Is it known which Western team tried to grab Spooner off PR??

Booch

48 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

That's 18.75 an hour, only 6 to 7 bucks above minimum wage, it's peanuts. Most farmers have seasonal jobs available and they have to pay more than this plus room & board if they want to hire anyone (Just giving a comparison to other seasonal work). 

Who wants to hoe potatoes?

15 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

I don't see anyone arguing that they would/should stay if offered a starting gig.. I think you guys are failing on the reading comprehension lol.

So what's the point of bringing up how fortunate these players are to be making the PR salary?  Just for fun?

Let's not lose sight of the benefits of the PR for both the player and the team. It's development and learning for both. It's also part of the team philosophy and whether the player 'buys' into the program. The remuneration should only be a part of the big picture, if the player can see it. It's temporary. 

It seems the majority of players are fine with that role. But each decision is personal and if those involved are of like mind, then all is good. 

Some Guys would rather sign for Saskatchewan over BC. Those are the ones that seem weird to me. It doesn't take into account the whole picture. Sure, there was short term gain, but how about long term results?

Anyways, I'm really glad the lovin Spooner wants to spend summer in the city over leaving for perceived greener grass somewhere else...

9 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Let's not lose sight of the benefits of the PR for both the player and the team. It's development and learning for both. It's also part of the team philosophy and whether the player 'buys' into the program. The remuneration should only be a part of the big picture, if the player can see it. It's temporary. 

It seems the majority of players are fine with that role. But each decision is personal and if those involved are of like mind, then all is good. 

Some Guys would rather sign for Saskatchewan over BC. Those are the ones that seem weird to me. It doesn't take into account the whole picture. Sure, there was short term gain, but how about long term results?

Anyways, I'm really glad the lovin Spooner wants to spend summer in the city over leaving for perceived greener grass somewhere else...

I think confidence plays a part in it.  A player in BC might be saying "Hey I'm good enough to play now."  They might even look at Saskatchewan and say "Wow, I could start on their OL right now."  I think that is the root of the decision.  Players believing that they are better than the PR.  Some might be right, some might be wrong.  But guys who make it to the pro ranks are usually not short on self-confidence so they might be willing to take the risk.

40 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Just to clear up any speculation in the thread, Spooner was indeed offered a spot on another team, and he declined it.  Flat out. 

39 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

No.. not at all.. we are discussing why they would leave and how it makes sense lol.

Well, I wasn't about to yell "SOURCE!!!" but I wasn't sure.

I haven't seen any media or team reference to this anywhere.  Of course, I haven't gone looking either.  So it did seem like a bunch of speculation based on a move to the IR was possibly the real story and there wasn't any substance to it.

Just now, mbrg said:

Well, I wasn't about to yell "SOURCE!!!" but I wasn't sure.

I haven't seen any media or team reference to this anywhere.  Of course, I haven't gone looking either.  So it did seem like a bunch of speculation based on a move to the IR was possibly the real story and there wasn't any substance to it.

source would be Booch who mentioned one of his friends had discussed it with him.. turns out trueblue validated the original comment.  very cool of Spooner to say thanks but no thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think confidence plays a part in it.  A player in BC might be saying "Hey I'm good enough to play now."  They might even look at Saskatchewan and say "Wow, I could start on their OL right now."  I think that is the root of the decision.  Players believing that they are better than the PR.  Some might be right, some might be wrong.  But guys who make it to the pro ranks are usually not short on self-confidence so they might be willing to take the risk.

Communication is a big part too.  If the coaches are explaining how they are planning to turn him from a PR guy into a starter, and the timeframe for it, and what work he needs to do to make it happen, then the player has something to buy into.  The evidence would indicate Spooner has bought into the Bombers org. and the plans they have for him.

13 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I see what ya did there.  lol

Just now, SPuDS said:

source would be Booch who mentioned one of his friends had discussed it with him.. turns out trueblue validated the original comment.  very cool of Spooner to say thanks but no thanks. 

Yes, and no disrespect to Booch, but I don't consider him a source.  Not unless he wants to give some credentials as to why he should be considered a source.  Or alternatively, establish a track record over time that he can be considered trustworthy even without presenting credentials.

So far, I will only give him credit for being reasonably intelligent and knowledgeable about football, and does not show noticeable signs of frequent meth usage.

I will only post things like that from facts I know as being accurate..rarely speculate, and what Credentials are you requiring...and define credentials. I a while back stated some street cred in a diffident thread, or could have been on the other site...don't remember.

Also I won't divulge what I know or have been graced with inside knowledge of whom told me. Too many character assasinations on boards like this and people a lot of times tend to let things get too personal.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I will only post things like that from facts I know as being accurate..rarely speculate, and what Credentials are you requiring...and define credentials. I a while back stated some street cred in a diffident thread, or could have been on the other site...don't remember.

Also I won't divulge what I know or have been graced with inside knowledge of whom told me. Too many character assasinations on boards like this and people a lot of times tend to let things get too personal.

Credentials?  Well if your handle read Ed Tait rather than Booch, that would be simple enough.  People have different approaches to life on the internet.  I have no interest in revealing tons of personal details to internet strangers either (I'm assuming your parents didn't name you Booch).  All that means is it takes longer to establish a track record than if you weren't using a pen name.  Keyboard name?

Mike, for example, both uses his real name and has established a track record over many years.  And is a mod.

I am not dismissing anything you say, in fact, I appreciate you sharing, but until I've formed an opinion otherwise, I take every insider tidbit from every poster here with a grain of salt.

It's early in our relationship.  I'm not willing to go to third base with you yet.

26 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Yes, and no disrespect to Booch, but I don't consider him a source.  Not unless he wants to give some credentials as to why he should be considered a source.  Or alternatively, establish a track record over time that he can be considered trustworthy even without presenting credentials.

So far, I will only give him credit for being reasonably intelligent and knowledgeable about football, and does not show noticeable signs of frequent meth usage.

Not biased at all...but have been heavily involved in the sport...in Canada and the U.S, and in the business side and recruitment methods, not to mention still have ties with higher ranking management people on many teams so I think that I do have a pretty intimate amount of info into these things, moreso than most people on here.

As well as being involved in player recruitment and development in the U.S  and whats involved in it, and who and where a lot of the deep thinkers are this is not an uncommon practice and it's actually promoted....but hey...opinions vary and people will say/post/vouch for what they believe in or think they know...

Been kicking around the boards since original OB days

Played both U.S and Canadian ball...NCAA and went to 3 camps but 8 surgeries on my right knee two of which were reconstructions, and 2 on my left didn't allow me to pass any physicals anymore to the point were i was un-insurable so I decided to join the real world

Used to train with Quincy Williams, James West, Ty Jones and Davis Bovell, and was involved with player development, training and conditioning in San Jose, Oakland and San Fran area.

Worked at regional combines and Pro Days at San Jose State, Sacramento State and a smaller junior college (Diablo Valley)

Thus a bit of insider knowledge about Charlie Roberts and Taman's keen eye and not wanting to bring him here and saying he would never make it due to his size, small hands and no speed...He was recruited basically by Ryland Wickman insistence of him  being brought in to camp.

to save re-typing this is me

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Not biased at all...but have been heavily involved in the sport...in Canada and the U.S, and in the business side and recruitment methods, not to mention still have ties with higher ranking management people on many teams so I think that I do have a pretty intimate amount of info into these things, moreso than most people on here.

As well as being involved in player recruitment and development in the U.S  and whats involved in it, and who and where a lot of the deep thinkers are this is not an uncommon practice and it's actually promoted....but hey...opinions vary and people will say/post/vouch for what they believe in or think they know...

Been kicking around the boards since original OB days

Played both U.S and Canadian ball...NCAA and went to 3 camps but 8 surgeries on my right knee two of which were reconstructions, and 2 on my left didn't allow me to pass any physicals anymore to the point were i was un-insurable so I decided to join the real world

Used to train with Quincy Williams, James West, Ty Jones and Davis Bovell, and was involved with player development, training and conditioning in San Jose, Oakland and San Fran area.

Worked at regional combines and Pro Days at San Jose State, Sacramento State and a smaller junior college (Diablo Valley)

Thus a bit of insider knowledge about Charlie Roberts and Taman's keen eye and not wanting to bring him here and saying he would never make it due to his size, small hands and no speed...He was recruited basically by Ryland Wickman insistence of him  being brought in to camp.

to save re-typing this is me

Alright.  Third base it is then.

8 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Credentials?  Well if your handle read Ed Tait rather than Booch, that would be simple enough.  People have different approaches to life on the internet.  I have no interest in revealing tons of personal details to internet strangers either (I'm assuming your parents didn't name you Booch).  All that means is it takes longer to establish a track record than if you weren't using a pen name.  Keyboard name?

Mike, for example, both uses his real name and has established a track record over many years.  And is a mod.

I am not dismissing anything you say, in fact, I appreciate you sharing, but until I've formed an opinion otherwise, I take every insider tidbit from every poster here with a grain of salt.

It's early in our relationship.  I'm not willing to go to third base with you yet.

Actually my grand father named me that, as a 5 year old and it stuck and is what I have gone by ever since, and most people I have associations know me strictly as that...Many never actually knew my real name, many still don't, but when they find out it makes sense and then know exactly who I am. For all intents and purposes though my legal name is Robert, but I go as Mark...,always a mystery lol

When I got married and the Rev said my name, all you could hear was murmers and whispering and I had to turn around and say ...btw...yes that is my actual name...haha...and thats just how I like things...

Edited by Booch

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Actually my grand father named me that, as a 5 year old and it stuck and is what I have gone by ever since, and most people I have associations know me strictly as that...Many never actually knew my real name, many still don't, but when they find out it makes sense and then know exactly who I am. For all intents and purposes though my legal name is Robert, but I go as Mark...,always a mystery lol

Thanks so much for your input Booch,  I, for one, am glad to hear, as mbrg said, that you do not show noticeable signs of frequent meth usage!