Edmonton - was it PI?

aalgernon

I imagine most people saw Maas losing his composure over the non-PI call on Saturday. Link here if not. PI wasn't called, Maas challenged and the command centre upheld the non-call. I'm wondering what everyone thinks, though: PI or not? Personally it looked like a bit of a back in forth the whole way, and my initial reaction was that a non-call was correct, even though there was a bit of contact.

In spite of this, I still felt like TSN and the officiating had a pro-Calgary leaning for this game. Edmonton didn't play great, and took some dumb penalties, but there were a few missed calls on Calgary that would have made an impact. Of course, it was also a matter of the team beating themselves - Maas's behaviour could not have helped his team focus on the matter at hand: playing the damn game.

Also, I'm starting to agree with everyone about just how annoying Suitor is... I wish TSN would consider hiring some alternative colour commentators to liven up the games a bit. 

I felt like the call was made correctly. I was surprised at Jason Maas on how unprofessional he acted. It showed exactly the type of person he is. The same guy who wouldn't wear the mic on the mic'd up game last season. I understand being competitive but in that moment in front of your team it was a terrible place to come unglued. It showed later in the game as well when one of his players pulled the same stunt on the field. I truly do not like Jason Maas and these kinds of things are the reason why. He acts like a spoiled brat. 

Edited by Firekid

I think the non-call was correct and, if anything, Edmonton's receiver went out of his way to initiate the contact .. they were lucky it didn't go the other way.  

Edmonton was one of those teams that benefited from (and abused) the loose Challenge rules early in the season and, I feel, that since the change Maas has struggled to adjust.

Can't have a head coach melting down on the sidelines like that.  

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Looked like the Edmonton player was embracing the Stamps player in an effort to get a call. 

Did Maas get a penalty for his meltdown?

No they just let him tucker himself out and then it was nap time.   If you read the stuff on Eskfans, it seems that while several posters think that Mass needs to get a grip on himself,  for others, it's not surprising he's acting this way, given the fact that there's a league wide conspiracy against the Eskimos.  So many conspiracies, so little time.

23 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Maas is a mega d o u c h e. With their defense, o-line and ST they aren't going anywhere.. Even with the best QB in the game. 

I am not writing them off.  They have the best QB, a good to great receiving corps and enough pieces overall to make a run at the right time.  They have more than the Red Blacks had last year.  Well, except for an easy division.

15 minutes ago, MC said:

I am not writing them off.  They have the best QB, a good to great receiving corps and enough pieces overall to make a run at the right time.  They have more than the Red Blacks had last year.  Well, except for an easy division.

Anyone can get hot at the right time. Simply make it to the playoffs and you never know what can happen. But they don't scare me. Calgary is still the team to beat.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Looked like the Edmonton player was embracing the Stamps player in an effort to get a call. 

Did Maas get a penalty for his meltdown?

He put the guy in a headlock! if anything I woulda called that offensive pass interference. 

Maas has gotten spoiled, they've let his big receivers get away with murder for so long he thinks they are entitled to calls. 

Jason moss once ran a portion of the "death race" in the town I live in in Alberta.  He was a free agent at the time And they brought him on stage for a little interview when he was done.  I believe it was 2012 and we were struggling with our qb situation.  Moss stood on stage and told the crowd that Winnipeg sucked and he was considering signing as our qb.  I went and found him after and asked him if there was any merit to his comments and he laughed and said no one had actually called him yet....i haven't been able to stand him since I saw how arrogant he was on that day 

3 minutes ago, Albertabomberguy said:

Jason moss once ran a portion of the "death race" in the town I live in in Alberta.  He was a free agent at the time And they brought him on stage for a little interview when he was done.  I believe it was 2012 and we were struggling with our qb situation.  Moss stood on stage and told the crowd that Winnipeg sucked and he was considering signing as our qb.  I went and found him after and asked him if there was any merit to his comments and he laughed and said no one had actually called him yet....i haven't been able to stand him since I saw how arrogant he was on that day 

Haha his last year as a starter in the Canadian Football League once he lost his starting job to Ricky Ray looked like this..  8 TD's, 17 INT's, 3200 yards passing. So really who sucks?

5 hours ago, aalgernon said:

Also, I'm starting to agree with everyone about just how annoying Suitor is... I wish TSN would consider hiring some alternative colour commentators to liven up the games a bit. 

Dunnigan as a colour man is great and as a bonus he covered our Blue for our victory .... want more of that

Edited by BigBlue

Seems like the consensus here is it should have been a non-call, and like I said, I don't really disagree with that. There wasn't enough shown to overturn it, anyway.

Also, I totally agree about Maas being a little baby. Couldn't believe that. You really can't have that from a head coach. The guy needs to stand up and be an example to his players. Really pathetic.

Again, though, I did find the officiating to be one-sided after the fact. I also think that Edmonton was playing better than Calgary most of the game, but Calgary got a couple figurative and literal lucky bounces. Still doesn't excuse or validate Maas's lame ass behaviour during the game and in post-game interview. Take responsibility for the loss, figure out how you're going to fix things and move on.

Would've rather an Edmonton win than Calgary, though.

I think that what is annoying, possibly to Mass, is that Calgary receivers have been initiating contact and drawing PI penalties all season yet it wasn't called that way for the eskies. Fair is fair.