Bombers vs Redblacks: Bomber Football Is Back Edition

USABomberfan

3 minutes ago, shadybob said:

We are going to be vulnerable against outside runs I think. Something I noticed in Corney's play this year is he tends to outrun the play and often times RBs run right past him. And Im not sold on our LBs outside of Leggett just yet. Maybe he's gotten better at this, and maybe Stantos-Knox has another strong game to help stop these kinds of runs, but so far I have not been impressed with Corney. Hope he proves me wrong tomorrow.

He's young and basically a pure pass rusher. Don't think we'll see much improvement on the run stopping side of things this year. 

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Flanders is such a gamer. All he's done since he's been here is making plays when given the opportunity. He was good last year when taking over for an injured Harris, but this year to start the season he couldn't get into the lineup I'm sure it was frustrating for him but instead of taking his ball and going home like another Bomber reciever he stayed patient and he's now a staple stone in the Blue Bomber offense. I love this. 

I'd like to see a little more consistency in his game.  He has made an impact in 3 out of the 7 games he has played in.... but in the other 4 he struggled to gain 2 or 3 yards per carry.  You could argue it's a lack of opportunity but if he is not producing then the coaches are not at fault.  A guy like Flanders isn't going to get 10 touches just to get going.  He needs to produce every time he touches the ball.  While I do like Flanders, the spotlight is now on him to perform because we let Thorpe go in order to keep him.  Earn that spot.

Just now, USABomberfan said:

I'm so ready for Friday to get here already.  Seems like it's been a month since the Bombers were on the field.  Time to hit that 9-3 record and secure a playoff spot.

...It feels like a negative week in Bombersland, with Westerman and Thorpe news.......we need something really positive, and it's a 9th win tomorrow night!

33 minutes ago, shadybob said:

We are going to be vulnerable against outside runs I think. Something I noticed in Corney's play this year is he tends to outrun the play and often times RBs run right past him. And Im not sold on our LBs outside of Leggett just yet. Maybe he's gotten better at this, and maybe Stantos-Knox has another strong game to help stop these kinds of runs, but so far I have not been impressed with Corney. Hope he proves me wrong tomorrow.

Actually I think quite the opposite. Santos-Knox is really good sideline to sideline..very fast to react and is good at scraping down the line and picking the right angle to cut off the outside stuff.  I'm actually looking forward to see if he can continue this and up his game with more starting reps, and getting used to different looks. I think he may just be our diamond in the rough on defense this year

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

Actually I think quite the opposite. Santos-Knox is really good sideline to sideline..very fast to react and is good at scraping down the line and picking the right angle to cut off the outside stuff.  I'm actually looking forward to see if he can continue this and up his game with more starting reps, and getting used to different looks. I think he may just be our diamond in the rough on defense this year

I agree completely on Stantos-Knox, I was more framing Corney as the issue on outside runs. But maybe if Stantos-Knox can keep it up, Corney can focus on the pass rush since I dont think hes great when the ball is run on his side of the field. Stantos-Knox has been great all year on special teams even before he got the start against sask

39 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Looks like Santos-Knox is starting which is great. And I've been a huge advocate of Poop all year and usually hate seeing him sit. But Ottawa is going to be run heavy tomorrow night. And Nevis clogs up the middle very very very well.

In the "in case you missed it" thread, the trade put forward by Hodge is A- crazy.  and B - based on Nevis not getting the "results". Which I think is garbage. Guy is a run stopper. The middle of the Dline has been difficult to run through all year except for 1 or 2 games. Nevis is a big reason for that.

people get hung up on the stats..  Nevis plays a role that doesn't cater much to stats beyond tackles.   he is a clogger, like you said.. a run stopper whom blocks the middle up and makes sure nobody is busting thru the gut often.   Hes not doing a bad job at all but because people don't hear his name much or see lofty tackle totals, he clearly is a bust.

:rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

people get hung up on the stats..  Nevis plays a role that doesn't cater much to stats beyond tackles.   he is a clogger, like you said.. a run stopper whom blocks the middle up and makes sure nobody is busting thru the gut often.   Hes not doing a bad job at all but because people don't hear his name much or see lofty tackle totals, he clearly is a bust.

:rolleyes:

Then explain why the DL as a whole looked so much better with Poop in and Nevis sitting? I should clarify, I am not saying Nevis a bust, just that if we have to choose between the two, Poop does more good things for the line. 

Edited by 17to85

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

the whole "starting" thing really doesn't matter that much because there's going to be such a distribution of reps throughout the game....all those guys are going to see a lot of time.

It's literally relevant for only the first play of the game.

But having 17to 85 shout me down for the next 48 hours didn't really make it seem worth pointing that out.

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Then explain why the DL as a whole looked so much better with Poop in and Nevis sitting? 

Cuz Johnson is better then Nevis?  Doesn't mean Nevis is some piece of crap lineman...

not sure what you're trying to convey here.   Johnson and Nevis would be ideal.   Thomas and Johnson second best option with Thomas and Nevis pretty good third.   Johnson just has more skill at getting at the QB then Nevis does but both play the run exceptionally well.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I'd like to see a little more consistency in his game.  He has made an impact in 3 out of the 7 games he has played in.... but in the other 4 he struggled to gain 2 or 3 yards per carry.  You could argue it's a lack of opportunity but if he is not producing then the coaches are not at fault.  A guy like Flanders isn't going to get 10 touches just to get going.  He needs to produce every time he touches the ball.  While I do like Flanders, the spotlight is now on him to perform because we let Thorpe go in order to keep him.  Earn that spot.

Consistency? He's averaging 5.7 yards per carry with only a long of 18 so it's not like he had a big run and his average is inflated. He also averages just under 11 yards out of the back field which is great for a running back. Again the guy is just a play maker and as much as there wasn't really room for him he earned his touches. 

40 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Consistency? He's averaging 5.7 yards per carry with only a long of 18 so it's not like he had a big run and his average is inflated. He also averages just under 11 yards out of the back field which is great for a running back. Again the guy is just a play maker and as much as there wasn't really room for him he earned his touches. 

Flanders also earned his role by sitting patiently for a year waiting for his opportunity to perform.

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

It's literally relevant for only the first play of the game.

But having 17to 85 shout me down for the next 48 hours didn't really make it seem worth pointing that out.

After nearly 20 years, I've found it's best to smile and nod until he finds something else to catch his ire....

41 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

You're right he's perfect

53 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Cuz Johnson is better then Nevis?  Doesn't mean Nevis is some piece of crap lineman...

not sure what you're trying to convey here.   Johnson and Nevis would be ideal.   Thomas and Johnson second best option with Thomas and Nevis pretty good third.   Johnson just has more skill at getting at the QB then Nevis does but both play the run exceptionally well.

I still think that Nevis is not the same player he was when he was in Hamilton where he did get in on pursuit of the QB.  Maybe you can blame "system" or the fact he's no longer playing beside Ted Laurent but I think there has been some drop off in his abilities due to weight gain and conditioning.

3 hours ago, Dr. Blue said:

my guess is that the reserve will be Foketi and Poop.

There's no way they can scratch Poop... our d-line pressure was almost non-existent when he was out of the lineup... and magically reappeared when he was put back in... IMO, Poop is our best all-around D-lineman...

30 minutes ago, bearpants said:

There's no way they can scratch Poop... our d-line pressure was almost non-existent when he was out of the lineup... and magically reappeared when he was put back in... IMO, Poop is our best all-around D-lineman...

I don't think they should, but I'll be surprised if it isn't Poop & Foketi scratched tomorrow night.