GDT: EDMONTON @ WINNIPEG

Mr Dee

11 hours ago, bustamente said:

Agreed when the Bombers went up tempo it seem to catch the Esks off guard Bombers saw it worked and used it to their advantage during the game.

It is funny that the Eskimo defence could not handle it since their offence is the epitome of hurry up that could not be miked because  the purity would be defiled. Should have seen it in practice.  Nah probably because of injury based turn over. 

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

What a ridiculous rule eh?  Watson literally tossed Heath to the turf, I could see it if he ran into Heath but it was a full on shove.

Only in the CFL.  Not applied that way in amateur football.  Everyone is entitled to their cylinder (shoulder width field to sky) and position.

there was a TON of offensive push-offs this game that went uncalled.. was pretty ridiculous.

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I do have one complaint, I'm pretty sure Lapo reads these boards and then purposely doesn't give it to Andrew Harris on the 1 and calls QB keepers to screw with all of us who had Harris in the Lock of the Week. :)

If that's the case, then you all are to blame for the Harris to Adams...whatever that was on the first drive.  You keep accusing him of being too conservative in the red zone; you get plays like that just to prove you wrong.

Edited by mbrg

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The other play that was annoying was when they brought LeFevour in for short yardage and left him out for the second play only to flub it on some goofy QB sneak  and got caught in the backfield.  Red-zone opportunities are too valuable to fritter away with off the book plays, especially when they are not at all necessary. 

On the first trick play, the first thing I noticed was Flanders jogging to the side-lines and I just thought, "why the hell would they take him out now?"

They have a whole package designed around Lefevour's athleticism and they've been using it with decent success all year.  I have no problems with that call.

The execution of that read-option was simply terrible.  It looked like they literally had never practised it before and were trying it out for the first time after watching an instructional video on youtube.

38 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I understand biasing the game to favor offense ... that is good for the fans ... but not calling offensive pass interference as policy is more than just breaking the rules - - its egregious to the game

There's a group of receivers who can't run routes and get by on pushing off and "winning" jump balls by handling DB's.  BC has a couple, Trestman loves em (Richardson, Green), Duke Williams is certainly one.  Barely seen that guy catch a ball aside from those

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There's a group of receivers who can't run routes and get by on pushing off and "winning" jump balls by handling DB's.  BC has a couple, Trestman loves em (Richardson, Green), Duke Williams is certainly one.  Barely seen that guy catch a ball aside from those

and its insanely frustrating to watch happen over and over again.  Im hoping DC's across the league and HC's are taking notes/video so send to the league to showcase how common its been happening and to start watching for it..

(wishful thinking I know)

Just now, rebusrankin said:

Matt Coates had 9 career receptions coming into last night and came up with 3 in relief of JFG.  Last night was a career high in both receptions and yards in a game for him.

He looked a lot like JFG to be honest.  Sure handed and able to break a tackle.  Probably not going to blow anyone out of the water but he's a nice Canadian depth piece.

38 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think guys like Williams & Green can run routes. The rules need to be changed. The IC rule needed to be changed this past off season & the CFL decided not to. Hopefully CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie will be the instrument of change with these really bad rules when it comes to PI & IC in the coming off season. 

I just saw that infamous trick play for the first time today as I missed the first quarter. I see nothing wrong in calling that play. They saw something, they practiced it, and called it at the appropriate position on the field. It failed.

It's really no different than getting stuffed, getting sacked or missing a throw/catch. It was a loss of a down, nothing more, nothing less.

I for one, applaud any attempt to confuse, demoralize any team by using whatever means to BEAT them. Sometimes any play call doesn't work. Oh well, on to the next play. 

Hindsight is not fulfilling for me..

17 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I just saw that infamous trick play for the first time today as I missed the first quarter. I see nothing wrong in calling that play. They saw something, they practiced it, and called it at the appropriate position on the field. It failed.

It's really no different than getting stuffed, getting sacked or missing a throw/catch. It was a loss of a down, nothing more, nothing less.

I for one, applaud any attempt to confuse, demoralize any team by using whatever means to BEAT them. Sometimes any play call doesn't work. Oh well, on to the next play. 

I disagree, opening drive of the game is the time to show that they can shove it down their throats the old fashioned way, no trickery needed.

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

Harris, Flanders, or a short pass to Thorpe and let him carry 3 defenders into the endzone with him.... all would be excellent options in that area of the field.  But instead we go for the back corner fade or a trick play... why???

Imo see JuranBoldenRules post above for a good explanation. To paraphrase,  Lapo trying to outsmart the defensive coordinator on almost every play.

Don't get me wrong, LaPo knows what he's doing, he's a smart football guy, but we all have our quirks and  it seems his is he gets so engrossed  matching wits with the opponents DC that he sometimes misses the simplicity of what to call.  

44 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

No hindsight needed, first drive of the game when you've hammered it down their throats keep doing that, that's way more demoralizing to opponents than trying the trick bullshit. Set the tone early, pound it right at them and then after they're already on their heels you change it up. 

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No hindsight needed, first drive of the game when you've hammered it down their throats keep doing that, that's way more demoralizing to opponents than trying the trick bullshit. Set the tone early, pound it right at them and then after they're already on their heels you change it up. 

Yeah, I like the theory of what you're saying. But there's absolutely no proof/guarantee that the next play will work or will not work. Like I said, they practiced that play, for that situation. It didn't work. It was exactly like getting stuffed on a running play. That also happens.  

It was a well scripted series that ate up the clock, but no different than running a myriad of plays that don't always work.

Cest la vie..

10 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Yeah, I like the theory of what you're saying. But there's absolutely no proof/guarantee that the next play will work or will not work. Like I said, they practiced that play, for that situation. It didn't work. It was exactly like getting stuffed on a running play. That also happens.  

It was a well scripted series that ate up the clock, but no different than running a myriad of plays that don't always work.

Cest la vie..

The main difference is the chances of it working out are very slim, so it has a much higher risk of failure than a standard play.

15 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Cest la vie..

Percentages said doing what they were doing had a higher chance to work. There was no need to call that play. That decision might have cost us the game. Luckily it didn't. 

@Throw Long Bannatyne and @SpeedFlex27

There is very little difference in that play and any other play the Bombers run, other than one more person handling the ball. They obviously saw something in the Eskimo alignments that put forth an argument to try that play.

You guys didn't like it, fine, but don't talk to me about the  ultra conservative play calling of LaPo anymore.

This part of the thread just goes to show how easy it is to criticize an offensive coordinator. 

The reality is everyone one of us would call a slightly different game. Some opt to run the ball when I would go with a pass, and vice versa. The trick play wouldn't have been something I would have called there, but I've got no issue with it.

It didn't work. Plenty of calls don't work. Only reason it sticks out is because it's unique. 

People can complain  all day about an offensive coordinator. What matters most is the overall result of these play calls and right now this offense is putting up really strong numbers. If those numbers tank, then I'll be more willing to listen.

People complain about LaPo because his name is LaPo. If this offense was run by New Coordinator Joe, everybody would love it. 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Cest la vie..

so why go away from what's working? As I said, let the defense worry about stopping you don't stop yourself over complicating things.