tough. 

23 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Funny in the "Oh Addison, you have no idea what hard decisions look like, because if you did, you'd realize that this ain't one of them"

The guy is 23. Just because you never played at the CFL level & had to make that choice like that. He's young & football is all he knows. Don't be such a ****. 

11 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I don't disagree with Richards decision as PR money isn't all that good from what I recall so if you can get more money off the field doing something else it's not the worst choice all things considered. But I don't like the timing.  As I mentioned, if we knew Richards would hang them up before the draft,  we would have picked Vandervoort.  I mentioned it before in a past draft thread in talking with my buddy he said Vandervoort was the only player we wanted that we didn't get.  And he has since said Ekakite was sold on us based on his film that hasn't transferred to pro ball...yet. With the play of Poop and Thomas, I'm really starting to think Vandervoort would have been the wiser #1 and see if Ekakitie was available at #6 (or subsequently #8 after we traded down) and go from there.  We may have missed out on Grey but who knows, maybe he would have been deemed such a future we could have gotten him at 23 instead of Conteh

Where did this extra draft pick come from?

(cause otherwise, you're just making a lot of stuff up based on hindsight and presenting it as fact)