Bruce Johnson Released

TrueBlue

I dont buy that. Was there ever a clear understanding of what his injury was to start the season? I noticed he didnt tweet at all after training camp. I wonder if this was more of a demotion than injury and he was cranky. Remembering how much MOS was creaming himself about Carmichael in camp. Maybe he was tired of sitting on the bench watching Carmichael get roasted and asked to be released.

3 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I dont buy that. Was there ever a clear understanding of what his injury was to start the season? I noticed he didnt tweet at all after training camp. I wonder if this was more of a demotion than injury and he was cranky. Remembering how much MOS was creaming himself about Carmichael in camp. Maybe he was tired of sitting on the bench watching Carmichael get roasted and asked to be released.

Unlikely to say the least. Like bro..you are reaching BIGTIME

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Unlikely to say the least. Like bro..you are reaching BIGTIME

I dont think its really that much of a reach to be honest. No one had any idea what his "injury" was. These guys are always spewing out tweets and Johnson was no exception, all through training camp, then nothing. Even after all those comebacks and late wins, no re-tweets, nothing at all? Almost seems like he wasnt feeling part of the team anymore. You release a serviceable veteran DB for "roster management" reasons? The whole thing just seems odd.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

26 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I dont buy that. Was there ever a clear understanding of what his injury was to start the season?

O'Shea not prepared to speak on the severity of Bruce Johnson's lower-arm injury. Had been sporting a cast. No timeline. Doubtful Saturday.

https://twitter.com/DarrinBauming/status/879776111642779649

34 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I dont think its really that much of a reach to be honest. No one had any idea what his "injury" was. These guys are always spewing out tweets and Johnson was no exception, all through training camp, then nothing. Even after all those comebacks and late wins, no re-tweets, nothing at all? Almost seems like he wasnt feeling part of the team anymore. You release a serviceable veteran DB for "roster management" reasons? The whole thing just seems odd.

SMS plays a role.. Attitude plays a role.. If he indeed was pouting watching ROC get lit up.. He wasnt.. He was injured but if he was.. And he was doing all this other stuff you assumed then.. Dont let the door hit you on the way out cuz all it takes is 1 bad apple to poison the whole bunch. Id imagine him not being worth his salary played a huge role and.. You can talk about Roc all you want but.. Roc is on the corner now and Walker and Fogg took Johnsons spot..altho in a way.. Walker took Foggs spot and Fogg took Johnsons but ya... Who do you sit if Johnson is healthy? Tough decision cuz u aint sitting Roc since hes a CB so of Walker (looks good) Fogg(punt returner extraordinaire) or Johnson (hasnt played in a very long time and making bank). Choice is obvious in a sport where SMS matters. 

Edited by Goalie

Can't believe Roc stole Johnson's job, no way.  I could understand Walker and Alexander upgrading the over-all talent of the D-backfield but not Roc.  He's had one decent game and if it wasn't for the rule change limiting challenges he may have  incurred two more costly P.I. penalties last game.  Now if Bruce lost his job to Walker fair and square I can see that.  Walker looks to be a dynamo play-maker and should help out against the running game, an area that neither Johnson or Heath are very proficient.

LB crew is a downgrade this year from last, hope to god the D-backs don't grade weaker as well as it will render the improved performance of the offence and D-line null and void if they can't show that they are a better over-all team than last year.   This defence might hold their own against weaker sisters but time will tell if thy are good enough to contain the top offences in the league.

7 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Can't believe Roc stole Johnson's job, no way.  I could understand Walker and Alexander upgrading the over-all talent of the D-backfield but not Roc.  He's had one decent game and if it wasn't for the rule change limiting challenges he may have  incurred two more costly P.I. penalties last game.  Now if Bruce lost his job to Walker fair and square I can see that.  Walker looks to be a dynamo play-maker and should help out against the running game, an area that neither Johnson or Heath are very proficient.

I might argue this is the case... Last game (the best we've had from field side all season) had Brian Walker at HB (Bruce's old spot) and Carmichael at CB... maybe the team sees: Randle - Heath - Loffler - Walker - Alexander as the best secondary we can dress...  not sure I would disagree...

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I might argue this is the case... Last game (the best we've had from field side all season) had Brian Walker at HB (Bruce's old spot) and Carmichael at CB... maybe the team sees: Randle - Heath - Loffler - Walker - Alexander as the best secondary we can dress...  not sure I would disagree...

Yeah I agree with this, and it wouldn't make sense to pay starter-money to Bruce Johnson to be the 6th or 7th DB.  That spot is more suited to a rookie like Carmichael.  Johnson is the better player but due to the salary cap sometimes cheaper wins over better.

Could also be the case the the team did the player a favor in the sense that he could start for a few teams but he wouldn't here so they cut him to explore other opportunities. Walker looks like a keeper so far and they are obviously high on Carmichael so the DI spot can be for Fogg and that leaves Porter on the PR. Not a lot of room for a vet DB likely making more than what they would like for a PR guy.

13 minutes ago, do or die said:

Lot of angst over a guy, who got beat plenty, last couple of years....

this.

I know he was a known name here but lets be honest, he was a whipping boy around here for the last 2 seasons.. always mentioned as the weak link and when we would see someone push him off the roster.  That may have happened... or his injury is worse then expected or could be something else entirely..

While odd, I'm not too worried about it as Walker, Alexander and even Carmicheal have all looked pretty good at times.   Roc's improved much since he was tossed to the wolves and Walker looks like a keeper, ditto Alexander.   a lot of gnashing of the teeth over something not too big of a deal, imo.   I'm thinking we may not know the full story behind this as well so it will be interesting to see what O'shea has to say tomorrow (or later today..) 

end of the day, our secondary is no better or no worse with him out of it.. its not like we lost a heath, Leggett or Randle.