Bombers Release Thorpe

Booch

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

The frustrating thing for me is that Thorpe is the best rookie receiver, by a mile, this regime has brought aboard in 4 years and they let him walk.

Agreed. But at this point in time, there doesn't appear to be a spot for him on the active roster. Unfortunate development, to be sure. That's how the business goes sometimes.

I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't make some moves to get better down the stretch. Every teams making them except us. We've been lucky to avoid injuries but we'll need that extra push. Especially with Westerman and his salary off the salary cap there's no excuses. I'm disappointed we lost Thorpe but I understand why he did what he did in this situation. 

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't make some moves to get better down the stretch. Every teams making them except us. We've been lucky to avoid injuries but we'll need that extra push. Especially with Westerman and his salary off the salary cap there's no excuses. I'm disappointed we lost Thorpe but I understand why he did what he did in this situation. 

Poop happens (bad joke, but true), but we do need help in a couple-three positions, and if we want to challenge the Stamps, they do need to be addressed.

33 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Agreed. But at this point in time, there doesn't appear to be a spot for him on the active roster. Unfortunate development, to be sure. That's how the business goes sometimes.

I don't know why you couldn't put him on the roster and take off Foketi.  He wouldn't be playing but at least he would be getting a pay cheque.  Then again, it may turn out to be hugely beneficial to keep Foketi around if we lose any of our 3 import Americans this off-season.  It is tough to manage a roster, I do not deny that.  But I do see options.

44 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I have to think this is referring to Khalil Bass. Why would the Bombers want to bring in a former and disgruntled player who would likely wind up in the same situation here as the team from which he just requested his release?

There's nothing at the moment indicating Thorpe couldn't be back for TC in 2018.

Not so much, it seems to reflect their attitude towards other former players such as McDuffie, Muamba and Johnny Sears as well.  They tend to find replacements and reward them by sticking with them.  If Thorpe quit on the team, he's not much different than Bass quitting Ottawa.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Not so much, it seems to reflect their attitude towards other former players such as McDuffie, Muamba and Johnny Sears as well.  They tend to find replacements and reward them by sticking with them.  If Thorpe quit on the team, he's not much different than Bass quitting Ottawa.

Thanks for the clarification. Both McDuffie and Muamba wanted money - a lot of it. The latter also had to go on his "CFL Return Tour" in an attempt to drum up interest. Sears couldn't stay healthy. Muamba aside, the team found suitable replacements.

I do see the Thorpe release being similar to what happened with Bass, save for the fact the latter was a more proven player. Neither player should put himself ahead of his respective team, though.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

What moves has Calgary made and for the most part the other teams are making moves because of injuries.    I don't understand the need to make moves just for the sake of making moves.

7 hours ago, Rich said:

Would he have asked for his release not wanting to be on the PR?

This would seem most likely.

BTW, I don't hate Ryan Lankford or nothing, but I really thought TJ Thorpe had a lot more upside than him.  I always feel like you can never be too deep at WR considering Dressler has been injured twice now during seasons with us.

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It would be nice if Thorpe came back for T.C. next year and gave it another go but it seems the Bombers are not inclined to give ex-players a second shot.

So cutting Clarence Denmark, letting him go to SSK and then bringing him back doesn't fit that thing?