The bottom line is, there are good fans and bad fans in every fanbase. Just because you see a handful of idiots on a sports forum, doesn't mean the entire fanbase is stupid. It is a misconception here that most Rider fans are rabid and unintelligent when the average fan is just like the rest of you, respectful, yet passionate. (I'm not saying that none of them are, but it has become a stereotype.)

I'm not here to pick fights, but fanbase bashing is petty. All it does is distract us from our own teams and it disrespects people who care about their teams and the league. I am all for rivalry; this is one of my favourite times of the year, but the point that it becomes obsessive is when it has gone too far. There have been some bad trolls here who don't have any business posting on this site, but at the same time almost everyone new who attempts to show respect and have a good conservation gets shot down instantly. Not every Rider fan comes here to bash the other team and boast about their own. 

Edited by AtlanticRiderFan

26 minutes ago, AtlanticRiderFan said:

The bottom line is, there are good fans and bad fans in every fanbase. Just because you see a handful of idiots on a sports forum, doesn't mean the entire fanbase is stupid. It is a misconception here that most Rider fans are rabid and unintelligent when the average fan is just like the rest of you, respectful, yet passionate. (I'm not saying that none of them are, but it has become a stereotype.)

I'm not here to pick fights, but fanbase bashing is petty. All it does is distract us from our own teams and it disrespects people who care about their teams and the league. I am all for rivalry; this is one of my favourite times of the year, but the point that it becomes obsessive is when it has gone too far. There have been some bad trolls here who don't have any business posting on this site, but at the same time almost everyone new who attempts to show respect and have a good conservation gets shot down instantly. Not every Rider fan comes here to bash the other team and boast about their own. 

not everyone but the majority do show up and have some really boneheaded or trollish comments.. its not really refutable, it happens almost weekly..

Rider fans have created their stereotype and continue to own it every time I see them talk on a forum, board or comment section... I get you want everyone to get along but the rest of your brood really do live up to the image they have built up for themselves.. you cannot blame people for getting their backs up and responding in kind..

55 minutes ago, Mike said:

Unfortunately, the reality is this comment doesn't seem to carry as much weight when it's coming from somebody who has been just as guilty of initiating arguments. I've watched you harass Ripper over one opinion of his for what seems like days now and as an uninvested reader, it's just annoying to keep reading.

I didn't like Ripper's attitude of trolling either. Didn't think it crossed the line as something I could moderate, so I didn't but I didn't go out of my way to bother him (and by association, people trying to read threads) about it endlessly. 

My main thing is this: some folks here are incredibly quick to criticize Riderfans.com for the way they treat opposing fans. And I agree. Some of them are ignorant to all but the team some people cheer for. But look in the mirror. We're doing it too. 

Thanks Mike. I have not mentioned Nichols and have tried to stay away from it since our chat.  I won't interject any more into the qb talk here and stick to other subjects.  Reminds me of the many battles I have had with Rider fans regarding Durant over the years. 

Good lord this thread was exhausting to read form the beginning. I'll just make 2 points:

Point #1 - I have no issue with fans of any team commenting, even critically, on the Bombers on this forum or otherwise. I walk around with a fairly large pair of blue and gold glasses on and even I know our team is not without it's criticisms. I can handle when people talk **** about the Bombers. If I value their opinion, it helps me look at the team more objectively. If I don't value their opinion, who gives a *** what they think anyways? I'm not going to let it ruin my day/week/life.

Point #2 - As far as the trolls go, it's the old standard that all you do is encourage them when you engage so I find it amusing that people reply constantly to them and then complain that they are still around. Want them to go away? Stop encouraging their discussion. Simple.

Disclaimer - I am not pushing my beliefs on anyone and feel free to continue getting #madonline if you want but this all seems a bit too tiresome for me.

11 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

Good lord this thread was exhausting to read form the beginning. I'll just make 2 points:

Point #1 - I have no issue with fans of any team commenting, even critically, on the Bombers on this forum or otherwise. I walk around with a fairly large pair of blue and gold glasses on and even I know our team is not without it's criticisms. I can handle when people talk **** about the Bombers. If I value their opinion, it helps me look at the team more objectively. If I don't value their opinion, who gives a *** what they think anyways? I'm not going to let it ruin my day/week/life.

Point #2 - As far as the trolls go, it's the old standard that all you do is encourage them when you engage so I find it amusing that people reply constantly to them and then complain that they are still around. Want them to go away? Stop encouraging their discussion. Simple.

Disclaimer - I am not pushing my beliefs on anyone and feel free to continue getting #madonline if you want but this all seems a bit too tiresome for me.

23 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Thanks Mike. I have not mentioned Nichols and have tried to stay away from it since our chat.  I won't interject any more into the qb talk here and stick to other subjects.  Reminds me of the many battles I have had with Rider fans regarding Durant over the years. 

You called Nichols a ham and egger 16 hours ago.

16 hours ago, Ripper said:

I think he is a ham and egger. Sorry if that hurts your feelings. Why does it bother you so much? If I am some random internet idiot, why would you care. 

4 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I was replying to a post. I have dropped it for a while, problem is none of you can.  I'll take a break so your site won't get ruined. 

Clearly you haven't dropped it or you wouldn't have replied.  Hey, I'm all for you coming over here and expressing your opinion, but don't expect it to go unchallenged, especially when you continue to re-state and defend it.

34 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I was replying to a post. I have dropped it for a while, problem is none of you can.  I'll take a break so your site won't get ruined. 

Please do. Your schtick has grown tiresome and lacks anything of meaningful substance, imagination, creativity, or, frankly, intelliegence, and it has nothing to do with you being a Rider fan. Your posts just suck. But please come back and entertain us if you feel you have something worthwhile to contribute regarding the Winnipeg Blue Bomber Football Club.

I really dont care where certain posters allegiances lie... Riders? Whatever . Ticats? Whatever... The 1 argo fan... Whatever... Bombers even... If you say something dumb or ridiculous or you are trolling or just stirring the pot... Well... Piss off. 

If not, its all good. But i mean.. This is Labour Day weekend aka Rivalry games so i see no real issue with Rider fans right now... Besides their arrogance and smugness and bandwagon jumping... But really... Thats a small portion of the fanbase. Ripper? Seems ok... Other than maybe trolling about Nichols a wee bit.. I dont see the issue... I think Glenn is a Ham N Egger... But guys like Migs or whoever... Yeah.. Dont need those types around

Wow, this thread is pretty illuminating about the maturity level of our own Bomber fans here. Who the hell cares what a Rider/Ticat/Esikimo/whatever fan says about our team? The freaking rivalries we have are what make football fun. Friendly ribbing is a part of the game. What's really pathetic is all the whining the Bomber fans are doing here. "So and so is a troll." "So and so offended me because my mom died three years ago." What a bunch of whiny babies. Also, painting all Rider fans with the same brush is, as someone else said, ludicrous. Like any fanbase, there are those who are insightful and add value to to the discussion, and there are those who come here wanting a reaction. Guess what - there are Bomber fans like that, too.

Also, Rod Black, whatever your issue is, you should really get over it. It's clear that the quote of Mike's someone replied with was what the OP is referring to. It seems like you're trying to incite controversy and I cannot figure out why.

TL;DR: Just be decent human beings to other humans, regardless of what jersey they choose to wear on their backs. It's really not that ******* complicated.

4 minutes ago, aalgernon said:

Also, Rod Black, whatever your issue is, you should really get over it. It's clear that the quote of Mike's someone replied with was what the OP is referring to. It seems like you're trying to incite controversy and I cannot figure out why.

You have no idea the value of getting someone to produce a referenced quote.

and now your piling on. So stop it. 

If we keep driving away other teams fans we'll turn into riderfans which is just a cesspool. They have more traffic but this place has way  more MEANINGFUL discussion. There they just spew nonsense at each other and live in echo chamber of GO rIDERS OMg!!!1!1  

Having other teams fans gives good outside perspective on our own team because everyone tends to overvalue their own players/prospects.

We're a better province than them in every way, let's keep it that way 

Edited by Judd

Message boards are not static things.....they move and shake, as people express their opinions.  Dissenting and disagreeing .....actually is best done with some good nature, facts, wit and outright humor.   
The deal is to at least make the attempt, and take the same pride in this board...... as we do with our team. 
Opposing fans can add quite a lot to any board..... including insight about their own team, the stoking of ole rivalries, and some entertainment (one way or another).   Non-personal trash talking is what real fans, can do.

I trust our mods, to deal with blatant trolls, in the appropriate manner.  

As far as this particular thread......Ripper referring to Nichols as a breakfast special, can easily be refuted with simple FACTS.      Nichols's numbers, winning record as starter, and many comebacks...speak for themselves.     Some of the reaction, here....has been a bit over the top.

I think there's a fine line that gets crossed here too often. As passionate football fans obviously a little good natured ribbing  on the Riders is fine. We're rivals, and I expected their fan base to do the same. As annoying as I find some of their fans I would never paint every single fan with that same brush. I've partied with many rider fans after the banjo bowl and most of them are great supportive fans who love football. I think it's important to create a mutual respect between fanbases because at the end of the day both fan bases have their bad apples but most fans are good fans.. Like I said good natured teasing back and forth is fine but personal attacks on people who disagree with your opinion isn't ok. Someone like Ripper who is a regular on this forum is a good example. I may not always agree with his opinion and I myself might give him a tough time over it but I respect that right that he has an opinion and atleast backs up his arguments. 

27 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I think there's a fine line that gets crossed here too often. As passionate football fans obviously a little good natured ribbing  on the Riders is fine. We're rivals, and I expected their fan base to do the same. As annoying as I find some of their fans I would never paint every single fan with that same brush. I've partied with many rider fans after the banjo bowl and most of them are great supportive fans who love football. I think it's important to create a mutual respect between fanbases because at the end of the day both fan bases have their bad apples but most fans are good fans.. Like I said good natured teasing back and forth is fine but personal attacks on people who disagree with your opinion isn't ok. Someone like Ripper who is a regular on this forum is a good example. I may not always agree with his opinion and I myself might give him a tough time over it but I respect that right that he has an opinion and atleast backs up his arguments. 

Truly.  I've partied with some great Rider fans and also had to fight for my life (literally) against some for the crime of wearing blue and gold in Regina on Labour Day weekend.  There is good and bad in every fanbase.

I don't like the Riders or Rider fans, and it's part of the rivalry. For me there are 2 acceptable outcomes to a CFL season. Option 1. The Bombers win a Grey up. Option 2. The Riders don't.

That said I have many more bomber fans blocked on here than Rider fans, but I find the board more tolerable without having to read what certain people are saying. From this thread it seems Rod Black is upset about something, or he's upset people. I don't know or care, I blocked him long enough ago I don't have to read any of his stuff.

There are insufferable bomber fans on forums, there are insufferable rider fans as well. My biggest issue with Rider fans is their insistence on wearing their Rider gear to non CFL events or non Rider games.

I wear a bomber jersey when I go to a bomber game. In September I'm going to an Argos/Ticats game, and I will not be wearing a bomber jersey, but I expect to see Rider jerseys. I went to an NHL game in Ottawa, lots of red and white in the stands, and a few clowns in green. Ottawa/Nashville playing hockey and you're wearing your Riders jersey. I get they can wear whatever they want, but I find it annoying. Support a team in the game being played or be neutral.

So in conclusion, screw most rider fans, and screw some bomber fans who are idiots. Basically some people suck, some of them are bomber fans, some are rider fans, some may even be driving their combine to the game sunday because it's the only transportation they have.

17 minutes ago, brett_c_b said:

I don't like the Riders or Rider fans, and it's part of the rivalry. For me there are 2 acceptable outcomes to a CFL season. Option 1. The Bombers win a Grey up. Option 2. The Riders don't.

That said I have many more bomber fans blocked on here than Rider fans, but I find the board more tolerable without having to read what certain people are saying. From this thread it seems Rod Black is upset about something, or he's upset people. I don't know or care, I blocked him long enough ago I don't have to read any of his stuff.

There are insufferable bomber fans on forums, there are insufferable rider fans as well. My biggest issue with Rider fans is their insistence on wearing their Rider gear to non CFL events or non Rider games.

I wear a bomber jersey when I go to a bomber game. In September I'm going to an Argos/Ticats game, and I will not be wearing a bomber jersey, but I expect to see Rider jerseys. I went to an NHL game in Ottawa, lots of red and white in the stands, and a few clowns in green. Ottawa/Nashville playing hockey and you're wearing your Riders jersey. I get they can wear whatever they want, but I find it annoying. Support a team in the game being played or be neutral.

So in conclusion, screw most rider fans, and screw some bomber fans who are idiots. Basically some people suck, some of them are bomber fans, some are rider fans, some may even be driving their combine to the game sunday because it's the only transportation they have.

I'd like to say that I agree with your post, but you'll never see it...

1 hour ago, brett_c_b said:

I wear a bomber jersey when I go to a bomber game. In September I'm going to an Argos/Ticats game, and I will not be wearing a bomber jersey, but I expect to see Rider jerseys. I went to an NHL game in Ottawa, lots of red and white in the stands, and a few clowns in green.

This times 10000. Every major city with an NHL team has the sense to not do it but little brother can't figure it out 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, tracker said:

Mark is right, and I apologize for my poorly-chosen riposte to szardoz 71. By the way wasn't Szardoz the worst Sean Connery movie ever?

I think everyone participating in this thread should sit down together and watch Zardoz, right now.  Here's a sneak peek:

Image result for zardoz

5 hours ago, AtlanticRiderFan said:

It is a misconception here that most Rider fans are rabid and unintelligent

Oh it's no misconception and I ain't talking just about the people on the internet either. 

Rider fans are completely blind to the rest of the league because most of them jumped on the bandwagon all too recently. 

Plague on the CFL and the league would be better off without them. 

5 minutes ago, aalgernon said:

Sir, the quote has already been produced, and was provided on page 1 or 2.

2 hours ago, Rod Black said:

You have no idea the value of getting someone to produce a referenced quote.

and now your piling on. So stop it. 

I  said Stop it. 

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

You called Nichols a ham and egger 16 hours ago.

Yep. Exactly. There's the quote made just last night again & it was directed at me. So, same **** different day. If  Ripper want respect here then he should post like he actually wants it. But why should I be polite to Rider fans who just come on here to talk trash? Just because Mike & Tehedra want it? Ain't happening & I'm not sorry for it. Especially with 2 games this next week coming up.

ARF has proven himself here so he gets my respect. Ripper has done nothing but talk **** so his words to me are hollow as I don't think he means it. He says he isn't getting involved in qb talk here so he calls Nichols a ham & egger again one more time. He's done nothing to earn anyone's respect here as far as I'm concerned with ongoing comments like that.

I personally never go on Rider Fans even though I could as I'm an active member. I haven't made one single post there in over a decade. Why should I? My team is the Bombers. I don't have to prove anything as a fan to the Watermelon Heads over there. I have no desire to post on RF so I don't. Therefore, I never understood the mindset of someone like Ripper or Migs coming here to  raise trouble.  Why? What's the point, really?? If somehow having to come here everyday to prove in their minds that everything Regina & the Roughriders are superior to us & every other team as well as city in the CFL then they have an absolutely shitty life. Or they need to find a life.