Matt Nichols, Elite quarterback?

SPuDS

Is Matt Nichols "elite"?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. there seems to be much debate on this on social media and some blogs.. so, I ask.. Is Matt Nichols an Elite level QB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not quite yet but almost
    • undecided

Just now, Ripper said:

Lets see where he is at when the season is over.  He has been better this year so far, that I agree with. 

You labelled him a ham & egger and then when others call you out on that garbage, you refuse to explain, deflect, and then contradict yourself.

Rider fans...

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

You labelled him a ham & egger and then when others call you out on that garbage, you refuse to explain, deflect, and then contradict yourself.

Rider fans...

And I don't even know how to spell Story correctly.  I do make some good ribs on the barbeque if that helps

I wouldn't call any qb elite until they at least have one cup.  

But to call him a ham ' n ' egger is LUDICROUS. 

Kevin Glenn is the epitome of ham'n'egger... so many  years so many teams and such mediocre results.  He is the perfect example of one. 

17 hours ago, Noeller said:

I would guess the defensive tendency in that situation is to sit defenders down on the 1st down marker, and take that away...so a lot of the time, only the underneath routes are available. Now, again, nothing is ever 100% the same all the time, but.....

this is also ignoring the fact that defenses are getting progressively better in the league and not every play is going to have someone wide open for those yards.. sometimes we simply need to give it to a a guy and hope he can get the YAC.     is what it is.  not every play is going to have a chance to pan out for the plus..  will say that on the whole, our play calling HAS set us up for lots of success this season.. I can't remember a game where we only had  2 2 and outs in.. forever.

You want elite numbers, Ripper? And you want to know how and why Nichols has better numbers than Glenn?

Nichols has put up 40 points more than Glenn - that's nearly 6 a game. Nichols has turned the ball over half as often as Glenn.

He's first in the league for points scored for crying out loud. Nichols has elite numbers. The only thing preventing me from calling him elite is he hasn't beat Calgary yet. Or, I guess .. Edmonton.

If Nichols comes out and hammers Edmonton tonight, I may have to just change my mind once and for all. 

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

You want elite numbers, Ripper? And you want to know how and why Nichols has better numbers than Glenn?

Nichols has put up 40 points more than Glenn - that's nearly 6 a game. Nichols has turned the ball over half as often as Glenn.

He's first in the league for points scored for crying out loud. Nichols has elite numbers. The only thing preventing me from calling him elite is he hasn't beat Calgary yet. Or, I guess .. Edmonton.

If Nichols comes out and hammers Edmonton tonight, I may have to just change my mind once and for all. 

He beat Edmonton one year ago, to start our run....

Edmonton has played Calgary or us yet ;) I wouldn't call them elite just yet. They're a good football team. Are they as good as there 7-0 record indicates? Probably  not but give them credit for pulling through in crunch time. Reilly and Nichols are very similar in that manner. Both QB's are one and two respectfully in fourth quarter comebacks this season. I think this game will go down to the wire again. Hopefully we can put a ***** in the armor. If we win we're only one game out of first and up 1-0 on the season series. How crazy is that.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I meant he needs to beat a team viewed as "elite", Edmonton wasn't that kind of team last year. 

I'd argue vehemently Edmonton isn't that team this year.......they might be VIEWED that way, but they sure as hell aren't, in reality...

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

How are they more elite this season than they were last season?

Again, he said "viewed" as elite......that's the key there. Quality of their opponents be damned, their record is how the outside world is seeing the Esks this year...

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

How are they more elite this season than they were last season?

Well they finished 10-8 and in 4th last season as opposed to this year when they are 7-0 and alone in first.  I guess we'll see where it all shakes down by the end, but they look like they are far better this year.

21 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Well they finished 10-8 and in 4th last season as opposed to this year when they are 7-0 and alone in first.  I guess we'll see where it all shakes down by the end, but they look like they are far better this year.

the only thing that looks far better is their record. If you watch the games, they're actually worse....having said that, it's because of injuries. At full health, there's no doubt that's a great team. But they're down to like 3rd and 4th stringers in some cases....that roster, as of now, is not a good team. They've been getting by, by beating Hamilton and Ottawa and Montreal (6 of their 7 W's)

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the only thing that looks far better is their record. If you watch the games, they're actually worse....having said that, it's because of injuries. At full health, there's no doubt that's a great team. But they're down to like 3rd and 4th stringers in some cases....that roster, as of now, is not a good team. They've been getting by, by beating Hamilton and Ottawa and Montreal (6 of their 7 W's)

I'm sure they didn't look better in their 8 losses last year than they have in their 7 wins this year.

We're 5-2 and a really good team.  I've been really impressed by Nichold this year. But, our two losses were due to Nichols self destructing. He, although to be fair, along with the rest of the O played horrible in the second half against Calgary and then in the 4th against BC.

It would be nice to see us go out there and beat one of the contenders instead of just beating up on the East +Riders.

21 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

We're 5-2 and a really good team.  I've been really impressed by Nichold this year. But, our two losses were due to Nichols self destructing. He, although to be fair, along with the rest of the O played horrible in the second half against Calgary and then in the 4th against BC.

It would be nice to see us go out there and beat one of the contenders instead of just beating up on the East +Riders.

Sorry but got to call you out on this one. We lost to bc because of Nichols? 

The D gets a pass for allowing 45 points?.?? 

16 minutes ago, White Out said:

Sorry but got to call you out on this one. We lost to bc because of Nichols? 

The D gets a pass for allowing 45 points?.?? 

Yeah I have a hard time placing that game at the feet of Nichols.  The bizarre Medlock fake punt and the defence have as much or more to do with it.  That said, Nichols did throw a pick at a really bad time and he has to wear that.