(SOURCE) Contract Extensions for Maurice AND Chevy

Jimmy Pop

I sort of assumed this when there was talk months ago, that they'd announce shortly before the season.  When it hadnt come yet, the speculation was Maurice was on a short rope.  But I just dont think that happens much.  You cant have a lame duck head coach. 

I definitely approve of Chevy's work thus far so his extension is welcome.  Will be interesting to see what Maurice gets because the Jets HAVE to win this year or really, they HAVE to make a change somewhere.  And you dont want to face making a coaching change with a guy who has 3+ years left.

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Would have preferred Maurice gets ext after season.

Isnt he only on a one year deal now?  So you want to extend him when he's a free agent?  If the Jets value Maurice, thats a very bad idea.  Thats not a commentary on whether they SHOULD value him.  But if they like him, they cant let him play out his contract.

I thought all blame is on Flaherty and Huddy?   

Regardless Chevy definitely makes sense...  Maurice is a gamble.    I would love for  the Jets to spend big money and bring in a real proven winning coach.  Not a guy who has hung around a long time with mediocre results....

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Isnt he only on a one year deal now?  So you want to extend him when he's a free agent?  If the Jets value Maurice, thats a very bad idea.  Thats not a commentary on whether they SHOULD value him.  But if they like him, they cant let him play out his contract.

Yes & yes.

There seems to be some notion that Maurice is an upper echelon-type coach.  Like he'd potentially leave us after this year and be picked up by a Cup favourite.   I don't get that.  :unsure:

10 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yep terrible move..lets reward a regime that's produced one playoff in 7 years...oh well guess Chipman can afford a Maurice buyout and Chevys here till the team makes it one playoff in 14 before the genius tag wears off...

S you'd be happy today if Chevy and Maurice were both fired?

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Yes & yes.

There seems to be some notion that Maurice is an upper echelon-type coach.  Like he'd potentially leave us after this year and be picked up by a Cup favourite.   I don't get that.  :unsure:

Its funny because the majority of coaches who have won have also lost.  So the idea that there are genius coaches that are just always amazing, I dont think thats true.  There are examples of coaches that were written off that came back to lead teams to success.  Coaching is only one aspect of success or failure.

I like Maurice.  I dont think he's the type of coach that takes a bad team and wills them to success.  But I also dont think he takes a good team and makes it bad. 

The Jets either have to fire Maurice today or give him an extension.  Its bad form to have a lame duck head coach.  You just dont do that.  A two year extension would be great.  Three, I could live with.  More than that and Im hoping for the best.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

S you'd be happy today if Chevy and Maurice were both fired?

No , could of stayed at 1 year extensions each to make a statement to the fans that not making the playoffs again is unacceptable. At the very least leave Maurice at one year but meh it's Chipmans team not ours. 

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Its funny because the majority of coaches who have won have also lost.  So the idea that there are genius coaches that are just always amazing, I dont think thats true.  There are examples of coaches that were written off that came back to lead teams to success.  Coaching is only one aspect of success or failure.

I like Maurice.  I dont think he's the type of coach that takes a bad team and wills them to success.  But I also dont think he takes a good team and makes it bad. 

The Jets either have to fire Maurice today or give him an extension.  Its bad form to have a lame duck head coach.  You just dont do that.  A two year extension would be great.  Three, I could live with.  More than that and Im hoping for the best.

Maurice's teams have missed the playoffs 12 times, made the playoffs 5 times.   He's under .500 as a coach here. 

Bottom line is even a 1 yr extension is "hoping for the best". 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Maurice's teams have missed the playoffs 12 times, made the playoffs 5 times.   He's under .500 as a coach here. 

Hard to argue with the FACTS though some here will definitely try...?

14 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Im not advocating Maurice as coach of the century.  And I dont want to make excuses.  But he also tok on some bad teams including the Hartford Whalers when they were being sold and relocated, a young Hurricanes team which went on two win two division titles, a conference title and, of course, a Cup final.  They had no offense and sucked following the cup run.  They re-built on the back of drafting Staal.

He then coached a horrible Leafs team.  He went back to Carolina where he led the team to another conference final, losing to the Pens (who won the cup).

And in Winnipeg where the Jets have been re-building since they got here.

So is Maurice a "winner"? No.  Has he won?  Yes.  Im not ready to write him off yet.  But regardless, looking at it from a business perspective, if you're lame ducking your HC, then fire him.  If you're not going to lame duck him, you sort of have to offer an extension.

I dont know how much "Winnipeg" factors in but if you want to lure a successful coach here who would have multiple offers, how do you get him here? 

So, when you consider the big picture, it makes sense.  And ultimately, its only money.  Which we have lots of.  If the Jets suck, Maurice will get fired.  The Jets management arent ready to write him off yet.  They would know better.  Ill defer to their judgement in the short term.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not advocating Maurice as coach of the century.  And I dont want to make excuses.  But he also tok on some bad teams including the Hartford Whalers when they were being sold and relocated, a young Hurricanes team which went on two win two division titles, a conference title and, of course, a Cup final.  They had no offense and sucked following the cup run.  They re-built on the back of drafting Staal.

He then coached a horrible Leafs team.  He went back to Carolina where he led the team to another conference final, losing to the Pens (who won the cup).

And in Winnipeg where the Jets have been re-building since they got here.

So is Maurice a "winner"? No.  Has he won?  Yes.  Im not ready to write him off yet.  But regardless, looking at it from a business perspective, if you're lame ducking your HC, then fire him.  If you're not going to lame duck him, you sort of have to offer an extension.

I dont know how much "Winnipeg" factors in but if you want to lure a successful coach here who would have multiple offers, how do you get him here? 

So, when you consider the big picture, it makes sense.  And ultimately, its only money.  Which we have lots of.  If the Jets suck, Maurice will get fired.  The Jets management arent ready to write him off yet.  They would know better.  Ill defer to their judgement in the short term.

Well actually from management perspective it does make sense. It allows Chevy some wiggle room to pass the buck again and fire his coach instead of the focus falling on him.  One more coach to go though Chevy before that genius tag starts to look suspect.

Just now, bb1 said:

Well actually from management perspective it does make sense. It allows Chevy some wiggle room to pass the buck again and fire his coach instead of the focus falling on him.  One more coach to go though Chevy before that genius tag starts to look suspect.

ya, thats why he signed him to the extension.. so he has one more buffer between him and being fired..

unreal.

I like and agree with the Chevy signing. I mean look at the young stars on the roster.. They are all chevy draft picks... Scheif Ehlers Laine Morrissey Connor Trouba... Lowry even. 

Chevy deserved an extension and if im the Jets owner.. Chevy is here aslong as he wants to be.. Think Poile in Nashville.. 

Maurice? Hmm... Not a fan but.. Still think this is make it or break it year for him. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Hoped I'd see #8 getting a long term deal before either of these two, TBH.

#8 has to want to be here and even said hes in no rush to sign this season. My guess.. He signs 7 years next summer sometime. Probably traded at some point in that contract tho. 

Maurice has a goalie now so we will see if that helps. Hes got 2 goalies who should give them a good team save percentage. Last year is the only year i felt excuses were valid... So many injuries... Crazy schedule to start so no practice time... Yeah.. Last year was tough. No excuses this year tho. 

Edited by Goalie