2016 re-draft

Floyd

17 hours ago, SPuDS said:

ya we gave up our 1st for waggonner..  wonder what that 1st was supposed to be.

yeah exactly... would've been the 2nd overall pick...  sure in hindsight, if we had skipped on Wagonner and taken Singleton at #2, we'd be better off... but you could say that about 100s of picks over the years...

but @tracker's comment that we were not on the ball still doesn't make any sense... maybe Sask, Tor, Hammy, Mtl, and BC are kicking themselves for passing him up though (probably not BC)...

32 minutes ago, bearpants said:

yeah exactly... would've been the 2nd overall pick...  sure in hindsight, if we had skipped on Wagonner and taken Singleton at #2, we'd be better off... but you could say that about 100s of picks over the years...

but @tracker's comment that we were not on the ball still doesn't make any sense... maybe Sask, Tor, Hammy, Mtl, and BC are kicking themselves for passing him up though (probably not BC)...

If Walters is going to continue trying to run a team without a psychic on staff, he must be held accountable!

On 2017-09-20 at 2:58 PM, blue_gold_84 said:

Funny how flatbillies dump on Walters for drafting Ekakitie but overlook the bust in their own backyard at Jonestown Manor.

Fair enough, but much like Waggoner,  Ekakitie doesn't look like a good pick. Waggoner never should've been picked either, I said for years that he was the next Shomari Williams and that ended up being generous. We need to do better with our high picks.

Most people here were against the Ekakitie pick. 

Edited by Blueandgold

For those who have gotten their silky underthings all bunched up over my comment about Singleton, chill. I wasn't pillorying Walters and Co. for missing an obviously great player, I was bewailing that the Bombers didn't get him. Any draft is a crap shoot, and we will get bonuses we didn't expect (Loffler) to be as good as they were, and absolute flops- and that list is big. Maintain your cools, folks.

45 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Fair enough, but much like Waggoner,  Ekakitie doesn't look like a good pick. Waggoner never should've been picked either, I said for years that he was the next Shomari Williams and that ended up being generous. We need to do better with our high picks.

You're already writing off Ekakitie...? That's awfully premature. I also don't recall most people being against drafting him, either.

The CFL Draft is a roll of the dice at the best of times, anyway. Walters has done a good job drafting. Not great, but good, and the results are in plain sight.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You're already writing off Ekakitie...? That's awfully premature. I also don't recall most people being against drafting him, either.

The CFL Draft is a roll of the dice at the best of times, anyway. Walters has done a good job drafting. Not great, but good, and the results are in plain sight.

Yup. I didn't like the pick to begin with, and his upside was limited. The best part about him was that he was supposed to be CFL ready. Well he's not good enough to get on the field. 

He won't do any better than Waggoner did for us. 

2 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Yup. I didn't like the pick to begin with, and his upside was limited. The best part about him was that he was supposed to be CFL ready. Well he's not good enough to get on the field. 

Might as well just write off the entire first round of this year's draft class based on such poorly flawed logic.

8 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

He was the most 'pro ready' .. still doesn't mean he's going to step in and make an impact right away, especially when he's playing behind guys like Nevis, Johnson and Thomas (who is having a very solid year).  Also, with our NI depth we have the luxury of allowing him to develop and get familiar with the Canadian game .. to acclimatize to the demands of our faster style of play .. why are people so quick to label Ekakitie a bust? He's played well enough in spot duty.

1 minute ago, voodoochylde said:

He was the most 'pro ready' .. still doesn't mean he's going to step in and make an impact right away, especially when he's playing behind guys like Nevis, Johnson and Thomas (who is having a very solid year).  Also, with our NI depth we have the luxury of allowing him to develop and get familiar with the Canadian game .. to acclimatize to the demands of our faster style of play .. why are people so quick to label Ekakitie a bust? He's played well enough in spot duty.

Played well enough? The guy hasn't made a tackle, is usually a healthy scratch and doesn't see the field even if he plays. Quite frankly, I'd be thrilled if he ever became a Jake Thomas but that's not going to happen. 

Just now, voodoochylde said:

He's a defensive tackle who has played limited snaps .. 'stats' don't always tell the whole story.

No they don't, but in this case they do. He's had zero impact, for the few plays he's actually been on the field.

This is a team that starts Sam Hurl, if he had the ability to rotate in and make a contribution I promise you that he would. Especially given our current predicament  with an injured Westerman. 

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

My reaction when a fan on a forum claims to know more than the general manager of a pro football team:

Image result for massive eye roll gif

You're right, there's no point in even discussing these things. Why have a fan forum? The GM knows everything and there's nothing to discuss, right? I mean Garrett Waggoner was a great draft pick.

Not every move a GM Or HC makes is going to be perfect. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that, if you take off your blue and gold goggles you'll realize that. 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

Ya I think every team could have used a Singleton.  He really blew expectations away me thinks.   He wasn't predicted to be this much of an impact player, if I recall correctly.    I agree though, we didn't look at Singleton because we had eyes already on Wagonner.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

No kidding 5 teams also passed on Singleton.. It's not like he was the clear number one. 

nope, he was definitely the big surprise out of the first round.  did anyone see this?

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

no, most people were not against the pick.. they would have rathered an O-lineman or receiver for some reason but people did see it was a spot we needed to get some depth at.

26 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

right?  I can't believe he wants to call him a bust already, thats ridiculous.  theres no way to say hes a bust yet.   How often do draft picks step in and be stars?  Not very often. 

18 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Might as well just write off the entire first round of this year's draft class based on such poorly flawed logic.

exactly.

Just now, Blueandgold said:

You're right, there's no point in even discussing these things. Why have a fan forum? The GM knows everything and there's nothing to discuss, right? I mean Garrett Waggoner was a great draft pick.

Not every move a GM Or HC makes is going to be perfect. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that, if you take off your blue and gold goggles you'll realize that. 

because Walters could have foreseen that he was going to retire early, right.   smfh.

No they don't, but in this case they do. He's had zero impact, for the few plays he's actually been on the field.

This is a team that starts Sam Hurl, if he had the ability to rotate in and make a contribution I promise you that he would. Especially given our current predicament  with an injured Westerman. 

Out of curiousity, what would you consider impactful?  What contribution would you expect a first year player to make who plays behind an established veteran and two fairly dominant imports?

Him retiring had nothing to do with it. He was a bad pick from the start, and he wasn't a good player.

I beg to differ.  he didn't look out of place when he was in at safety or wil.   he wasn't elite but he wasn't a bad player or pick.

Well, the difference is Waggoner was a supplemental pick and then retired after two seasons. Putting Ekakitie in the same category after less than a season is poor form on your part and demonstrates a glaring lack of understanding or patience.

And you're right: no GM or his moves are perfect. I pretty much said that already in a reply you quoted but basically ignored, and then went on with your "he's a bust" narrative while repeatedly comparing him to Waggoner, albeit erroneously. And then you resort to the tired and inaccurate "blue and gold goggles" comment, which shows you lack the ability to have a rational discussion about any of this. All you keep doing is making false claims and deflecting, when others here have already refuted what you've said in a rational and objective way.

3 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Him retiring had nothing to do with it. He was a bad pick from the start, and he wasn't a good player. He was a bust regardless of his decision to retire.

This entire statement is a complete and total load of crap.