Injury Report

BigBlue

Lankford sucks and IMO, he should be the one coming out. He's not a very good kick returner, he's just behind a very good coverage team. He's miserable as a receiver to the point where I'd honestly rather have Coates/Feoli both in. 

And let's not act like our staff doesn't make personnel mistakes. They benched another young outstanding rookie last year for a veteran and look how well that worked for them - another one they better not replicate this week.

57 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm not prepared to say Lankford is the best returner in the game; however, his returns, with the special teams blocking, is producing the best results.

Football is about cohesion. The return team is doing well together and I don't believe they should be changing the pieces right now.

Special teams wins championships or something like that . . . :)

I have no issue either way with the Lankford dilemma. He hasn't proven to be a good enough receiver yet, but there can be no denying he is doing well as a returner. He's right up there in return yards, and his speed gets him there, blocking notwithstanding. Taking him out doesn't bother me either, if it allows for a package of receivers that can do well against the Riders. 

I don't see any problem with us having this problem, if it can even be called that.

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Lankford sucks and IMO, he should be the one coming out. He's not a very good kick returner, he's just behind a very good coverage team.

This is a great point as well.  McDuffie led the league in KO return average last year and didn't look like anything special in the couple games he's played for Ottawa this year... a full 7 yards lower per return, albeit in a small sample size.  Is it the cover teams or the returner?  I have a feeling that any of our other options would be putting up solid kick return averages as well.

7 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I have no issue either way with the Lankford dilemma. He hasn't proven to be a good enough receiver yet, but there can be no denying he is doing well as a returner. He's right up there in return yards, and his speed gets him there, blocking notwithstanding. Taking him out doesn't bother me either, if it allows for a package of receivers that can do well against the Riders. 

I don't see any problem with us having this problem, if it can even be called that.

Who knew Lankford playing would be an issue...

That's the issue I have is putting Thorpe on the PR; I guess if he understands this is a two game thing and they are paying him his normal contract amount  then its fine and then they just rotate players in and out of the PR.  I know that teams are not obligated to pay only PR minimums; they are able to pay more than the minimum.  If that is the case then I doubt Thorpe is willing to go to another team anyways.

5 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

But is there not a concern that Thorpe gets claimed by another team. Despite Demarks timely tds, I'd prefer to keep both Langford and Thorpe in.

Sask. pretty much gave Ricky Collins away, so I don't think there is much reason for concern that a team would swipe Thorpe off the PR.  Imp. receivers are not in short  supply.

Here's the thing, watch other returners around the league. Roy Finch of the Stamps has a better kick off return average, looks more explosive and dangerous than Lankford. Chris Morris on the Riders has a better average too. Edwards in Edmonton has a similar average and looks as if not more dangerous. We couldn't get the same production using Thorpe and Flanders? I think we could and we wouldn't be limiting our receiving game.

The Bombers last played Aug. 24. That gives Paul LaPolice more than enough time to moohaha with the playbook in order to baffle and confuse the Rider D. The Bombers are going to figure out a game plan for these rider guys and the roster LaPo decides on, will feature the players who would better fit his mad cap scheme.

9854_AF78-_FDB6-4515-905_F-_FD5_C8105_D0

The Bomber offence is diverse, and we all know what Diversity gives you....

]We would lose nothing in the return game having Flanders/Thorpe/Fogg returning kicks, but we do lose a lot on offence, and what we have been doing lately scheme wise with Thorpe out and Lankford as the extra reciever.

Sure Dressler in effect replaces Thorpe roster/position wise, but he doesn't do what Thorpe does in our recent schemes, and Lankford isn't that reliable 2nd down conversion guy, or the guy that will get the tough yac yards which Thorpe is.  We can use Adams, Denmark and Dressler to stretch field vertically and probably better than Lankford because those 3 are the better route runners.

Looking like it is going to be Lankford over Thorpe, but I think that's the wrong decision...and who cares about the back-up kicker thing...we did fine without Lankford last year as that and there are sveral others on the roster who can in a pinch fill in if need be..

I really feel like Denmark can fill that role that Thorpe has been....the "Nik Lewis" thing that's been mentioned here. Adams and Dressler stretch the field, Denmark and whichever NI Rec is out there are reliable "Hands" guys...

I would imagine lapo would have a hard time pulling out thorpe because he's the exact receiver he likes. A guy that catches the ball and FIGHTS for yac. He's efficient at making the first guy miss, and when he doesn't, he Andrew harris' them and gets extra yards he probably shouldn't have 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Lankford sucks and IMO, he should be the one coming out. He's not a very good kick returner, he's just behind a very good coverage team. He's miserable as a receiver to the point where I'd honestly rather have Coates/Feoli both in. 

And let's not act like our staff doesn't make personnel mistakes. They benched another young outstanding rookie last year for a veteran and look how well that worked for them - another one they better not replicate this week.

Agree 100% with this and truly would prefer to see Lankford sit out. Big on Thorpe and his YAC ability. Was a bit of evidence Thorpe played fast and loose with the football last week though, coughed it once and almost twice IIRC. Better not be Lankford who spits the ball out this week.

Edited by Doublezero

4 hours ago, Mike said:

I haven't forgotten that this is the regime that played Willy/Macho Harris/Neufeld over Nichols/Loffler/Bond.