Bombers Release Thorpe

Booch

4 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

$500/wk = more or less $2000/mo 

less tax, less food, less lodging, consider the exchange - so what's left?

The minimum PR salary is $750 per week plus housing or a housing allowance according to the CBA.

The Bombers also provide 3 meals a day to players according to a Global story about the IGF chefs.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

PR sucks but a lot of guys make it work and don't quit on the team. If MOS is who I think he is, Thorpe is done in Wpg for good. 

You're probably right and that's somewhat disconcerting to me.

Edited by J5V

3 hours ago, Tehedra said:

How is that not enough, that's 3000 a month and hundreds of thousands of Canadians live off of that every month and their housing is not included nor food. So I say bullshit he can't live off of a PR salary.

Sure he could but why should anyone accept less than they are worth?  I can't blame a guy for trying to do what is best for him and his family.  Why not?  Loyalty?  The guy played great for 5 games then lost his spot when he fumbled once.  There is no loyalty on either side.  Water under the bridge, bring him back and let the man play.

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

He quit on the team. So screw him. 

10 hours ago, Mike said:

Personally, I feel like this doesn't apply to guys who are making $500 a week.

who are we to criticize a guy's decision to not continue making a near poverty wage in hopes of finding something better?

I agree with both these statements.

Bottom line is he handled this the wrong way.  Poorly.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

He being Thorpe? If so, wrong in what sense?

"Hey coach, can I have a word?  First, thanks for giving me this great opportunity with the Bombers.  I'm loving my team, loving the fans, loving the city.  It wasn't that long ago I didn't know where Winnipeg was.  This is an incredible experience.  Now I just want to be honest with you, I'm getting concerned about my role with the team.  I know I have to work my way up the totem, that's the way it is for everyone, but I also know the window of opportunity for most guys is small.  Maybe a few years at most.  I had hoped I'd shown enough during the games I played to not have to go back to the practise roster.  To spend six months away from home for not much money isn't what any of us want, but we do it to get that shot at a real job.  And I hope we can agree that I stepped up.  I guess what I'm asking is if there is a possibility you could put me on the 1 game IR for a bit so I can get some game cheques?  I feel like I've proven my value here.  I want to be a team guy, but I also want to look after my family.  Anyways, thanks for giving me some of your time.  If you want to think about it for a while, I'm cool with that."

2 hours ago, mbrg said:

It could be argued the sky is green and water is dry.

Also known as Tburging.

Hardly. Tburg is impossible to imitate or duplicate. He's one of a kind. :D

Some old farmer math and figuring.

There are more than 4 weeks in a monthso so-$750 x 52 weeks =39,0000/year ÷12=$3250/month 

Housing or allowance $750,(?) +$3250=4000 /month or an equal of 48,000/year

For being on the practice roster (not quite cracking a pro lineup) that is not all that bad while pursuing  your dream job.