Jets sign Little to Extension

Rich

Chevy was asked about signing Ehlers and Laine and be basically blew it off saying those guys are RFA's.

But looking ahead.

Next year's projected salary for the Jets currently is:  $46.5 million.

Their UFA's are:

Mathias ($2.12 million), Hendricks ($700,000), Toby ($5.7), Hutch ($1.1)

RFA's are:

Lowry, Armia, Ehlers, Dano, Tanev, Helle, Sgarbosa, Trouba, Morrissey,

Based on today's cap, Jets are forecast to have $28 million in cap space. 

I see no critical UFA's.  And of the 4, the Jets should be able to bring back whomever they might want.  Worse case scenario, they walk away from Toby.

Of the RFAs, Trouba is the big ticket item and the one who might be the issue.  Let's say Jets pay him, what $8 million a year, just for fun.  That still leaves $20 million in Cap space.  Ehlers gets $5.  own to $15 million.  Between the others, Jets will be fine.

The following year we start getting antsy.  You have Wheeler, Myers, Laine, Mason.  I suspect Laine gets paid, Wheeler signs a "fair" deal to stay (if we're winning).  Myers might get traded and who knows on Mason.

We're definitely becoming a "cap" team in the next 2=3 years.  However, if we WIN, we look to be able to keep the core intact for years.

Man, I don't think I'm a fan of this contract...  Little is good but $5 million until he's 35 years old?  Laine going to want $8 million, Ehlers and Wheeler probably $6m range...

Chevy does not want to let Ehlers and Laine actually reach RFA...  marquee players are re-signed early

Dreading an Enstrom extension now...  to firm up the 'core'

27 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Man, I don't think I'm a fan of this contract...  Little is good but $5 million until he's 35 years old?  Laine going to want $8 million, Ehlers and Wheeler probably $6m range...

Chevy does not want to let Ehlers and Laine actually reach RFA...  marquee players are re-signed early

Jets still have cap space.  They have Toby's $5.7 off the books next year.  That's Ehlers right there.  Wheeler has two years left and if he wants to stay probably signs for little more than Little. 

Little took less now than he could have in Free Agency so we have to consider it a win.  If his last two years are spent as the 3RW, so what.  He can also be traded if need be.    What if we're playoff contenders til Little is 35, is it worth it then?  Cause if we let him go, we were screwed.

30 minutes ago, Floyd said:

The problem is.... if Little leaves after this year, who is the second line center?  It's nice to think maybe Roslovic can do it but we've barely seen him play in the NHL, let alone in a top-six role.  Maybe Petan/Copp/Lowry?  Any of those 3 would be a stretch.  And its tough for any team to attract a top-six center in free agency, even moreso for Winnipeg.  So what do you do?

54 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

ohh Darren Ford...lol

Lol indeed!

It's interesting... the guy's like a pariah  amongst NHLJets twitter folks now.  And I don't really get it.   People get jealous, I suppose. 

**** circa 2005 - 2010 give or take his site was my go-to for hockey news.  All I cared about was the return of the Jets.  I still remember watching the meter!  hahaha.

JetOMeter.jpg

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Lol indeed!

It's interesting... the guy's like a pariah  amongst NHLJets twitter folks now.  And I don't really get it.   People get jealous, I suppose. 

**** circa 2005 - 2010 give or take his site was my go-to for hockey news.  All I cared about was the return of the Jets.  I still remember watching the meter!  hahaha.

JetOMeter.jpg

Oh for sure.  its not unreasonable why so many dislike him.  I think he blocked me at one point (and Im pretty nice!) lol.  I talked to him many times.  The best thing he did was that website and he did a lot of work to keep the idea of the NHL return in one place.  It was big for media too...because he provided a lot of information and numbers so media and general public to get facts and reality instead of BS and lies.

I remember Geoff Currier (who I liked aside from his Jets thoughts) routinely saying people wont pay $150 a ticket 82 times a year.  1) not every ticket is $150.  And 2), you dont play 82 home games.  Ford had legitimate numbers showing reasonable ticket prices.

But he had nothing to do with the Jets returning.  And his attitude changed abruptly.  He was a very humble guy for a long time.  But became very arrogant.  Local celebrity status can do that.  My favorite example was he said he knew the name and colours and popped into his site to say it was Manitoba Polar Bears and powder blue jerseys.  He was going to some Jets event (before it was Jets) and thought they were going to announce.

So when he was wrong, he and his cohorts claimed he was joking.  He wasn't.

The worst thing was his vow to never commercialize his website.  Many us told him he should.  And we all begged him to make that site a "Jets Fan Forum".  Instead he sold out to the Free Press to become a Freep contributor and get media passes.  The site was terrible and died quickly.

I do see people ride him on twitter unprovoked.  But my experience was, he brought a lot of it on himself.  He DID change.

But man...the good old days of Jetsowner!!  How many of us were regulars there???  I WAS!

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Oh for sure.  its not unreasonable why so many dislike him.  I think he blocked me at one point (and Im pretty nice!) lol.  I talked to him many times.  The best thing he did was that website and he did a lot of work to keep the idea of the NHL return in one place.  It was big for media too...because he provided a lot of information and numbers so media and general public to get facts and reality instead of BS and lies.

I remember Geoff Currier (who I liked aside from his Jets thoughts) routinely saying people wont pay $150 a ticket 82 times a year.  1) not every ticket is $150.  And 2), you dont play 82 home games.  Ford had legitimate numbers showing reasonable ticket prices.

But he had nothing to do with the Jets returning.  And his attitude changed abruptly.  He was a very humble guy for a long time.  But became very arrogant.  Local celebrity status can do that.  My favorite example was he said he knew the name and colours and popped into his site to say it was Manitoba Polar Bears and powder blue jerseys.  He was going to some Jets event (before it was Jets) and thought they were going to announce.

So when he was wrong, he and his cohorts claimed he was joking.  He wasn't.

The worst thing was his vow to never commercialize his website.  Many us told him he should.  And we all begged him to make that site a "Jets Fan Forum".  Instead he sold out to the Free Press to become a Freep contributor and get media passes.  The site was terrible and died quickly.

I do see people ride him on twitter unprovoked.  But my experience was, he brought a lot of it on himself.  He DID change.

But man...the good old days of Jetsowner!!  How many of us were regulars there???  I WAS!

He had nothing to do with them actually returning, and neither did 99% of this city.  But I'd place some value in just getting that conversation started.  There was a romantic notion, maybe I bit too, that Winnipeg "deserved" the NHL.   That idea sells papers, but isn't grounded in reality.  No, we had/have an incredibly dedicated, community-driven owner who's put his - and where necessary - other's money on the line.  Much more than the few thousand I have since 2011.  

As far as the Polar Bears stuff...from what I recall, that's accurate.  We had a name and design done.  They re-thought it as the barrage of "Jets or bust" ideas were spread around town.  I'm fairly sure TNSE has admitted as much - the Jets was the name this city wanted, not what the ownership group wanted preferred.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Pop said:

He had nothing to do with them actually returning, and neither did 99% of this city.  But I'd place some value in just getting that conversation started.  There was a romantic notion, maybe I bit too, that Winnipeg "deserved" the NHL.   That idea sells papers, but isn't grounded in reality.  No, we had/have an incredibly dedicated, community-driven owner who's put his - and where necessary - other's money on the line.  Much more than the few thousand I have since 2011.  

As far as the Polar Bears stuff...from what I recall, that's accurate.  We had a name and design done.  They re-thought it as the barrage of "Jets or bust" ideas were spread around town.  I'm fairly sure TNSE has admitted as much - the Jets was the name this city wanted, not what the ownership group wanted preferred.

As I recall it was never Polar Bears.  Certainly Chipman didnt tell Ford that.  It was speculated based on Chipman's love of Bears.  I know the speculation was keeping Moose or something new and Bears was on the table.  I heard it was Bears but using a Polar Bear.  I also heard there was no design done.

One thing Ford did also, was create a supportive voice.  So when media did run those "can the NHL ever return" stories, it wasnt ALL doom and gloom.

20 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

As I recall it was never Polar Bears.  Certainly Chipman didnt tell Ford that.  It was speculated based on Chipman's love of Bears.  I know the speculation was keeping Moose or something new and Bears was on the table.  I heard it was Bears but using a Polar Bear.  I also heard there was no design done.

One thing Ford did also, was create a supportive voice.  So when media did run those "can the NHL ever return" stories, it wasnt ALL doom and gloom.

Bah... I'm sure I remember there being an actual design / plan / pitch done with the Polar Bear name.  BUT the closest I can find is that in 2011 staff in Churchill had 341 polar bear occurrences and dealt with 61 bears. 

Let's just call it even, and say I was right. ;)

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Bah... I'm sure I remember there being an actual design / plan / pitch done with the Polar Bear name.  BUT the closest I can find is that in 2011 staff in Churchill had 341 polar bear occurrences and dealt with 61 bears. 

"Burnt Orange" was also said to be a colour scheme.  Im sure I recall Chipman saying they had nothing in mind, nothing in the works when they bought the team.  But I could be wrong.

53 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Think about it though.  Why would they be meeting with bears so often if they weren't planning on using them in the name?

I think we are all pretty sure that Winnipeg Jets was not Chipmans first choice,  but we are getting off topic as for Little the more I look at this contract the more I like he is still relatively young and if healthy will play with some good line mates and put up some good numbers.

Edited by bustamente