EDMONTON over ottawa

Mr Dee

7 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Everyone hated Burris but he was a leader and a difference maker .... he made receivers ... the grit and determination was there .... Harris is not at that level to bring everyone's game up ... Desjardin and Campbell should drag Henry out of his TSN perch, get him into shape, and take another run at that Grey thing ... or they can yawn and we can go back to sleep on thus franchise .... talk about going from heroes to bums .... go Blue Jays!

Not sure how you would expect them to pay for Burris and what you would have to cut.

I think Ottawa is close. Two teams in the East are going to make the playoffs. I think you let the team come together and figure things out. Harris is the future and needs experience and reps.

54 minutes ago, Zontar said:

At his best Harris is an average QB.

This is what you get with average QBing.  Competitive, close games but not enough to get you beyond that.

He leads the league in passing yards and passing TDs, has a 4:1 TD/INT ratio, and is on pace for a career season.

How is that average? What ails the RedBlacks has little to nothing to do with the QB.

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

There are no cool bands anymore. They are all auto tune fools. 

completely disagree with the first part.... there is plenty of auto-tuned garbage out there... but also a ton of awesome rock bands that don't get main stream attention...

I am not a huge Shania Twain fan (mostly cuz I'm not a pop-country fan)... but this seems like a safe and popular choice for the CFL... probably not winning over the younger fans with this announcement...

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

He leads the league in passing yards and passing TDs, has a 4:1 TD/INT ratio, and is on pace for a career season.

How is that average? What ails the RedBlacks has little to nothing to do with the QB.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "nothing to do with the QB." In crunch time, his inexperience showed and the clock management was poor. That's poor coaching and inexperience.

Just now, JCon said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say "nothing to do with the QB." In crunch time, his inexperience showed and the clock management was poor. That's poor coaching and inexperience.

Which is why I said "little to nothing." ;)

No doubt when the game is on the line, he's struggled. I do think he does enough to put his team into a position to win more often than not, though.

Poor starts/finishes and an inability to defend a lead are far more prevalent issues for the RedBlacks than who's chucking the ball, IMO.

Like Nichols gets a tag that he just a game manager/average because he doesn't have the sexy stats, but he wins...leads by example and appears when chips are down you can tie your wagon to him and there a great chance he is going to get you the win, and not make a mental error

Conversely Harris has all these stats, gets all kinds of accolades for them, but what has he won?..He tends to choke...is prone to errors and seems to fade and drop off a cliff each year as the season winds down

Gimme Nichols 10 times out of 10 as my guy at QB.  The guy has heart, guts and fire...has total respect from his team and will do whatever it takes for them, and they feed of it and would do anything for him.

Now thats a true leader and a guy you wanna hitch your wagon to, sexy stats be damned...gimme wins and the respect his team shows him (which is all that matters in my books) and he will get his due across the league.

Also...he is also just a likeable and decent guy to boot...no ego...no agenda....all things which are icing on top of the cake

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

At his best Harris is an average QB.

This is what you get with average QBing.  Competitive, close games but not enough to get you beyond that.

Earlier in the season you made a comment about Brett Maher having fine numbers but making mistakes at the worst possible times.  That couldn't have been more true.  He and Trevor Harris are similar in that way.

18 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Which is why I said "little to nothing." ;)

No doubt when the game is on the line, he's struggled. I do think he does enough to put his team into a position to win more often than not, though.

Poor starts/finishes and an inability to defend a lead are far more prevalent issues for the RedBlacks than who's chucking the ball, IMO.

How many two and outs did they have?  The defence kept giving them the ball back and Harris either completed a 2 yard pass, got sacked, or threw it incomplete.  He was not good.  Maybe that's on the receivers... it's hard to tell on TV.  But if they still had Burris they would not be 1-6-1 and they may have won last night.  Harris just isn't there yet.

34 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Earlier in the season you made a comment about Brett Maher having fine numbers but making mistakes at the worst possible times.  That couldn't have been more true.  He and Trevor Harris are similar in that way.

Maher isnt missed here to say the least.

I stand by my comments on Harris. If stats give one comfort then so be it but he wasnt a winner in TOR and won't be in OTT.

25 minutes ago, Atomic said:

How many two and outs did they have?  The defence kept giving them the ball back and Harris either completed a 2 yard pass, got sacked, or threw it incomplete.  He was not good.  Maybe that's on the receivers... it's hard to tell on TV.  But if they still had Burris they would not be 1-6-1 and they may have won last night.  Harris just isn't there yet.

You're right. When it was crunch time, he was not good. Harris obviously lacks the veteran savvy Burris had but the talent, which is well above average, is there.

Then again, the team as a whole hasn't been good this season when it mattered most, hence the lousy record.

Maher has cost them big-time,  the last 2 weeks.  
RedBlack O simply died out, in the late stages.....in other words, Ottawa simply found yet another way to lose a close game.  
Esks not pretty, but unbeaten is....unbeaten.  For my money..... Reilly is the runaway MVP, at this point in time.

Edited by do or die

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yea if Nichols wasn't showing so well, I'd take Harris in a heartbeat.   He isn't the issue in Ottawa.  I really don't know what the issue is tbh.   The defense is solid, offense is pretty good when its on.. o-line is a little suspect but otherwise. very baffling.. its like they just can't get it all together... maybe it reall does boil down to coaching.

33 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Maher isnt missed here to say the least.

I stand by my comments on Harris. If stats give one comfort then so be it but he wasnt a winner in TOR and won't be in OTT.

yea I'm glad he didn't stick long here either. hes adequate but thats about it.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Conversely Harris has all these stats, gets all kinds of accolades for them, but what has he won?..He tends to choke...is prone to errors and seems to fade and drop off a cliff each year as the season winds down

This x 100! Been saying since the off season that Ottawa won't be the same team cause Harris can't win. I'm sure losing the talent all over has certainly hurt them. But when you have a QB that can win, the talent around them gets better ie Reilly.

I'm starting to think MTL might win the East this year.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm starting to think MTL might win the East this year.

They appear to be the most complete team in the East.  They beat Calgary and suffered close losses to BC, Winnipeg and Edmonton.  They have a good defence and are pretty solid across the board on offence.  I expect them to come on strong as the season progresses.

33 minutes ago, Atomic said:

They appear to be the most complete team in the East.  They beat Calgary and suffered close losses to BC, Winnipeg and Edmonton.  They have a good defence and are pretty solid across the board on offence.  I expect them to come on strong as the season progresses.

How could you fail to bring up their most GLORIOUS win of the year?.. Beating the most boring stinkhole province of canada in devastating fashion on a missed field goal.

Edited by Judd