IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

Mr Dee

WEEK 9

Bye - Saskatchewan 

Tim Baines  -  #Redblacks officially announce release of DBs Imoan Claiborne and CJ Roberts? Mitchell White released by Eagles on weekend. Hmm. #CFL

Arash Madani   -  Not sure if there's another head coach in pro football who helps out with the bags post-game. 

O'Shea is genuine. Cares. Smirk, and all...   

?‍?Giovanni Aprile – originally drafted 16th overall by Winnipeg in 2012 – had just recorded the first regular season reception of his professional career, in his fourth season, 1 catch 6 yards. Hey, 2 more catches for 18 yards on Friday!

Jeff Reinebold - KENT AUSTIN IS A GOOD MAN WHO HAS HANDLED AN INCREDIBLY TOUGH SITUATION WITH GRACE AND DIGNITY - TAKE THE BAGS OFF YOUR HEADS & OSKEEWEEWEE

"I know this is where I should be. I’m so happy to be a Blue Bomber.”  -  @BWalk28, the 21-year-old on the rise.

Eric M -  One week after Bruce Johnson's release, rookie Brian Walker allows just 2 catches for 20 yards on 7 targets, with 2 PBUs & an INT. #Bombers

Only the Calgary Stampeders have allowed less QB pressures than the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this season. #CFL #Bombers

The #Argos have released INT WR Khalil Paden.

Rod Pedersen. -  Riders John Murphy @draftjm13 tells the SportsCage the acquisition of Vernon Adams changes nothing for Brandon Bridge & Marquise Williams.

Ed Tait. -  It's time to rethink the CFL's East-West format, writes @EdTaitWFC  http://ow.ly/7yAM30eqqQ1

Jamie Nye - Only 7 challenges in the #CFL in the two weeks combined since the rule change. There were 28 challenges combined in the two weeks prior.

Canadian Football League commissioner Randy Ambrosie is a big fan of the East-West dynamic but says he would entertain discussions about a change to the league’s playoff structure.  http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/08/15/cfl-commissioner-ambrosie-open-to-talking-about-change-to-playoff-structure?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feedrinse%2FRWsG+(Blue+Bombers+Channel)

Justin Dunk  -  Stephen Adekolu has agreed to terms with the Montreal Alouettes, per sources. He was recently released by the B.C. Lions where he spent the first three-plus seasons of his pro career. Adekolu suited up for 42 games making three receptions for 42 yards while seeing time on special teams, but he has yet to play in 2017.

Herb Zurkowsky  -  Drew Willy now becomes #AlsMTL backup QB

Drew Edwards - • in former Ticat news, New Orleans Saints defensive back Delvin Breaux has been diagnosed with a broken fibula and will miss four-to-six weeks. The injury was reportedly mis-diagnosed as a bone bruise and the Saints have fired two members of their medical staff as a result.

Rod Pedersen- Chris Jones said he didn't wear a Diversity Is Strength shirt b/c supplies were limited and went to the players. Each team is different.

?‍? Why don't I believe this rather simple explanation.

"You're going to love it out there." -Darian Durant's advice to Vernon Adams on coming to Riderville.

CFL News. -  

- "I'm lead to believe that Marc Trestman doesn't have any interest in bringing Johnny Manziel in." - @TSNDaveNaylor #CFL #Argos

"I know the #Riders coaching staff are big fans of @1MjWilliams2, their third string QB" - @FarhanLaljiTSN #CFL via @TSN_Sports

Maybe little disconnect developing between head coach & his QB (Austin & Collaros). Maybe a little iciness too - @TSNScianitti #CFL #Ticats

.@bigplay_va has 1 yr left on his contract. He may opt out that in terms of free agency. - Kavis Reed #CFL #AlsMTL via @TSN690 (Vernon Adams)

.@joeyalfieri:  @Drew_Willy more competent, polished than @bigplay_va Jr. tsn.ca/radio/montreal… #CFL #AlsMTL #Riders

.@miltonatthespec: If #Ticats lose next two, you'll see key names dispensed tsn.ca/radio/hamilton… #CFL via @jimtatti

One rumour:   #AlsMTL badly wanted to acquire WR Rob Bagg (for Adams) but #Riders refused to part w/ the coveted vet. - @rodpedersen #CFL

Americans are tuning #CFL games on ESPN in droves this year. - @rodpedersen

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats Football Club announced Thursday that the following three players have been released:

INT – DB – Terrence Frederick

INT – WR – Gerell Robinson

INT – DB – Khalid Wooten

.@RandyAmbrosie - "We were inclusive before inclusive was cool." #CFL via @jamienye via @CJMENews

Winnipeg Sun - Matt Coates, had a strong game, catching three passes for 32 yards. Coates had nine career catches in three seasons with Hamilton prior to signing in Winnipeg as a free agent last off-season …

?‍?TJ Heath missed his chance for sole possession in the interception battle. He dropped two more on Thursday?

Ted Wyman - WPG Sun - Import running back Timothy Flanders, who is only in the lineup because of an injury to receiver Weston Dressler, continues to make a case for staying even after Dressler returns. He had 45 yards rushing Thursday and has 105 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries this season plus two catches for 26 yards.

?‍?Watching these CFL games without all the challenges is sooo much better..

Glen Suitor - Loudest fans contest between Sask and Wpg update:  Producers on board, and we are working on logistics, more details soon. #CFLonTSN

?‍?What is it about the Jason Maas that makes him disregard CFL initiatives. The latest? ‘Diversity is Strength’ Jason Maas not sporting the T-Shirt. The only one

RESPECT. Maas doesn't seem to have any.

Dave Dawson - Kent Austin is calling plays tonight, and you can already see the impact. #Ticats

?‍?And how long did that go well?

Quick Fix: @BoLeviMitchell has thrown at least one touchdown pass in 17 consecutive games and in 38 of the past 39 contests #CFLGameDay

Drew Edwards- #Ticats Brandon Banks refused to speak to media after his team's loss to #Redblacks. #CFL

So, in his honour, *** for tat, that segment was dropped

Ed Tait - “Andrew is a beast, man. A beast,” began Chungh. “He comes to work every day and I’ll say he and Matt (Nichols) are the best leaders I’ve ever been around.”

CFL- Bombers draft pick Geoff Gray impresses in first preseason game…“Geoff Gray was the player that jumped off the tape the most,” wrote Andrew Herman, who performed the player grades.

Gray, a native of Winnipeg, issued a statement after the CFL draft saying he “would be extremely grateful to be a member of the Blue Bombers” should his football path bring him back to Winnipeg.   http://3downnation.com/2017/08/19/bombers-draft-pick-geoff-gray-impresses-first-preseason-game-packers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+3downnation%2Fegst+(3+Down+Nation-John+Hodge)

?‍?Hey, Calgary…kicked 5 FGs. I guess dey no goode.

Simoni Lawrence - I love my teammates my coaches and fans we gonna figure this **** out.

There's some confusion on Kyries Hebert’s fine from the League office. The Montreal gazette reports that  Kyries Hebert and, for that matter Durant, the Als’ player representative, continue to have issues with the fine levied against the veteran linebacker for his high helmet-to-helmet hit against Toronto quarterback Cody Fajardo in last week’s game at Molson Stadium.

Hebert hasn’t denied the hit was illegal, and Durant realizes the fine won’t be quashed. Instead, both maintain Hebert’s being penalized more than half of his game cheque, the maximum amount for which any player can be punished.

Hebert claimed he’s being fined more than 50 per cent of his gross amount, suggesting he’ll play the next two games without compensation.

?‍????

"I can’t kick field goals if the offence doesn’t move the ball" - Kicker @RParedes30

?‍?Are the Lions that reliant on Burnham?

Justin Dunk - The Monreal Alouettes will pay quarterback Drew Willy around $80,000 in “guaranteed money” plus available playtime bonuses this season.

The new contract also included $10,000 in up front money.

he also received a $70,000 signing bonus from the Argos on a reworked deal in January

Total 150,000K

?‍?Another CFL week has gone by, and another week where the best entertainment in a football game involved the Bombers..

?‍?MITCHELL, Bo Levi 15/31 48.4% 237 yards

?‍?Calgary 15 penalties 150 yards

#Argos defence holds Darian Durant to a mere 93 yards in passing while Ricky Ray puts up 377. #CFL #AlsMTL

Darrin Bauming - Mike O'Shea says safety Derek Jones is a starter, but it would probably take an injury to get him into the starting lineup. #Bombers

CFL News - Durant has now been intercepted eight times. Only twice has he completed a game without being picked off. - @HerbZurkowsky1 #CFL #AlsMTL

-#AlsMTL were held to nine first downs and 138 yards’ net offence. They controlled the ball for less than 21 minutes. - @HerbZurkowsky1 #CFL

?‍?Montreal played that football game exactly how a football game shouldn't be played ?

?‍?The Toronto Ray Argos…

Ed Tait - On Andrew Harris :“I usually don’t talk about my goals, but I told Coach Bourgs (running backs coach Kevin Bourgoin) in the offseason that (1,000-1,000) was one of my goals this year,” said Harris Sunday following Bombers practice. “It’s one of those things that I’m on pace for it and so talking about it puts some pressure on myself to be able to achieve that.

Through the first eight games, Harris has had 90 rushed and 50 receptions – the most offensive touches in the CFL by a mile (Calgary’s Jerome Messam is second at 128; 112 carries, 16 receptions).

Weston Dressler, who has missed three games, has also been running more of late and could be back within the next couple of weeks.    “He makes sure he runs around Al (Bombers Head Athletic Therapist Al Couture),” said O’Shea with a grin. “He does circles around him and runs in front of him to let him know he’s ready to go.”

?‍?How meaningful is Ottawa’s win over Hamilton? Not very. Everybody beats them...

“(What’s) important is that the guys in the locker room believe their teammates are working as hard as they can.” - Mike O'Shea 

?‍?The Stampeders are giving their secondary a lot of credit for their game against BC. I'd be more inclined to fault BC QBacking...

?‍?Most outstanding play for Hamilton this week was returning a blocked convert attempt for 2 points. They now lead the league in that category.

Your next chance to catch an Andrew Harris? At the Banjo Bowl.

Over 30,000 tickets are sold already, so hurry! 

? | ow.ly/yGaD30evvF8

WEEK 10

Winnipeg @ Montreal - Thursday

Saskatchewan @ Edmonton - Friday

BC @ Ottawa - Saturday

Toronto @ Calgary - Saturday 

BYE - the uninvolved

Edited by Mr Dee

Andrew Harris  -  “We’re the best team in the league at the no-huddle. We put teams in the position where they have too many guys or the wrong personnel. We’re going to continue to expand that. It’s good to mix in throughout the game.”

When watching this game, it’s clear Bombers’ offensive coordinator Paul Lapolice wanted to take advantage of Edmonton’s excessive defensive personnel substitutions by going no-huddle. Eskimos defensive coordinator Mike Benevides changes personnel groupings in-game more than any defensive coordinator in the league. In Thursday’s game against the Bombers, the Eskimos were constantly flipping between their base and nickel personnel (DB #42 Cauchy Muamba subs in at WILL linebacker) packages throughout the game, attempting to put faster, more natural cover players in space in passing situations.

Leading up to this huge week nine showdown, Lapolice and the Bombers’ staff clearly believed they could catch the Eskimos with either the wrong personnel on the field or without enough time to communicate everyone’s assignments after making personnel changes – and they were right. The Bombers had tremendous success with their no-huddle offence in this game.

This is an informative read from Eric Mathews and teases us with what the Bombers have learned and are applying..

More here...https://bomberbuzz.com/2017/08/21/bombers-deploy-no-huddle-offense-to-rout-eskimos/amp/

"Architect LaPolice has Bombers offence on pace for best season in 23 years" - Ted Wyman

What LaPo does well is I think he empowers the people who coach for him and also the players,” Bombers offensive lineman Matthias Goossen said.

I think he’s done an amazing job,” running back Andrew Harris said Monday. “Last year he got a feel for the type of athletes he had in the offence and this year he has really morphed us into something … putting us in positions to succeed and understanding what we’re good at, what we’re not so good at and just playing to our advantages.

“(It’s been) excellent,” O’Shea said. “The last game especially I thought he had a very good game plan. It was well executed by the players, which meant it was coached well on a short week. For them to be able to put some stuff in and get it executed, it’s all pretty pleasing stuff.”

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/08/21/architect-lapolice-has-bombers-offence-on-pace-for-best-season-in-23-years?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feedrinse%2FRWsG+(Blue+Bombers+Channel)

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Darrin Bauming asks...

Who is the midseason Most Outstanding Player for the #Bombers? #CFL60   Get your vote in as Darrin will discuss on CFL:60 tonight, 6-7 p.m. on TSN 1290.

A very interesting question.

What is becoming apparent to me about this particular Bomber team is the collective and individual intelligence of the players. These guys are executing at a level I've not seen in a very long time. 

15 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Darrin Bauming asks...

Who is the midseason Most Outstanding Player for the #Bombers? #CFL60   Get your vote in as Darrin will discuss on CFL:60 tonight, 6-7 p.m. on TSN 1290.

As great as Medlock has been, he doesn't get into FG range himself... so I would look at Harris or Nichols... Harris has certainly been spectacular but Matt Nichols is the leader of the offense and the leader of this team... I think I would lean towards Nichols... however if Harris gets to 1000/1000 it could be close...

Solution: Nichols MOP, Harris MOC  

16 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Darrin Bauming asks...

Most people will look at the offense. Don't forget the defensive side of the ball. How about Jake Thomas? Maybe unsung hero award. Everything starts in the trenches.

24 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Medlock and Adams have been good, but imo Nichols and Harris are well ahead of anybody else.

I love Medlock and wouldn't trade him for any other kicker in the league.  But if you're going to give MOP to a kicker... he's gotta be better than last in the league in field goal percentage.

16 hours ago, Noeller said:

It's a toss up between Nichols, Harris and Medlock.....

Definitely agree on the first two. Nichols and Harris are playing on another level this season. Medlock is having a good season but he needs to be better through going forward to be in the team's MOP discussion, IMO.

Hell, Nichols could very well be MOP of the league if he keeps up his current pace. And Harris could make history this season and easily end up the league's MOC.

Boy, how nice is it to have these discussions about our team for a change...? ^_^

36 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Most people will look at the offense. Don't forget the defensive side of the ball. How about Jake Thomas? Maybe unsung hero award. Everything starts in the trenches.

Speaking of trenches and unsung heroes, Stanley Bryant has quietly had the left side locked down all year. The crucial position on what has become the league's best OL. 

No chance is Medlock even remotely in consideration for our MOP this season.

His numbers are skewed because he's tried by far the highest volume of lengthy kicks in ridiculous situations (crosswinds, etc) but he's statistically the worst FG kicker in the league right now. Obviously not true, but he's not really having a very good year - he's just kicking a lot of volume because our offense is always getting into FG range. I mean really, look how well our offense is doing - he's tried 60 scoring kicks (FG + converts) and second closest is Paredes with 48. 

Nichols + Harris are the two obvious choices right now and really, IMO, what it comes down to is this: if Harris gets 1000/1000, he'll be the CFL MOP. If he doesn't, he won't even be our representative. 

Considering that we are near the exact half way portion of the season, it is appropriate to discuss the MOP, MOC and MOL. Heck, even discuss the rookie award as well. Isn't it also time that the Bombers also get graded on offence, offence, defence and special teams? So here goes:

Offence: because the Bombers are one of the highest scoring teams in the league, not turning over the ball, and ability to pull out wins, an A. Short of an A+ because they can always to better and would graduate to that mark with one or two more stomping of the opposition. 

Defence: the ball hawking is no longer a trademark this year, lots of yards and points piled up, but still a squad to contend with. B-.

Special teams: big plays. Have not even used all the players available like Fogg, and have done excellent set ups with a short kick as an example. Certainly not a liability but room for improvement. A-.

Coaching: have out smarted Campbell, Jones, Maas (too many men penalties was brilliant), Austin, and few injuries due to strategy. Defence seems softer by design than I'd like. B+.

Fans: the very reason teams exist. A+. They can still be A+ even with a few whiners. 

Edited by Rod Black

Because of last year, CFL fans, and others across the league, said what we were doing was unsustainable. That we were relying much too much on Medlock to win us games. AND, that our turnover ratio could not be matched.

Well, O'Shea revealed that we were on pace to reach our interception totals from last year, but, as we've seen in the last couple of games...we're dropping those catches as opposed to making the play. At least 3 last game alone. Penalties also have cancelled a few. But, that does happen in sports.

Medlock? Yeah, he's not above missing. But the key ones are still there.

So,  CFL fans...6-2. Sustain that.

If I'm voting on our player awards right now ...

MOP is Nichols, MOC is Harris, MOL is Bond, MOSTP is Lankford, MODP is Randle and MOR is Thorpe.

As for CFL all-stars, I believe we'd have a few at this stage of the game. Harris, Adams, Bond, Goossen, Westerman, Leggett, Heath and Randle all in the running. 

If Harris keeps up his pace, or even slips a bit moving forward he has to be the sure bet MOC this year,  Can't really see who else is having the impact on a game and team moreso than him this year, regardless of nationality.  Could also be in consideration for MOP too truthfully, but I would like to see Nichols get that nod on the Bombers if he continues to do what he has been doing. I've never been a fan of a guy on a team getting multiple nominations, unless it REALLY warrants it....generally that means the team kinda sucked and there was nobody really to pick, and that the team wasn't actually a solid complete team.

As it looks we have a good, deep, solid team throughout and wouldn't be surprised if we have the most western all-star selections this year

1 minute ago, Mr Dee said:

Because of last year, CFL fans, and others across the league, said what we were doing was unsustainable. That we were relying much too much on Medlock to win us games. AND, that our turnover ratio could not be matched.

Well, O'Shea revealed that we were on pace to reach our interception totals from last year, but, as we've seen in the last couple of games...we're dropping those catches as opposed to making the play. At least 3 last game alone. Penalties also have cancelled a few. But, that does happen in sports.

Medlock? Yeah, he's not above missing. But the key ones are still there.

So,  CFL fans...6-2. Sustain that.

Can't really agree with that to be honest. He's gotta be what, 50%? on the "key ones" this year? If the key ones were still there, we'd be 7-1 right now. 

And don't get me wrong. I'm a huge Medlock fan and I'm thrilled we have him. I'm sure he's not happy with his performance this year though, especially compared to last. He's having a good year, he's just not having the kind of immortal season he had last year. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

If I'm voting on our player awards right now ...

MOP is Nichols, MOC is Harris, MOL is Bond, MOSTP is Lankford, MODP is Randle and MOR is Thorpe.

As for CFL all-stars, I believe we'd have a few at this stage of the game. Harris, Adams, Bond, Goossen, Westerman, Leggett, Heath and Randle all in the running. 

Totally agree on the team picks..

CFL wise I think Bryant could be in that consideration as well...At least in the WEST as nobody on a western team has really stood out.