Bombers Release Thorpe

Booch

22 minutes ago, the watcher said:

Some old farmer math and figuring.

There are more than 4 weeks in a monthso so-$750 x 52 weeks =39,0000/year ÷12=$3250/month 

Housing or allowance $750,(?) +$3250=4000 /month or an equal of 48,000/year

For being on the practice roster (not quite cracking a pro lineup) that is not all that bad while pursuing  your dream job.

They get 18 cheques.  One per game week.  Practice roster starts week 1 and ends once team is out of playoffs.  18x750 would be salary plus some allowances, so around $15,000 if someone spent the whole year on the PR.

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They get 18 cheques.  One per game week.  Practice roster starts week 1 and ends once team is out of playoffs.  18x750 would be salary plus some allowances, so around $15,000 if someone spent the whole year on the PR.

Send half of that back home to the family in the states, they'd get just under $6000 USD in return for having their son/husband/father/nightmanageratarby's gone for 6 months.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

But while they are here that is what they are making and I never included food.Do they get paid during the 2 bye Weeks? If so then it's 20 weeks+housing +food.If you are on a practice roster in the CFL you will need an off season job.The CFL is not a league rolling in $ .Gate $ is a more important figure than the NFL.The more players make,the more we are charged for tickets.Ive done alot more for alot less at times just for the love of it.Thorpe wanted off,the Bombers said OK.There are hundreds more willing to do it.

48 minutes ago, tracker said:

I'm really hoping that Wolitarski will find his way onto the starting lineup at Lankford's expense. Lankford has had his moments but not enough (IMO) to make him irreplaceable and that would be a way to get another Import onto the roster.

Yes Fogg and Flanders can easily handle both KO and punt returns.

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just gets paid during football season so there goes that theory as you state. 

Is it still the case that teams have the right to pay PR guys the same as if they were on the roster? Used to happen a whole lot. Not sure how it works or if it does at all with the cap. 

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I wasn't aware Thorpe is the only player getting paid like this....  I wonder how all the other people on our team and across the league on the PR survived over the years...

And unlike a lot of PR players, he actually got to cash a few game cheques (and probably would've been cashing more) this season  so it's not like he was making the bare minimum.

He's now making zero so PR vs active roster money is moot at this point.

Agreed I think the PR money thing is a red hearing; it is not as bad as people seem to think it is.  I mean, salaries in the states also are not super high.  I do not know his educational background, but in all intents and purposes he makes more money on the CFL PR than the average Canadian makes at their regular job.  So although it isn't NFL dollars nor is it going to make anyone rich.  It isn't the poor, almost living on the streets type of cash either.  I mean we also state that they have a family to support at home, but it seems to me most of them are in their lower 20s with no families to support, just starting out on their own.  I would bet the average 20 to 27 year old Canadian makes even less than the average Canadian so I mean, really.... to me the decision was more he didn't like his roll of not being on the active roster and felt he deserved to be and thus he would have more opportunities with another team if he was not on the PR at all to allow any team to negotiate with him and allow them to know he is a free agent that is interested in being on the active roster. 

Perhaps he has a family business or something back home that pays well that he wanted to attend to which is also the case; being off the PR would allow him to do that and just wait for a phone call if an injury or something happens.  We just don't really know.

16 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

$750 per week significantly less than the average weekly wage in Canada, which is actually pretty close to $1000.  

https://careers.workopolis.com/advice/how-much-money-are-we-earning-the-average-canadian-wages-right-now/

I don't blame a player of Thorpe's calibre for feeling he could earn more elsewhere.

Neither do I. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

can pay whatever you want...just has to be at least 750/week

does that count against the cap? If you pay over the 750.

38 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

$750 per week significantly less than the average weekly wage in Canada, which is actually pretty close to $1000.  

https://careers.workopolis.com/advice/how-much-money-are-we-earning-the-average-canadian-wages-right-now/

I don't blame a player of Thorpe's calibre for feeling he could earn more elsewhere.

average pay isnt a good tool though. Id bet more then a weeks pay far more then half the population makes far less then that average. 

I would like to see more money for Pr guys though. And for players in general. The sub star to lower tier stars (randell. mo etc) dont make nearly enough for the toll taken on their bodies for playing. 

44 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Average Canadian wage does not include food.  Players get feed as I understand it.  Hey if he thinks that he's too good to sit on the practice roster and leaves, more power to him, I guess.  Me first guys don't tend to last long, but hey, life is choice.

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

does that count against the cap? If you pay over the 750.

average pay isnt a good tool though. Id bet more then a weeks pay far more then half the population makes far less then that average. 

I would like to see more money for Pr guys though. And for players in general. The sub star to lower tier stars (randell. mo etc) dont make nearly enough for the toll taken on their bodies for playing. 

You'd win that bet:  median individual income is just $27,600

13 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Average Canadian wage does not include food.  Players get feed as I understand it.  Hey if he thinks that he's too good to sit on the practice roster and leaves, more power to him, I guess.  Me first guys don't tend to last long, but hey, life is choice.

Yes, but in my opinion that is off-set by the fact that they're paid in Canadian $$.

34 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The gap between the median and average is sad. And so is the amount of people under 20k. 

35 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Yes, but in my opinion that is off-set by the fact that they're paid in Canadian $$.

Iirc players get a housing stipend, or housing food etc. Its not the life one would associate with a pro athlete. But its not some one working 3 part time min wage jobs trying to make ends meat. I would like to see them make more, I think we all would. The dollar conversion is tough too. Paying out in USD could cause serious trouble in tough times. And bumping pay with out increasing league revenue could be just as dangerous. Really have to hope for the league to grow. Realistically, a strong turn around for the argos franchise would go a long long ways in the next TV deal. Which will be a big difference maker.

The story of guys from AFL/AFL2 especially from the PR down there (back in the day) is scary.  Living off next to nothing, PB sandwiches, full time work borrowing money to go to try outs and open camps.  

Good grief. These are professional athletes and entertainers we are talking about. They are always one play away from having their careers terminated by a devastating injury. We are fortunate to get to enjoy watching them display their skills and they absolutely deserve to be paid accordingly. I thought Thorpe definitely showed enough to have earned a starting role on this team. I was dumbfounded that our management group didn't agree and I am extremely disappointed that the decision to sit Thorpe has cost us the services of a promising young athlete. I wish him all the best and look forward to watching him play somewhere. Damned shame it isn't here. 

8 hours ago, J5V said:

Good grief. These are professional athletes and entertainers we are talking about. They are always one play away from having their careers terminated by a devastating injury. We are fortunate to get to enjoy watching them display their skills and they absolutely deserve to be paid accordingly. I thought Thorpe definitely showed enough to have earned a starting role on this team. I was dumbfounded that our management group didn't agree and I am extremely disappointed that the decision to sit Thorpe has cost us the services of a promising young athlete. I wish him all the best and look forward to watching him play somewhere. Damned shame it isn't here. 

I agree in general, but we do not know if Thorpe's ego was bigger than his commitment to the team's success. If it was only a matter of money, I'm sure that could have been worked out somehow.

These guys come out of college where they aren't likely supporting a family and are probably living away from home with no pay.   Playing CFL isn't much different lifestyle wise.  

Comparing their lot to the NFL isn't  realistic.    If they aren't willing to put in 1-2 years in their early 20's to chase their dream, that's there choice.   It's no different for guys in AA baseball with the Goldeyes, or for many recent college grads who travel and work odd jobs while doing so for the life experience   

IMHO Thorpe made a bad choice in giving up too early., but that's his choice.