Is it known which Western team tried to grab Spooner off PR??

Booch

6 hours ago, bigg jay said:

They get housing or a housing allowance for sure.  Not sure what other perks they might get.

probably lots of food at the stadium... their salary is basically "walking around" money... as long as they don't have 4 kids to support they will be just fine...

Here's the thing about someone trying to pluck Spooner....to me, there's a big difference between plucking a generic import player on the PR and plucking a highly touted NI OL that we just drafted this year.. There should be some kind of rule about "entry level players" (first 2 years or something...) and how they can't be poached.

50 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

If it's true that they get paid a minimum of 750.00 per week (39k per year) plus housing, they're not doing too bad.  Granted, it's not starter money, but they're not going to have to sell pencils on Pembina street corners after practice to make ends meet.

That's $750 a week, for the 20 weeks of the season. It's nothing. 

23 minutes ago, yogi said:

Right.  15k versus at least 52k for someone on the active roster.  Plus the opportunity to actually play.  You'd have to be pretty damn confident in your current situation (or lacking the confidence in your ability to play) to turn down that offer from another team.  More money and more opportunity.

1 hour ago, yogi said:

15k plus housing&perks for 20 weeks?  I know lots of people who would be thrilled with that.  Again, I realize that compared to a rostered spot it's not a lot, but they're being taken care of as they work their way onto the active roster.

Just now, WBBFanWest said:

15k plus housing&perks for 20 weeks?  I know lots of people who would be thrilled with that.  Again, I realize that compared to a rostered spot it's not a lot, but they're being taken care of as they work their way onto the active roster.

it ain't peanuts thats for sure.. plus they get to train and practice with the team and continue to chase their dream..  I'd hardly say they are suffering on the PR... 

compared to active roster.. sure.  compared to burger flipping?  Id take the PR spot over my gig right now lol.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Here's the thing about someone trying to pluck Spooner....to me, there's a big difference between plucking a generic import player on the PR and plucking a highly touted NI OL that we just drafted this year.. There should be some kind of rule about "entry level players" (first 2 years or something...) and how they can't be poached.

I was just thinking this to be honest .. what's the point of the draft if you can simply pluck someone's draft pick off the PR .. it would be one thing if there was some measure of compensation involved (ie. compensatory pick the following year in the round in which the player was drafted for example) but in lieu of that .. Come on man.

40 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

35 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

it ain't peanuts thats for sure.. plus they get to train and practice with the team and continue to chase their dream..  I'd hardly say they are suffering on the PR... 

compared to active roster.. sure.  compared to burger flipping?  Id take the PR spot over my gig right now lol.

That's 18.75 an hour, only 6 to 7 bucks above minimum wage, it's peanuts. Most farmers have seasonal jobs available and they have to pay more than this plus room & board if they want to hire anyone (Just giving a comparison to other seasonal work). 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

That's 18.75 an hour, only 6 to 7 bucks above minimum wage, it's peanuts. Most farmers have seasonal jobs available and they have to pay more than this plus room & board if they want to hire anyone (Just giving a comparison to other seasonal work). 

you factoring in the housing and food allowances that they get?  what about perks like gym memberships and whatever else?  You can't just assume that its 750 a week, done.  

7 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

you factoring in the housing and food allowances that they get?  what about perks like gym memberships and whatever else?  You can't just assume that its 750 a week, done.  

That's why I compared to farmers, they usually provide room & board. Without the perks, no one would stay on the practice roster. 

14 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Let me just say that if you're thinking that 18.75 an hour is "peanuts" then I hope you recognize how fortunate you are.

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

Fair enough - but I still don't think a practice roster salary should be expected to translate into any kind of loyalty from the players. 

I dunno, Id like to think that some players integrity may come into play.. IE we give this player his shot at being a pro, so he in turn shows us loyalty but not jumping ship to supposed greener pastures.   Now, this wouldn't hold water if team A has no obvious path to player becoming a starter in any foreseeable future and team B can offer it quicker.    I'd like to see something along the lines of making players drafted this year untouchable for at least the following season so we don't need to worry about them being lured away tho..

It doesn't matter if $15,000 would be a great paycheque for a person in poverty.  When someone offers you a drastically higher payday than what you're getting, do you sit there and say "Oh well I'm already doing better than a poor person, why do I need even more?"  Nobody thinks like that and it would be absurd to expect someone to.

Just now, Atomic said:

It doesn't matter if $15,000 would be a great paycheque for a person in poverty.  When someone offers you a drastically higher payday than what you're getting, do you sit there and say "Oh well I'm already doing better than a poor person, why do I need even more?"  Nobody thinks like that and it would be absurd to expect someone to.

Ummmmm...

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd like to see a rule that first year NIs could not be plucked from the PR.

I think the only way that happens is if PR players were compensated better than the equivalent of $18.75 an hour. That's a laughable wage for someone who's considered a professional athlete.

Loyalty comes second to increased remuneration in most professions, anyway... If not any profession. If employer B is willing to offer me more money than employer A, loyalty be damned.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Are we really arguing that a player wouldn't want an active spot on another team because he was already doing "good enough" on the practice roster?

It's the most ridiculous thing to argue.  It's like an employee going into the boss's office looking for a raise and the boss starts lecturing the employee on how much the bums outside would love to be making his salary.

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Are we really arguing that a player wouldn't want an active spot on another team because he was already doing "good enough" on the practice roster?

No.. not at all.. we are discussing why they would leave and how it makes sense lol.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

It's the most ridiculous thing to argue.  It's like an employee going into the boss's office looking for a raise and the boss starts lecturing the employee on how much the bums outside would love to be making his salary.

I don't see anyone arguing that they would/should stay if offered a starting gig.. I think you guys are failing on the reading comprehension lol.