Bombers Release Thorpe

Booch

28 minutes ago, mbrg said:

This may be?  As in you are still pretending to be undecided or in any way neutral on OShea?

Hokey dokey Pokey.

You are assuming what you choose to assume. When O'Shea was hired, I had my reservations- a team in chaos plus a new GM plus an unproven head coach equaled years of struggle, and it has proven to be so. O'Shea has made rookie head coach decisions, many of which have been documented here and made a difficult job even harder.  I have said that O'Shea was a great player and a good guy, but that does not exempt him from mistakes or brain cramps. Dave Ritchie was a helluva coach but also had his flaws. Similarly, everyone raved about what kind of upstanding person Jeff Reinbold was/is but here he is looking for work again.  I have always been in favour of more home-grown coaches and GMs, so you may have set a record for the standing conclusion leap.

As disappointed as I am to lose Thorpe, I'm somewhat disappointed in Thorpe himself in his decision making. I'm pretty sure they talked over a career path for him and a way to see himself starting in the lineup. Perhaps this is a reflection on why he no longer is a Bomber. A different outlook on where he stands as opposed to how well he was doing. 

12 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

We may never know, but it would be cool to hear Lapo's thoughts on Thorpe leaving.  I also thought he fit our offense perfectly.  The considerations for Lankford on kick returns (which some of us don't necessarily agree with) kept Thorpe off the gameday roster, and forced Lapo to play the inferior receiver.

Flanders has become the fifth receiver. Lankford may get between 5-10 snaps a game. 

18 minutes ago, tracker said:

You are assuming what you choose to assume.

No, I've just read your posts.

It's fine, you are not required to like him.  You can continue to shoehorn that into every thread; it's your opinion and you can have it.  If I've ever offered a counter to that, it sure hasn't been recently.  What would the point be?

I was only pointing out that at this point it's a little too late to portray yourself as lady justice with a set of scales, carefully weighing all things OShea-ian with a blindfold of objectivity over your eyes.  I'm still all for team Tracker.

17 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

As disappointed as I am to lose Thorpe, I'm somewhat disappointed in Thorpe himself in his decision making. I'm pretty sure they talked over a career path for him and a way to see himself starting in the lineup. Perhaps this is a reflection on why he no longer is a Bomber. A different outlook on where he stands as opposed to how well he was doing. 

When it comes to a sport with short careers, non-guaranteed contracts, frequent injuries, and a league where a ratio makes Americans less valuable, I would be hard-pressed to tell a player who is two thousand miles away from home for 6 months, with outside pressures that are unknown to us and back to making practise roster money, that leaving the team is the wrong decision.

He will get picked up (because there are so many terrible teams this year) and get a job, make more money, feed his family, and ultimately be proven that he made the right decision.  Because he will have looked after himself and his own, in a sport where players are almost completely expendable.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

If there is one thing MOS prizes above all else, it's ones ability to be a good teammate. I don't imagine he tolerates whiners well. Also probably a big reason he's not interested in Bass, who walked out on Ottawa.

I'm more concerned with MOS's apparent propensity to make enemies of good players that are trying to legitimately crack this lineup by laying it all on the line and then being spurned due to a philosophy of loyalty over ability. I too value loyalty but not over an upgrade in talent. Guess that's one reason why I'm not the coach. ?

O'Shea was on the radio this afternoon (around 4:30ish) and from his tone of voice and what little he said.... seems like Thorpe was not being a team player and that their was no room on the team for guys like him.   His tone was much different then what he usually is like with guys that have left or have been removed from the team before.   

O'Shea did not sound like he was happy with Thorpe.    

Edited by Brandon

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

O'Shea was on the radio this afternoon (around 4:30ish) and from his tone of voice and what little he said.... seems like Thorpe was not being a team player and that their was no room on the team for guys like him.   His tone was much different then what he usually is like with guys that have left or have been removed from the team before.   

Thorpe must have pulled a TJ Harris....

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Yes, I guess Thorpe in unique in tha regard..

Im usually of the mindset that receivers are a dime a dozen as well, but Thorpe is a type of receiver that the club does not usually have.  I hope this move doesn't bite them in the ass.  It's nice to have a good variety of weapons in your arsenal. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I can imagine they kept him around rehabbing for soo long if that was the case. But any thing is possible i guess. 

9 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

samu.gif

IF the guy is another Nic Grigsby or TJ Harris, and it appears to be looking that way based on Osh's comments, then his attitude will be his undoing. There is no questioning his talent, but he will have to get it between the ears before he will be a successful long term professional.  I am glad we moved him out if that's the case.

14 hours ago, J5V said:

I'm more concerned with MOS's apparent propensity to make enemies of good players that are trying to legitimately crack this lineup by laying it all on the line and then being spurned due to a philosophy of loyalty over ability.

Could you provide a list of guys you think have O'Shea on their enemy list due to your above scenario?