Addison Richards Retires

Noeller

5 hours ago, Nash00 said:

I just went down the Wikipedia rabbit hole that is the CFL draft and by God, I know it's beating a dead horse but those Joe Mack years... we yielded a grand total of 0 rostered players in the 2012-13 draft. Let's remember some guys:

Kito Poblah
Tyson Pencer
Jade Etienne
Christo Bilukidi
Johnny Aprile
Andy Mulumba (we all are still waiting)
Kris Robertson

All of these players were either 1st-3rd round or supplemental picks. Henoc Muamba was the only player taken in those rounds worth anything for us. Compare that to what Walters has brought in in 3 years:

Matthias Goossen
Derek Jones (4th round)
Sukh Chung
Christophe Normand (I love this guy for the small sample size we have seen)
Trent Corney
Michael Couture
Taylor Loffler
Faith Ekakitie

The jury is still out on guys like Couture, Ekakitie, Conteh and Spooner but if even one of those guys hits we have to be well over quota here. I think Walters gets a pass on the Richards pick, or at the very least you need to acknowledge his hits when slinging arrows for his misses. This isn't the NFL draft where if a guy is picked in the first 3 rounds he should be an instant starter.

Wasn't Walters head of Canadian scouting at that time? He must have had some input on player selection.

11 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Where did this extra draft pick come from?

(cause otherwise, you're just making a lot of stuff up based on hindsight and presenting it as fact)

no extra draft pick,  ultimately I'm saying we take Grey instead of Conteh at 23

My buddy works for the bombers and was in the war room with them on draft day on TSN, the things i'm saying are fact.  We got everyone we wanted except for Vandervoort.  Once he was gone before our 6th pick we traded down and took Grey. 

What i'm saying though, is if we didn't have Richards prior to the draft our need for NI receiving depth behind JFG and Coates would have likely been priority #1 and we choose Vandervoort instead of Ekakite.  However I'm not sure how coveted Ekakite was at the time of the draft other then by us who became sold on him relatively last minute based on his film work,  nothing we'd really seen in person, so I think there was a good chance he (Ekakite) would have been available to us at 6 (or 8th after the trade with Calgary) we still could have select Spooner at 15 (or Grey) and possibly one or the other at 23 instead of Conteh

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

24 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

However, he was lucky as he got an offer to join the Westshore Rebels of the BCFC in the CJFL coaching qbs last year. He was lucky & is now the QB Coach & Passing Coord with the Okanagan Sun & loving it. He's still a part of the game & is now totally happy with coaching & not playing. But when a player has to leave because of personal or injury issues at a young age, it's tough. 

Iso - if you are up here visiting your son while a Bomber game is on don't hesitate to contact me and Tacklewasher, we'd love to have you join us to watch a Bomber donnybrook.

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The guy is 23. Just because you never played at the CFL level & had to make that choice like that. He's young & football is all he knows. Don't be such a ****. 

How about this (and by the way, this is not a hypothetical example, sadly):  "Sorry Sally*, it looks like the chemo was not effective.  There's treatment available in the States, but it will cost you and you parents pretty much everything you have and there's no guarantee.  What would you like to do?  Talk it over with your husband"  That, my friend, is what "the hardest decision a 23 year old can make" looks like.  Sure, it sucks for Addison, but forgive me if I shed not a tear for the fact that he can't make a living playing a game.  He's a young man, the world is full of opportunity for him that others will never have.  

*not her real name

13 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Iso - if you are up here visiting your son while a Bomber game is on don't hesitate to contact me and Tacklewasher, we'd love to have you join us to watch a Bomber donnybrook.

I will. PM me with your name & cell #. We usually come in Sat afternoon driving from Calgary & leave Sun morning. Would you like to go to a game??? 

12 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

How about this (and by the way, this is not a hypothetical example, sadly):  "Sorry Sally*, it looks like the chemo was not effective.  There's treatment available in the States, but it will cost you and you parents pretty much everything you have and there's no guarantee.  What would you like to do?  Talk it over with your husband"  That, my friend, is what "the hardest decision a 23 year old can make" looks like.  Sure, it sucks for Addison, but forgive me if I shed not a tear for the fact that he can't make a living playing a game.  He's a young man, the world is full of opportunity for him that others will never have.  

*not her real name

You just don't get it. Comparing losing football to someone dying from cancer? C'mon man.... The kid is 23. He's not 60. Like I said don't be a .... .

24 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Wasn't Walters head of Canadian scouting at that time? He must have had some input on player selection.

Apparently Mack picked who he liked and did not take into account much input from anyone else. I believe there was several picks where Walters said they should go in a different direction.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

You just don't get it. Comparing losing football to someone dying from cancer? C'mon man.... The kid is 23. He's not 60. Like I said don't be a .... .

She was 25, but hey, if you must, by all means, grieve for Addison not being able to ride the pine  (or soak in the tub) and get paid...

Just now, WBBFanWest said:

She was 25, but hey, if you must, by all means, grieve for Addison not being able to ride the pine  (or soak in the tub) and get paid...

Whatever.  It's always tragic when anyone loses a life, especially someone who is 25. But why does Richards have to bear that cross? Totally unfair to even bring this into the conversation. My friend died in a car crash when she was 19. I still get sad thinking about her lost potential & the fact she would never get to experience her wedding day, having children & getting old with her hubby.  My parents & sister have all passed away. Should I bring them into this conversation & say Hey Addison, you have no idea what life is about? I'm glad he hasn't experienced the pain of a loss like those because it's terrible. Then again, maybe he has. Your example is totally inappropriate & taking this to the nth degree.

We simply can't "go back" and rethink these draft picks. There's no point. Everything was based on everything that was occurring at that time...not what might have been. The guy was a prospect, as are all eligible picks. It really is no big deal, especially when other picks seem to be working out well and Walters has kept his eyes open and replenished the NI receiver set. 

Time to move on, as Richards seems to have done.

12 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

We simply can't "go back" and rethink these draft picks. There's no point. Everything was based on everything that was occurring at that time...not what might have been. The guy was a prospect, as are all eligible picks. It really is no big deal, especially when other picks seem to be working out well and Walters has kept his eyes open and replenished the NI receiver set. 

Time to move on, as Richards seems to have done.

Absolutely, only reason why i brought up the hindsight of the draft was in reference to why I'm not a fan of the timing with Richards.  Atomic said he didn't think we lost anything keeping him around and I believe we did as I mentioned

31 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

On a somewhat related note. Looks like on the Rider board some posters are starting to call their 2016 first overall pick Josiah St.John "Shomari Williams" he can't make their active roster on a mediocre Saskachean offensive line. 

Still early in his career. Holding out just makes this  situation worse in Rider fans eyes. 

21 minutes ago, yogi said:

Why does this news garner 4+ pages of discussion? I feel bad for the circle jerk Drew Wolitarski is now sitting in the middle of.

Let's hope Wolitarski can show us he's the second coming of Joe Pop. No, just kidding.  I wouldn't want to put that kind of pressure on him. Would like to see him get onto the roster & contribute on ST's this season. 

3 minutes ago, do or die said:

Also referred to as...Jill. St. John.

Ever see the video where Jim Rome kept calling former Rams qb Jim Everett, Chrissy? And he came on Rome's tv talk show to kick his ass? Hillarious as he did just that. Of course, Rome is all of 175  lbs soaking wet. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Apparently Mack picked who he liked and did not take into account much input from anyone else. I believe there was several picks where Walters said they should go in a different direction.

Yeah the best example is how Walters wanted them to take that bust of an OL 1st overall but Mack over ruled him and went with Muamba instead. 

Here is the thing, Walters ain't untouchable when it comes to drafting, he's just collected a lot of draft picks lately and some have worked others haven't and overall it's improved the depth of the NIs on the team. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah the best example is how Walters wanted them to take that bust of an OL 1st overall but Mack over ruled him and went with Muamba instead. 

Here is the thing, Walters ain't untouchable when it comes to drafting, he's just collected a lot of draft picks lately and some have worked others haven't and overall it's improved the depth of the NIs on the team. 

Walters still picked them.  He didn't make many mistakes. You seriously can't still be sticking up for Mack, can you?