Derel Walker

Thought I'd start this thread just to see what some us think.  Reading on RF lot of posters think he may come back to the CFL sooner then later, and should be a FA.  While it might be easy to think he's returning to the esks, I have to wonder if he still has that same allegiance to the Esks, now that Hervey is no longer there.  Could there be an opportunity to out bid them for his services? Should we?  I like our receiving corps, however with Dressler getting hurt seemingly annually, and denmark going for long stretches of invisibility, is it time to start thinking of the future and what Walker could do for us? He's only 26, so the possibility of inking him long term is there, but it might come at the expense of one of our vets.  Thoughts?

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Meh... Is there any actual report Walker won't stick in the NFL?

I think the receiving corps is the least of the team's issues at the moment and I can't see Walker coming cheap should he return to the CFL. I would also expect Edmonton to be his preferred destination, if only from a familiarity standpoint. I'd also have to assume Reilly would be licking his chops at the idea of having Walker back in the depleted lineup.

My opinion at the present time would be to pass.

I can't see the Eskimos going after him, to be honest. They have Bowman, Zylstra and Williams. Walker is going to have no allegiance to a new GM.

Honestly, I could see him in Calgary and that scares the **** out of me. I'd love to think we'd be interested, but it'd probably be one of two things - a 1 year deal or the end of Dressler. He IS, however, exactly what we could use. 

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Oh and I think it's a pretty fair assumption to say he's not going to make the Bucs. He's super low on the totem pole there. 

yeah i'm just looking over the stats so far in the bucs 2 preseason games and he's got no stats so not sure if he's even getting a look at this point, or was just a camp body.  

I do realize a "reading on RF" is a grain of salt worthy, but some of them do know their football, (as long as it's not green goggled rider banter).

I personally would love to see Walters make a play for him if and when the time came

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What about a PR spot or getting on with another team?

Very well could be a reality.

If he came free, the likely reality is that he's going to probably be with one of three teams - Calgary, Winnipeg or Toronto.

What they offer is the most appealing - a deal for the remainder of the year with the ability to play with a great QB and earn playoff money. 

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Very well could be a reality.

If he came free, the likely reality is that he's going to probably be with one of three teams - Calgary, Winnipeg or Toronto.

What they offer is the most appealing - a deal for the remainder of the year with the ability to play with a great QB and earn playoff money. 

Depending on cap space I could see interest from Ottawa, Montreal, or even Hamilton if they can get him on a multi-year deal.

I'm sure they'll be interested. I can't see him wanting a two year deal. It'd make sense for him to want to sign a deal for the balance of this year, go attend tryouts again in the off-season and then if that doesn't pan out, open himself up to a big money deal in free agency when every team can make a play for him.

If that's the route he goes, only playoff teams make sense.

51 minutes ago, Mike said:

I can't see the Eskimos going after him, to be honest. They have Bowman, Zylstra and Williams. Walker is going to have no allegiance to a new GM.

Honestly, I could see him in Calgary and that scares the **** out of me. I'd love to think we'd be interested, but it'd probably be one of two things - a 1 year deal or the end of Dressler. He IS, however, exactly what we could use. 

We can trade Dressler to MTL. Durant sure would be lobbying for it.

I could see a prorated deal for rest of year..play it out...look around in off-season and if nothing pans out then yup..sign a 2 year deal for top coin

We realistically have pro-rate available money available this year for such a case with already budgeted money that will be saved with Oko..Johnson...and Dressler (if he stays on the 6) being six gamed this year. I would think too that Johnson's whole salary will, can, or has been available now too since he didn't play a down, but was factored into the SMS and to this point we havn't airlifted anybody of any significance that would garner more than league minimum

you would think thats probably close to 100 to 120 k for the 6 game savings, and possibly more if balance of Johnson's salary is technically just sitting there. I'm thinking we are sitting pretty good in terms of available money for NFL cuts this year, and bet that we had also set aside some $$ prior to that for the possible return of a Gray/Mulumba or other guy looking to come back

1 hour ago, Mike said:

If it means losing Dressler to sign Walker to a multi-year deal, as much as I love Dressler I don't see why we wouldn't make that trade-off. If we sign him to a 1-year deal, Denmark goes to PR when Dressler gets healthy.

Either way, Walters should be interested and put together a serious offer.

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

I could see a prorated deal for rest of year..play it out...look around in off-season and if nothing pans out then yup..sign a 2 year deal for top coin

We realistically have pro-rate available money available this year for such a case with already budgeted money that will be saved with Oko..Johnson...and Dressler (if he stays on the 6) being six gamed this year. I would think too that Johnson's whole salary will, can, or has been available now too since he didn't play a down, but was factored into the SMS and to this point we havn't airlifted anybody of any significance that would garner more than league minimum

you would think thats probably close to 100 to 120 k for the 6 game savings, and possibly more if balance of Johnson's salary is technically just sitting there. I'm thinking we are sitting pretty good in terms of available money for NFL cuts this year, and bet that we had also set aside some $$ prior to that for the possible return of a Gray/Mulumba or other guy looking to come back

Agreed.

Replace Denmark with Walker and all of a sudden we have an outstanding receiver group.

13 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

We can trade Dressler to MTL. Durant sure would be lobbying for it.

Please no. I'd sign Dressler to an extension, 2 years. Yes risky but worth the risk imo.

However, this might be all a moot point as one could predict Dressler calling it a career sooner than later due to his incurred injuries over time and wanting to begin his next chapter in life wherever that may be, football analyst/coach?

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Id drop dressler in a heart beat if it ment walker was coming here...denmark too.

I wouldn't drop Dressler. He's our best reciever when healthy. Denmark unfortunately has been mostly invisible. It's too bad because him and Nichols had such good chemistry and part of the reason for our resurgence was the play of Nichols and Denmark together. I'd love for us to make a big mid season move. We're a good football club and another receiving threat would certainly help this offense. 

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I wouldn't drop Dressler. He's our best reciever when healthy. Denmark unfortunately has been mostly invisible. It's too bad because him and Nichols had such good chemistry and part of the reason for our resurgence was the play of Nichols and Denmark together. I'd love for us to make a big mid season move. We're a good football club and another receiving threat would certainly help this offense. 

I just find sometimes  his worth on our team is more than some think . The fact of how multidimensional he is.  He probably could play DB if asked.

At times, he just can't be stopped. When I went to the Edmonton game last year, they could not cover him. Unfortunately he only lasted the first half due to injury. 

Yes his health, big question mark, but can't question his consistent productivity when on the field. 

I feel Dressler in a way is like Messam who a lot were writing off before his time had expired.

Edited by HardCoreBlue
His not He's Writing not Righting Sheesh

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I just find sometimes  he's worth on our team is more than some think . The fact of how multidimensional he is.  He probably could play DB if asked.

At times, he just can't be stopped. When I went to the Edmonton game last year, they could not cover him. Unfortunately he only lasted the first half due to injury. 

Yes his health, big question mark, but can't question his consistent productivity when on the field. 

I feel Dressler in a way is like Messam who a lot were righting off before his time had expired.

I think some expected Smith to be the big play guy and Dressler to be productive but not dominant. Dressler has done everything and more in my eyes since being a Bomber and his play hasn't trickled off at all. He will be a huge part of our offense down the stretch but a trio of Adams-Dressler-Walker would be absolutely dangerous and definitely put our core with the very best in the league. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

So you'd be looking at paying for half a season for Walker, what's realistic in that situation?

100k.

I think you could get him for less on a multi-year deal with a chunk up-front, but as a hired gun for 2017 there will be a few teams that would use up a lot of their remaining cap space to land him.

And since he probably wants to be back in the NFL next year, I'm not in a rush to show all of our talent the door.

Edited by mbrg

Depends on where we're at when he's ready to come back, but if he comes back willing and able to play the last 6 games of the season + playoffs, I'd throw a prorated 200k at him, which would be 66k-ish - and I'd give him whatever we need to upfront.

Can you imagine a group of receivers made up of Walker-Adams-Dressler-Thorpe-JFG?