Little things

BigBlue

I would not have been wanting to be drinking directly underneath the canon when it went off multiple times Thursday night. I probably would've swallowed my cup. Whatever malfunctions there were at the beginning of the season there is no longer a problem with that canon.

The fellows running the scoreboard seem to have made some big improvements. At the beginning of the season they were constantly taking crowd shots of interesting fans, usually at the expense of seeing a replay. There was hardly any of that Thursday night. We had replays galore and in my opinion that was 10 times better than crowd shots. If you want to shoot human expression, please concentrate on the players and not the fans. That's what's interesting, the individual player expressions, not the fans' faces. The scoreboard crew must've gotten some feedback and responded to it. So well done.

I very much enjoyed the band that played during halftime .... it was so much better than the variety of dog and pony shows we've seen so often over the last half-century. That band put me in "the mood" and nothing could have been better. Quite frankly I would like to see a lot of local bands engaged at the stadium. Perhaps they could play a mini concert for 45 minutes to an hour prior to kickoff. As far as I'm concerned they could even do it during the player warm-ups. Maybe that would put everybody, players included,  in the mood for some great and exciting football.

Let me complement Miller & Co. where the ongoing improvements he has been overseeing to make the game day experience that much better is coming to pay off.

This is the best entertainment we've had in a long, long time, and Yup, it has an awful lot to do with winning in a decisive way. Yup, Yup, Yup.

One more little thing, Parking:

I have settled on Park  N ' Ride but last week decided to drive straight to the game, don't ask me why. (it had something to do with getting a pizza to go). I got a spot very close to the stadium just over the hill opposite the east entrance. I was surprised at the $20 bill I handed over for the privilege but still I was inside the stadium gates in no time at all.

Leaving was another matter. We were literally a few hundred feet from University Crescent but had to follow the flow of traffic as directed by the gates-keepers. It took over 40 minutes to get onto University Crescent (and then just 3 minutes to get to Pembina Hwy) .... 

Is exit traffic always that bad? Is there a better faster place to park and exit?

It was a funny way to spend $20 when I could have had a beer or two instead. Any suggestions should I ever skip the Park  N ' Ride again?

Edited by BigBlue

So I was walking from the rum hut with my beer towards my seats on the east side,  not really paying attention to the game as it was another Medlock gimme' thought it was a safe time to walk back to my seats. Just so happens ended up directly underneath the cannon. 

I'll just say I should have packed an extra pair of underwear.

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

One more little thing, Parking:

I have settled on Park  N ' Ride but last week decided to drive straight to the game, don't ask me why. (it had something to do with getting a pizza to go). I got a spot very close to the stadium just over the hill opposite the east entrance. I was surprised at the $20 bill I handed over for the privilege but still I was inside the stadium gates in no time at all.

Leaving was another matter. We were literally a few hundred feet from University Crescent but had to follow the flow of traffic as directed by the gates-keepers. It took over 40 minutes to get onto University Crescent (and then just 3 minutes to get to Pembina Hwy) .... 

Is exit traffic always that bad? Is there a better faster place to park and exit?

It was a funny way to spend $20 when I could have had a beer or two instead. Any suggestions should I ever skip the Park  N ' Ride again?

If you are just coming by yourself, see if you can find a way to bike or bus. even if you drive part way and park on a side street, then take your bike out or hop on a bus to do the last 15 minutes, it makes a big difference. 

Well BB, yes there has been incremental improvements as settling into IGF for the Bomber game experience has become just touch ups. The entrance for season ticket members is one notable amenity that I've never taken advance of previously, and is appreciated. Creating more standing room around the north concourse is fabulous. I'd bet they sell more "drinks" as a result, but remains thankfully the same meat market. Being able to view the field from the concourse is beginning to look like a stroke of genius. However the stands don't look full because folks are socializing. I'll take the social aspect though. 

Bus service is now, close to seamless. 

I gotta say that fan expressions on the jumbotron are important. It makes the viewers pay attention. Who doesn't doesn't like saying to a bud, "saw ya in the screen", or if you show up on the screen, it makes your day. The fan shots create stickiness for the ads. We want advertisers on the screen. Good revenue. 

As far as a mini concert goes, feel free to join the tailgate suarez at the S.E. corner outside the edifice which now does a have a live band, tackling dummies, free temporary tattoes, pretty good grub and cheaper beer. 

It was mentioned by a group of Calgary folks and fans, that the previous week they were at a game in the Bay Area to watch the 9ers play in their new facility, and ours was Just as nice, just as fun, only smaller, cheaper everything that goes in the kisser, and "which is a good thing" they said. 

Bomber management is active in continuous improvement. 

11 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

So I was walking from the rum hut with my beer towards my seats on the east side,  not really paying attention to the game as it was another Medlock gimme' thought it was a safe time to walk back to my seats. Just so happens ended up directly underneath the cannon. 

I'll just say I should have packed an extra pair of underwear.

We were in the West stands in 237 and that thing was loud as ****! I think they're packing it this year with more gun powder it seems haha

The WFC has done a great job with the game day experience at IGF the last couple of years and makes the inaugural season gong show feel like a distant memory. The improvements and additions have been worthwhile and it's refreshing to see the organization listen to what fans want.

And now that the on-field product has become enjoyable to watch, it makes home games that much more fun to attend. Last week's game was a blast.

6 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Was just commenting to my wife after the game that the Club has really stopped taking Season Ticket holders (and the fans) for granted.  They are investing in the experience and that's a good thing.

Like the new Season ticket holder for life option. For someone like that me that renews every year it's nice to get some benefits for it.

3 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Like the new Season ticket holder for life option. For someone like that me that renews every year it's nice to get some benefits for it.

This was the one thing that I was thinking of explicitly.  It's a small thing but the ability to spread your payments out over 12 months (if you need to) makes it easy to be a season ticket holder .. then there are the other little perks, locker room talk .. sideline experience .. little bit of swag .. it's a nice touch and I'm grateful for it.

First off, nice post @BigBlue I'm right there with you on most of your comments.  To add....

- love the idea of pre/post/half time bands, especially local.  A nice way to add a little bit to the exp & make it not just about football.  Also - seems to me it could aid in growing the fanbase.  Maybe a group of teens isn't interested in football or the big blue (the horror!) - but they know the band playing, grab cheap seats and check it out.   Maybe a few become fans. 

- relating to that, Bombers continue to do good work at that tailgate area.  Fun place to be before and during halftime.   Tad more communication with fans re: smoking out there could have helped, but that's being picky.  I just appreciate heads up when you change a 4 yr old policy mid-season. 

- parking.  those who bother to read my posts may remember I'm a big advocate of the park & ride.  They've continually made it better & smoother, even moreso this year with the new loop at IGF.

- if you aren't doing the park & ride, and don't mind a walk: my favourite option so far is parking at St.Vital park.  It's free.  Gates are open real late.  Probably a 20 mins walk to the stadium, depending on how fast you walk and if you bring road soda's (encouraged).  There's a fantastic little lemonade stand that kids set up on the walk; popcorn & cookies too, at least as of last year!

Best of all we have  an organization that now shows they value the fanbase....and I'm not so sure that's been a constant over the years. Couple that with a damn good team..... fun, fun, fun! :)

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:
3 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

love the idea of pre/post/half time bands, especially local.

The local bands .... there is so much talent just desperately hoping for a chance to strut their stuff ..  they would not be expensive and the fans win as long as the bands don't go to extremes with their song selection  ... could make a big difference to the local scene ... and as you said recruit a lot of young folhs for the whole fan experience

I hope management is listening

51 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Did anybody realize the season ticket holder of the game only had 4 years of Seasons or something ridiculous? How do they pick these?  My aunt and I have have had seasons for around 16 years, I'm 24 now... I hope I dont need to go 27 years for an award.

Edited by Gotmilt

How about all the non-game day stuff the Bombers have been doing?

Fan appreciation at the Stadium for season ticket pick-up and after the Banjo Bowl.

Movie nights at the stadium. I'm going to both next week with my boys (Kids Club and Season Ticket holder).

These are great opportunities to build relationships with the fans, especially the kids. Now, my oldest son is lucky because he goes to all the games but if you only go to a couple, this is another way of connecting the youth to the team.

There is no doubt that since Wade took charge... The bombers have improved the off field game day stuff.. Its night and day.. I actually see way more ppl in bomber gear throughout the week than i have in a very long time. Anyone who talks crap about Miller... Just being foolish. Hes done so much since taking over. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

What he's saying is that it's not the Bombers, the stats are from the league directly - same engine that the website updates from. 

Yes, I know. What I'm saying is it's never accurate and looks ridiculous during the game. I'd rather see it scrapped until it works properly.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Yes, I know. What I'm saying is it's never accurate and looks ridiculous during the game. I'd rather see it scrapped until it works properly.

The only game I noticed it not working at was last game.

I've noticed that it temporarily glitches some other times too, but for the most part, it seems pretty bang on. Last game was a mess, though. 

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

what is this tell me more

New for 2018 | Bomber For Life Membership

Hey Jimmy Pop,

We're excited to introduce our Bomber for Life membership, exclusive to our most loyal season ticket members!

The Bomber for Life membership is a recurring payment plan option that renews automatically, every year. It's the simplest way to keep your seats without having to navigate the renewal process every season.

Bomber for Life Benefits

Enroll today and you'll automatically be entered into all of our early bird draws, and in addition to your regular season ticket benefits, you will also receive:

• Exclusive Bomber for Life season ticket member card and lanyard
  • Exclusive pre-season locker room talk with Head Coach Mike O’Shea in Spring 2018
  • Bomber for Life car decal

The Bomber for Life membership payment play options are 12-month, 6-month, and annual payments, with no interest, service charges, or admin fees.

Early Bird Limited Time Offer

Opt-in by September 15th, 2017 and you will also receive:

• Two additional P7 tickets to the October 28th game against the BC Lions
  • Nissan pre-game sideline experience for a game in the 2017 season (limited spaces available per game)
  • Bomber for Life special edition t-shirt

Interested in the Bomber for Life membership?

It's simple! All we need is a signature on our terms and conditions document and one of our Fan Services team members will reach out directly to finalize your membership.