Matt Nichols, Elite quarterback?

SPuDS

Is Matt Nichols "elite"?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. there seems to be much debate on this on social media and some blogs.. so, I ask.. Is Matt Nichols an Elite level QB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not quite yet but almost
    • undecided

Just now, Noeller said:

No......can he be? Yes.

I'm thinking so too.. when we first brought him in, I honestly only saw him as a gate keeper of sorts..  this season and the tail end of last year has made me a believer.   I think if his trend continues, I can't see why we won't be speaking his name in the same breath as Mitchell or Reilly..  hes already shown that he does have that "it" factor when the chips are down.. 

i dont see him as elite in the Mitchell/Reilly sense as he does not have the physical abilities of those two, but he might be one of the toughest competitors i have seen in the CFL recently.  He is a tough SOB with above average (but not elite) skill.  He wont win MOPs or even be a West All-Star but im stoked he is our starter and believe he can win us a cup, granted Richie Hall gives him some support.  He has surpassed my expectations and i think he will get better.    

Not elite yet, but is very very good, and gives you a chance or the opportunity to win every game...can't ask for more than that.

I also think he is one of the smarter quarterbacks in the league, who won't try to do too much and try to by the hero and force things when they aren't there....very important trait.

He is only going to get better as I don't think he has hit his ceiling yet

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

No......can he be? Yes.

Exactly. He's putting together a solid resume as a Blue Bomber, fantastic W/L ratio, a handful of gritty comeback wins, making those tough throws I frankly can't recall a BB QB in the last 10 years making.

But he's still missing that final little something, that x-factor. That special something where the game is in the line and the fans think he will win it, not he can win it. 

Keep playing like he has and he'll get there. Fingers crossed.

Right now he is top level.

Amongst other things, his comeback wins prove it. Comeback wins are accomplished by elite quarterbacks.

Question is can he keep it up. Hope so. I think it might be a bit bumpy, but would answer yes he can keep it up.

Bo Mitchell has looked average at best in some of the games I've seen this season.

Too bad we can't do a fantasy game, with the Quarterbacks for Calgary and Wpg swapped.

Good post Spuds.

Edited by Mark F
spelling error left e out of comeback.

Nichols is what I hopped Buck Pierce would have been, i see a lot of similarities in their personality/demeanor.  

Edit (added):

I also think he is a good fit for the city, humble lunch-bucket type.  If he can get us a cup he will be a legend in this city for the rest of his life.  

Edited by peggars

2 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

This is really crazy. Why do we feel the need to lump him into the group of elites? He's fine and we're winning. Put his numbers against Mitchell and Reilly and it's no contest. Watch Mitchell and Reilly play against him and it's no contest. 

His numbers are same/slightly better than Bo's right now on a per game basis this year

Edited by peggars

3 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

This is really crazy. Why do we feel the need to lump him into the group of elites? He's fine and we're winning. Put his numbers against Mitchell and Reilly and it's no contest. Watch Mitchell and Reilly play against him and it's no contest. 

Same number of TD passes as Reilly and his per game numbers are essentially a wash with BLM (BLM 297 passing yards per game with 1.85 TD passes per game to 292 passing yards per game and 1.83 passing TDs per game).

He's not on the same level as Mitchell and Reilly, so no, I can't call him elite.

As others have said though, he's playing more than well enough to win us games and if the rest of our team can raise their level of play, he could be a Grey Cup winning QB, no question.

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Hes top 3

Its been 19 and hes 14 and 5 in those games. Thats elite but i went with option 3... Not yet but getting there. 

Compare his numbers to Reilly and Mitchell over those 19 games. He is the quarterback of a team that is winning. As happy as I am that the team is winning, his impact on the team's success is less than Reilly's and Mitchell's. 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Hes top 3

Its been 19 and hes 14 and 5 in those games. Thats elite but i went with option 3... Not yet but getting there. 

True.

Mike Reilly got his shot late in life (He was 28 first season in Edmonton) and is really coming into his own. No reason why Matt, who is in his first season as a starter, can't continue to grow his game the way Reilly has.

5 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Compare his numbers to Reilly and Mitchell over those 19 games. He is the quarterback of a team that is winning. As happy as I am that the team is winning, his impact on the team's success is less than Reilly's and Mitchell's. 

What? So your argument is hes a qb of a team who is winning? Then what the heck are BLM and Reilly? Bottom line.. You take BLM or Reilly away from their teams.. They probably still win.. Do we? I dont think so. Pretty ignorant to ignore his 14 and 5 record as bomber starter... And he never will be BLM or Reilly... But that doesn't mean hes not elite. Hes one of the top 3 QBs in the league. Thats elite. Not sure what more he has to do to prove it. I mean besides the tsn hype machine... Whats the difference between the 3? 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Goalie said:

What? So your argument is hes a qb of a team who is winning? Then what the heck are BLM and Mitchell.. Bottom line.. You take BLM or Reilly away from their teams.. They probably still win.. Do we? I dont think so. Pretty ignorant to ignore his 14 and 5 record as bomber starter... And he never will be BLM or Reilly... But that doesn't mean hes not elite. Hes one of the top 3 QBs in the league. Thats elite. Not sure what more he has to do to prove it. 

My argument is because the team is winning, he is going to be overrated because the QB is always going to get a lot of credit. I'll give him some, he's done enough to not lose more often than not but record is easily the worst way to measure a QB in terms of actual ability. I would argue there is no conceivable way that he is top 3 but even if he were, he is so far behind your top 2 that it would be disingenuous to suggest that he is "elite" solely because he's third in your ranking. 

Just now, AKAChip said:

My argument is because the team is winning, he is going to be overrated because the QB is always going to get a lot of credit. I'll give him some, he's done enough to not lose more often than not but record is easily the worst way to measure a QB in terms of actual ability. I would argue there is no conceivable way that he is top 3 but even if he were, he is so far behind your top 2 that it would be disingenuous to suggest that he is "elite" solely because he's third in your ranking. 

I think you buy in to the TSN hype machine a bit 2 much.