CFL No Contact Practices Good Or Bad For League?

USABomberfan

CFL No Contact Practices Good Or Bad For League?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is This New Rule Good Or Bad?

I'm going to go with tradition here and say bad.  i mean I have to think contact practice and full pads and all have some essence to conditioning players and getting them ready to go in big games.  I really don't like this move by the league and think it's going to do more bad than good here.

Edited by USABomberfan

3 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Exactly, I'd put this on par with the NHL coming up with some silly rule like no more practices on skates.

I know they're trying to cut down on concussions but there'll be a lot of unintended consequences that will happen. Football is about hitting. Delivering & taking a hit. Being able to throw a block. You can only do so much without pads. There may be more concussions & upper body injuries as players will only be doing this during games. I don't like it. 

20 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

But it's not about skill and know-how, it's about game conditioning.  Yeah I am sure players probably like the idea of lighter practices, and no full contact sessions probably shouldn't be done every day.  But I really think if you don't prepare with any padded practice, you're going to see more injuries come game time.

performance wise, Probably can only be answered by people that have played.

health wise, has to be better for the players. But I don't really know the answer to that either. 

can always do mental  contact reps!

Milt can't be right about too late to learn..... I don't think 21 year old person is too old to learn something new.

Edited by Mark F

It's window dressing.  The reality is that nobody who wants to win practices with contact already anyway once the season starts.  Think of how many guys barely practice at all during the season, "maintenance" days.  There's a way to prepare during the week focusing on the mental side of the game and preparing the body physically that doesn't involve contact until the lights are on.

6 minutes ago, mbrg said:

I can try to be upset about this, but I forgot where I left my cranky old-man pants.

Once I find them I'll hitch them up to my nipples and talk about the good old days when you could get a car for a nickel.

Don't forget about tying an onion to your belt, which was the style at the time.

Edited by WBBFanWest

The reduction in full-contact practices may be a sop to the players' association. Apparently when a player is injured, he receives benefits for 12 months, and then he is on his own. Several teams have been trying to get WCB in their provinces to cover CFL players but so far nothing has been put in place. The players association is really pushing for extended, open-ended benefits for players but the owners are near-panicked over this issue.

53 minutes ago, tracker said:

The reduction in full-contact practices may be a sop to the players' association. Apparently when a player is injured, he receives benefits for 12 months, and then he is on his own. Several teams have been trying to get WCB in their provinces to cover CFL players but so far nothing has been put in place. The players association is really pushing for extended, open-ended benefits for players but the owners are near-panicked over this issue.

Their coverage is already better than WCB.  What they need is better disability insurance.

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

I can try to be upset about this, but I forgot where I left my cranky old-man pants.

Once I find them I'll hitch them up to my nipples and talk about the good old days when you could get a car for a nickel.

So...... basically what you're saying is anyone who doesn't agree with this  is old & crotchety? Nice argument since you jumped in here anyway to tell us you won't put on your old mans pants. No one is upset. It's a discussion. It's groundbreaking so therefore we all have opinions about this. I don't want to see the quality of games go down or players get injured because they may not be physically ready to play. But upset? Nah. 

I thin

3 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

I don't think we'll see much of an impact. They only were allowed 17 padded practices through the whole season before. 

I like the move. 

I think what sets this apart is they've taken shoulder pads out of practicing. So, not even any "light" contact.

Edited by SpeedFlex27