Montreal Fires Chapdelaine and Thorpe

Rich

48 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Yup, I am not surprised by this.  All I can do is just shake my head at the buffoons running things in Montreal.

Kinda seems odd though that Chapdelaine woulda wanted him promoted to GM, unless the idea there was to try and get him off the field sidelines.  If that rumor is indeed true.

I hate, as a fan of the league, to see things go sideways in Montreal as it is likely bad for the league and hope they can get on track as long as it is not against the Blue

3 minutes ago, sportmentary2012 said:

I hate, as a fan of the league, to see things go sideways in Montreal as it is likely bad for the league and hope they can get on track as long as it is not against the Blue

Trust me I'm with you there.  Even feel a bit bad for some of the Als fans who you could say are of the reasonable non-arrogant sort and who've stuck with that team over the years, and I say that because of our whole circus parade in 2013 between the whole thing about Burke saying "it was the offense's decision" and then those leaks from the BOD office and all.  But hell am I glad it's someone else and not us for once dealing with this crap.

Thorpe has been beefing with the Alouettes ownership / management for a least a couple years.  He tried to resign and take a position in Edmonton and the Als refused to accept his resignation.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/noel-thorpe-leaving-montreal-alouettes-possibly-headed-to-edmonton-eskimos

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/noel-thorpe-alouettes-popp-1.3375729

Can't imagine MOS gassing a coordinator halfway through a season, but he did so almost exactly two years ago when he fired Pat Tracey midseason.  Mind you I think the Bomber special teams that year were far worse than the Bombers D is this year.

Edited by johnzo

2 hours ago, White Out said:

Fire Hall in the off-season and hire Thorpe.

Whoa there, big fella. On 1290 Radio this afternoon, Madani was asked for his comments about the Montreal mess, and several of his observations were very interesting. Firstly, Kavis Reed was told that if he wanted to be GM, he had to accept Chapdelaine ans head coach. Chapdelaine was told by Reed that if he wanted the HC job, he had to accept Thorpe as DC. There's a recipe for conflict right there. Moreover, team discipline had broken down entirely with no consequences for bad performances or lackluster efforts. Also- Chapdelaine and Thorpe disliked each other and Thorpe does not play well with others and resists direction from above. Thorpe likes to be left alone to do his job without any perceived interference, so I'm not sure if that would make him a good fit here.

Thorpe's star has fallen significantly given both the performance of his defense this year and the apparent issues working with coaches and/or players, as mentioned in this thread.

O'Shea certainly isn't going to fire Hall, especially given our record. Moreover though, I think plenty of the issues on defense aren't actually Hall-related. Those big plays against Saskatchewan last week were mostly player-related issues (broken coverage, Walker tackling with no arms, etc).

If Hall leaves after this season due to health reasons, then I think Thorpe SHOULD be a candidate, but I'll be interested to see if more comes out about this.

12 hours ago, tracker said:

Whoa there, big fella. On 1290 Radio this afternoon, Madani was asked for his comments about the Montreal mess, and several of his observations were very interesting. Firstly, Kavis Reed was told that if he wanted to be GM, he had to accept Chapdelaine ans head coach. Chapdelaine was told by Reed that if he wanted the HC job, he had to accept Thorpe as DC. There's a recipe for conflict right there. Moreover, team discipline had broken down entirely with no consequences for bad performances or lackluster efforts. Also- Chapdelaine and Thorpe disliked each other and Thorpe does not play well with others and resists direction from above. Thorpe likes to be left alone to do his job without any perceived interference, so I'm not sure if that would make him a good fit here.

A Kavis Reed run team with no consequences?... I refuse to believe it!

Edited by bearpants

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I think that fit makes sense, and he seems the type of guy hammy would jump on. 

He's ready for head coaching gig though...  I'd make him DC/Asst GM and be ready to replace June Jones if he never learns how to use playaction or run the ball

Thorpes star has absolutely not fallen - Kavis butchered that team - Thorpe has played essentially a 3-4 forever and now he has doesn't have enough players to do that

Hebert is a great rotational player - he's sure the h*ll not Bear Woods...

9 hours ago, Floyd said:

He's ready for head coaching gig though...  I'd make him DC/Asst GM and be ready to replace June Jones if he never learns how to use playaction or run the ball

Thorpes star has absolutely not fallen - Kavis butchered that team - Thorpe has played essentially a 3-4 forever and now he has doesn't have enough players to do that

Hebert is a great rotational player - he's sure the h*ll not Bear Woods...

Why would they make him assistant GM? DC/assistant HC I could see but assistant GM?

On 9/13/2017 at 4:41 PM, johnzo said:

Thorpe has been beefing with the Alouettes ownership / management for a least a couple years.  He tried to resign and take a position in Edmonton and the Als refused to accept his resignation.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/noel-thorpe-leaving-montreal-alouettes-possibly-headed-to-edmonton-eskimos

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/noel-thorpe-alouettes-popp-1.3375729

Can't imagine MOS gassing a coordinator halfway through a season, but he did so almost exactly two years ago when he fired Pat Tracey midseason.  Mind you I think the Bomber special teams that year were far worse than the Bombers D is this year.

Great reminder. If one was a betting person, Edmonton is the likely place Thorpe ends up. JC likely heads back to BC if they'll take him.