Smoke 'n' Mirrors

I will preface this by saying I would be happy with a series split and I've not lost all hope because of one loss BUT one has to admit that this team has been winning with smoke and mirros and at times inspite of some glaring deficiencies. I think it takes character and luck to win close games, which they have done this year and the show they can compete but this is a 7-3 team built on unstable ground starting with a stubborn coach, questionable defensive scheme and talent , mediocre special teams and an offence without a true play making receiver plus baffling play calls (I.e) jump ball to Denmark when it wasn't necessary nor is it the type of catch he ever makes.

My bottom line is that this record is deceiving and this team while competitive could easily be 3-7 and next week will show their true colours.

Edited by sportmentary2012
Typo

What happened yesterday can hardly be considered surprising on any front. I have been a Bomber fan since the late 70s, and even when we have had dominant teams  and the riders have been abysmal  – see the entire decade of the 80's -  we have tended to lose and even get smoked on Labour Day. 

That said, I will repeat the obvious, stated here and elsewhere by many posters, for my own self–cathartic reasons:  We have a strong, steady, though non-explosive offense.   That offense has and will continue to put up points though isn't a group that will ever strike a deep fear in the hearts of defenses. They are more a get it done/lunchbucket crew.  And, as such, they are good enough: good enough to make the playoffs, and possibly push into them, even win the big prize. 

If...

If they were supported by a even average defense. Which they are not.  

Our defense frequently has inadequate pressure/push, a linebacking corps which is 2/3 inadequate, and a porous bend and break secondary.   I believe we have given up an average of approximately 30 points per game. And that, folks, just ain't gonna get it done. 

It is simply unrealistic to expect  our steady but unspectacular offence to bail out a weak defence every week. So, going into the LDC – an extremely hostile environment – it really was asking a lot to get another Houdini moment. 

Finally, until the blue bombers acknowledge the core problem on defence – and I don't know whether it is schemes or personnel or both – this team will not be a serious contender to end the longest championship drought in blue bombers history. 

2 hours ago, sportmentary2012 said:

I will preface this by saying I would be happy with a series split and I've not lost all hope because of one loss BUT one has to admit that this team has been winning with smoke and mirros and at times inspite of some glaring deficiencies. I think it takes character and luck to win close games, which they have done this year and the show they can compete but this is a 7-3 team built on unstable ground starting with a stubborn coach, questionable defensive scheme and talent , mediocre special teams and an offence without a true play making receiver plus baffling play calls (I.e) jump ball to Denmark when it wasn't necessary nor is it the type of catch he ever makes.

My bottom line is that this record is deceiving and this team while competitive could easily be 3-7 and next week will show their true colours.

LOL - smoke and mirrors?  A win is a win, a loss is a loss. I did not think the Bombers would be 7 - 3 at this point. Could the Bombers be 3 - 7? Sure, the Bombers could be 10 - 0 or 0 - 10 .  This, by far, is the most entertaining CFL season I've seen in probably 10 years. Maybe more.  Other than the Tigercats, every team is capable of winning any week (one only need look at Mtrls' over Calgary earlier this year). 

And as already stated - bombers almost always 'stink' at the LDC - Saskatchewan almost always comes out on fire and the Bombers come out flat. The fact that they (Riders) were held to only 4 points (I think) in the second half shows that . 

Matt Nichols has been outstanding this year, and if Andrew Harris isn't already a shoe-in for Outstanding Canadian and possibly player, then the 'fix' is in lol.

Just enjoy the season - no team is going to win every game and really looking forward to the rematch (thought gotta PVR it - off to Rogers and UFC on Saturday)

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

This rider team was supposed to be in disarray at the beginning of the year....didn't look that way yesterday...We made them look awfully good and we just plain stunk...I expected a better effort and a few Bombers better look through that smoke and straight into the mirror.

The unicorns and rainbows turned into a harsh reality in a hurry.  Better show some heart at home on Saturday.

3 hours ago, KptKrunch said:

LOL - smoke and mirrors?  A win is a win, a loss is a loss. I did not think the Bombers would be 7 - 3 at this point. Could the Bombers be 3 - 7? Sure, the Bombers could be 10 - 0 or 0 - 10 .  This, by far, is the most entertaining CFL season I've seen in probably 10 years. Maybe more.  Other than the Tigercats, every team is capable of winning any week (one only need look at Mtrls' over Calgary earlier this year). 

And as already stated - bombers almost always 'stink' at the LDC - Saskatchewan almost always comes out on fire and the Bombers come out flat. The fact that they (Riders) were held to only 4 points (I think) in the second half shows that . 

Matt Nichols has been outstanding this year, and if Andrew Harris isn't already a shoe-in for Outstanding Canadian and possibly player, then the 'fix' is in lol.

Just enjoy the season - no team is going to win every game and really looking forward to the rematch (thought gotta PVR it - off to Rogers and UFC on Saturday)

I appreciate your reply but I fear that teams will use this game as a blue print for success this brutal defense that can't cover over he middle and gets little pressure on the qb. I agree that nicols (but for his 2 brain cramps today) and Harris are playing very well and carrying this team but they are not as prolific an offence as CAL, EDM or even SASK (I am impressed by that receiving core) therefore, the defence has to be better and during the win streak the offence kept them in games but yesterday both 'o' and 'd' helped out SASK when they didn't need any help!

4 hours ago, IC Khari said:

You could say the same thing about the Riders the last 3 games ... ya that's right Riderfans, your team still sucks!

yep.  Time for Kevin Glenn to have a true "Kevin Glenn" game.  The Emperor has no clothes.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

all these wonderful with minimal post counts showing up immediately after a loss... So much fun, and should absolutely be taken very seriously... 

Let me get this straight because someone doesn't have 7000 posts their opinion is less valid or not worthy of being taken seriously. I suggest that isn't a great way to invite new comments or participation in this forum. I post when something inspires me to do it. Yesterday's game was one of those where I felt the need to get my thoughts off my chest. I was in the 'babble' section during the game and usually am there when I can be.  I may not be a 'prolific' poster but I know the right time to post and I have legitimate concerns about this team moving forward. I am not panicking just yet I'll reserve that for Saturday's game. If they are picked apart again then I'll be posting and if they destroy the Rider's I'll also post something. I just fel it is very 'Trumpian' to judge someone by how many posts they have or don't have!

1 hour ago, sportmentary2012 said:

Let me get this straight because someone doesn't have 7000 posts their opinion is less valid or not worthy of being taken seriously. I suggest that isn't a great way to invite new comments or participation in this forum. I post when something inspires me to do it. Yesterday's game was one of those where I felt the need to get my thoughts off my chest. I was in the 'babble' section during the game and usually am there when I can be.  I may not be a 'prolific' poster but I know the right time to post and I have legitimate concerns about this team moving forward. I am not panicking just yet I'll reserve that for Saturday's game. If they are picked apart again then I'll be posting and if they destroy the Rider's I'll also post something. I just fel it is very 'Trumpian' to judge someone by how many posts they have or don't have!

First, you need to get less butt hurt from an internet forum. 2nd your original post reads like you're jumping off the ledge that's why its hard to take it seriously. No team gets 5 straight wins with smoke and mirrors. Streaks come to an end. Football = any given sunday (or Saturday in this case). Especially in the CFL.

Have your opinion...that's fine. But dont post it online if you're not ready for someone to **** all over it. Cause its gonna happen. It's the internet, if you dont like it....tough ****.

When we slaughter the Riders next week and send them home from the Banjo Bowl with their rope belts between their tails, and their ugly toothless woman crying into what's left of their stupid rotting watermelon rinds, all will be right again with the world, and this thread will seem so much more like the overreact much thread it is.

58 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

First, you need to get less butt hurt from an internet forum. 2nd your original post reads like you're jumping off the ledge that's why its hard to take it seriously. No team gets 5 straight wins with smoke and mirrors. Streaks come to an end. Football = any given sunday (or Saturday in this case). Especially in the CFL.

Have your opinion...that's fine. But dont post it online if you're not ready for someone to **** all over it. Cause its gonna happen. It's the internet, if you dont like it....tough ****.

You make me laugh I'm not butt hurt just questioning why jabroni no. 2 looks at post numbers as a sign of worthiness?? Only he can answer that and moreover I prefaced  my comments with " I haven't lost all hope and it is just one loss" so no ledge or jumping legitimate concern about a team that has won 2 ot games and another with a miracle comeback/Montreal meltdown!

46 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

When we slaughter the Riders next week and send them home from the Banjo Bowl with their rope belts between their tails, and their ugly toothless woman crying into what's left of their stupid rotting watermelon rinds, all will be right again with the world, and this thread will seem so much more like the overreact much thread it is.

they actuall showed somebody gobbling watermelon during the broadcast.

Now that's good video!       (je-rry todd)

39 minutes ago, sportmentary2012 said:

You make me laugh I'm not butt hurt just questioning why jabroni no. 2 looks at post numbers as a sign of worthiness?? Only he can answer that and moreover I prefaced  my comments with " I haven't lost all hope and it is just one loss" so no ledge or jumping legitimate concern about a team that has won 2 ot games and another with a miracle comeback/Montreal meltdown!

because people with low post counts only show up to ***** and moan about the losses and disappear when there is nothing to ***** about. it's one game but the way some of you act you'd think they were 3-7 not the other way around. 

Go rant at your facebook feed or twitter account rather than here if you're irrationally angry over the result of one game that the team always loses anyway. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

because people with low post counts only show up to ***** and moan about the losses and disappear when there is nothing to ***** about. it's one game but the way some of you act you'd think they were 3-7 not the other way around. 

Go rant at your facebook feed or twitter account rather than here if you're irrationally angry over the result of one game that the team always loses anyway. 

This is not the first game  that I am  angry about the deensive play and it is certainly not the first time this season where the defence was torched. I am legitimately concerned about it as all fans should be. I would never post that after a win because  y'all have your blue blinders on but the fact is the Bombers defence is second last in  both points allowed (31.6 per game) and in passing yards allowed ( 316.50 ) so in fact the 7 wins have been on the heels of an offence that is playing very well and but for that the Bombers would be fighting it out with Hamilton for last place. Once again  I'm not jumping off the ledge I was concerned about the defence before, DURING and after the win streak.  One more caveat, it has been years since the Blue had a prolific offence thus I am very happy about that but frustrated with the defence DESPITE the 7 wins!!!