Bruce Johnson Released

TrueBlue

Meh he was getting paid starter money to be a fringe starter/backup not to mention a broken hand. He had some decent plays/games but he got exposed in coverage quite a bit. I'm sure because of his "name" he'll get a shot on another team and might just be good enough to start in a weak secondary but I feel comfortable going with some of our new guys and we've seen some good development in the past few weeks. 

6 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

this.

I know he was a known name here but lets be honest, he was a whipping boy around here for the last 2 seasons.. always mentioned as the weak link and when we would see someone push him off the roster.  That may have happened... or his injury is worse then expected or could be something else entirely..

While odd, I'm not too worried about it as Walker, Alexander and even Carmicheal have all looked pretty good at times.   Roc's improved much since he was tossed to the wolves and Walker looks like a keeper, ditto Alexander.   a lot of gnashing of the teeth over something not too big of a deal, imo.   I'm thinking we may not know the full story behind this as well so it will be interesting to see what O'shea has to say tomorrow (or later today..) 

end of the day, our secondary is no better or no worse with him out of it.. its not like we lost a heath, Leggett or Randle.

Good point but if any of these key players are injured Roc is now the #1 replacement.

I personally don't like this move. I was and always have been a fan of his. Never bought the weakest link stuff. And weak against the run? He was the best back field tackler in the secondary except for Loffler and maybe Randle. WR screens never worked on his side either. I will say, he would make plays, but never seemed to get the turn overs that other DBs have been able too.

Either way, good luck to him and I hope Nichols lights him up if he starts against the Bombers!

18 hours ago, tracker said:

There's almost always a story behind the story and if so, we won't hear about it for months. It is a surprise, though. Whatever it is, that he didn't get a shot to reclaim his job is not good optics.

I don't have a problem with losing their jobs to injury.  That's the game.  If that guy who fills in establishes himself and has an upside, then go with it.

I'm a Patriots fan as well.....so I'm all for injury job taking   Mwahahaha

12 minutes ago, MC said:

Forget the "don't lose your job to injury" line. 

Coaches keep their jobs when they win.  They win by fielding the best team.  

Those last two sentences because they explain 90% of the decisions any team makes.

I have never heard a coach say you don't lose your job to injury.  Seems to be a media fabrication.  They ask coaches all the time "But I thought players don't lose their jobs to injury?" and the coaches all say "I never said that."

13 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Let's not forget that Johnson has been everyone's favorite whipping boy the last few years, myself included.

Even saying that, I would've preferred to keep him around. I don't want to be in a situation where we're starting the Roc at halfback again.

It just strikes me as odd because it doesn't fit MOS's modus operandi.

Edited by J5V

20 hours ago, Atomic said:

I have never heard a coach say you don't lose your job to injury.  Seems to be a media fabrication.  They ask coaches all the time "But I thought players don't lose their jobs to injury?" and the coaches all say "I never said that."

I'm not sure Johnson had a job to lose.  Sounds like he was beat out and the injury gave him a chance to stick around.

On 8/10/2017 at 4:18 PM, TBURGESS said:

https://twitter.com/jeffkhamilton/status/895781394735128577

Jeff Hamilton‏ @jeffkhamilton

Being told the release of Bruce Johnson was simply a roster move and that Mike O'Shea will expand on that tomorrow in Hamilton. #Bombers

So where is the further explanation of Johnson's release?  Stupid media let O'Shea escape the pocket without comment again.  Hopefully Bob will sack him on the pre-game show.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

On 8/10/2017 at 6:28 PM, Bubba Zanetti said:

I dont buy that. Was there ever a clear understanding of what his injury was to start the season? I noticed he didnt tweet at all after training camp. I wonder if this was more of a demotion than injury and he was cranky. Remembering how much MOS was creaming himself about Carmichael in camp. Maybe he was tired of sitting on the bench watching Carmichael get roasted and asked to be released.

Carmichael has played 3 different positions for us including the Wil LBer the hardest position in football. His last game was his first playing at CB and almost completely shut down Ellingson the leagues leading reciever. Likely making Johnson expendable.

Edited by Gotmilt

22 hours ago, MC said:

Forget the "don't lose your job to injury" line. 

Coaches keep their jobs when they win.  They win by fielding the best team.  

Those last two sentences because they explain 90% of the decisions any team makes.

You can lose you job to injury in the CFL simply because the rosters are tiny.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, Gotmilt said:

You can lose you job to injury in the CFL simply because the rosters are tiny.

and you can't in the NFL because they have much larger rosters. 

Just wait and I will see if I can reach out to Drew Bledsoe and Tony Romo to confirm that.

On 8/12/2017 at 10:22 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

So where is the further explanation of Johnson's release?  Stupid media let O'Shea escape the pocket without comment again.  Hopefully Bob will sack him on the pre-game show.

Walters spoke about it during pregame on Saturday. Basically said, young guys playing well enough that it made him expendable, and the SMS forced them into a decision. He didn't put it in those exact words and did talk about how Johnson was a great locker room guy/pro etc etc. Honestly sounded like he had a hard time making that call.

12 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Walters spoke about it during pregame on Saturday. Basically said, young guys playing well enough that it made him expendable, and the SMS forced them into a decision. He didn't put it in those exact words and did talk about how Johnson was a great locker room guy/pro etc etc. Honestly sounded like he had a hard time making that call.

Looking at it another way....and may be stretching it a bit here....
Perhaps we are inching our way up to that next level - where the best players simply play ........irregardless of whether the coach really likes them, how long they have been around, or they are great locker room guys, or give good interviews, or dress real well.

4 hours ago, MC said:

and you can't in the NFL because they have much larger rosters. 

Just wait and I will see if I can reach out to Drew Bledsoe and Tony Romo to confirm that.

I never said you can't, It's just easier to stash them. Putting words in my mouth I see.

Edited by Gotmilt

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:11 AM, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'm not sure Johnson had a job to lose.  Sounds like he was beat out and the injury gave him a chance to stick around.

Makes the most sense because surely they wouldn't base it on one solid game against the worst offense (team) in the league you'd hope.

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

Makes the most sense because surely they wouldn't base it on one solid game against the worst offense (team) in the league you'd hope.

Pigseye! CFL.ca Legend, nice to see ya here.  

As a poster above said Kevin Fogg is still sitting and he was second in the league for interceptions last season. Would have been very surprised to see Johnson come in before Fogg.