Bombers Release Thorpe

Booch

2 hours ago, Jaxon said:

These guys come out of college where they aren't likely supporting a family and are probably living away from home with no pay.   Playing CFL isn't much different lifestyle wise.  

Comparing their lot to the NFL isn't  realistic.    If they aren't willing to put in 1-2 years in their early 20's to chase their dream, that's there choice.   It's no different for guys in AA baseball with the Goldeyes, or for many recent college grads who travel and work odd jobs while doing so for the life experience   

IMHO Thorpe made a bad choice in giving up too early., but that's his choice. 

ehh prospects of reasonable value get pretty big signing bonuses these days. the top 100 prospects at or below AA all out earn a big number of current NHLers. But when you look at the guys who arent in that tier, the ones like the young cflers trying to make a go of it its a great comparison. 

The lions tried to claim spooner. He would have started, and got that starters money. A real chance to be a now guy. But he passed on it to stay here and continue to develop. Thorpe left, taking no pay and no spot else where instead of sitting on the PR. With his play he deserved to be on the roster. But some times that just isnt enough. If he quits for ego, he isnt the type of guy a team needs around.  We wont ever know the real case. Heavens knows weve made curious and head scratching talent decisions before and will continue too.  I hope all goes well for thorpe, so long as it doesnt hurt the blue. 

First, part of the measure of a great coach is to take a guy with a bit of ego and bring him around to being a better team player. 

Second, we don't even know if this is the case with Thorpe, but here half of you guys are judging him without even knowing what happened. 

Third, who's to say the ego problem, if that's what this is,  doesn't belong to a coach?! 

Either way, there are egos everywhere. The trick is to work with them. If we started getting rid of every guy with an ego we'd lose half the players and nearly all the coaches!

22 hours ago, BigBlue said:

MOS & Company seem to have a philosophy that rules their decision making and that supercedes player judgment ... I hope I am wrong on that but I suspect it explains too much .... would like to see them more pragmatic

I think their philosophy on this one was...thorpe asked for his release so they said ok. They didnt cut him.. He aSked to be let go so there you go being wrong once again about their philosophy. Their philosophy sounds like... If you dont want to be here.. Thats fine. And we move on. Done and Done really. 

Edited by Goalie

So Thorpe has gone. Here's my theory on why he asked to be released. TJ jumped Mike O'Shea in the locker room. Mike flipped him then gave him a kick to the neck and a chop to the temple. Then a large number of Bombers biggest baddest players stood behind MOS and MOS declares to Thorpe, "so punk, how many players support me? Is it five, or six? " 

Edited by Rod Black

On 23/09/2017 at 2:15 PM, tracker said:

I'm really hoping that Wolitarski will find his way onto the starting lineup at Lankford's expense. Lankford has had his moments but not enough (IMO) to make him irreplaceable and that would be a way to get another Import onto the roster.

On 23/09/2017 at 3:06 PM, Doublezero said:

Yes Fogg and Flanders can easily handle both KO and punt returns.

Lankford is the backup kicker, so they aren't taking him off the roster.

10 hours ago, Jaxon said:

These guys come out of college where they aren't likely supporting a family and are probably living away from home with no pay.   Playing CFL isn't much different lifestyle wise.  

Comparing their lot to the NFL isn't  realistic.    If they aren't willing to put in 1-2 years in their early 20's to chase their dream, that's there choice.   It's no different for guys in AA baseball with the Goldeyes, or for many recent college grads who travel and work odd jobs while doing so for the life experience   

IMHO Thorpe made a bad choice in giving up too early., but that's his choice. 

Would it be inappropriate to say that it is not uncommon that they have several kids by the time they come to the CFL.....

Regardless making PR money with a good chance of getting on the roster is probably better then selling used cars back in the States....

5 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

Langford has looked more dangerous on punt returns than Fogg has.  I would even dare to say Langford is a better receiver than Fogg is a DB.  I'm not even a Langford fan.  I wanted Thorpe playing, but that was not going to happen with Langford in the line up.

lanKford.........does he even return punts? 

Sorry auto correct on my phone keeps wanting to put  Langford.  My bad, you are right KR.  My point being. Why take Lankford  out who has been productive and a threat on returns and on offence? With Dressler out Lankford is the only receiver with wheels on the sweep now that Dressler is out.  Has Fogg even come close to breaking through on a PR? Others have looked better back there.

Edited by Dirty30

19 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

Sorry auto correct on my phone keeps wanting to put  Langford.  My bad, you are right KR.  My point being. Why take Lankford  out who has been productive and a threat on returns and on offence? With Dressler out Lankford is the only receiver with wheels on the sweep now that Dressler is out.  Has Fogg even come close to breaking through on a PR? Others have looked better back there.

Fogg is way better on punts and more reliable too.  Lankford was an adventure.  Aside from a couple kickoffs early in the season where he got a clean up the sideline he hasn't broken any big ones in months.  

To me it's a big waste of an import spot.  Sure he's fast, he's the only receiver we've had in the last two seasons who hasn't been able to get into sync with Nichols.  Where's Thomas Mayo?    I'd argue we need a possession receiver like Thorpe or Mayo in this offence far more than a guy who runs fast in a straight line and can't do much else effectively at this level like Lankford or McDuffie.

Could also be using that import spot on D.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Pop said:

So for those that feel PR players are drastically underpaid;  how much more would you be willing to spend on tickets to games?   We're still a gate-driven league, no?   You want higher salaries, fine, but someone's got to pay for it.  

We're talking peanuts.  Like $30,000-$35,000 per team would give the PR guys $1000 a week as a minimum.

being the best player at a position, between two players is not the only thing that goes into who plays and who doesn't for this coach.

also, putting together a team from the group of players that's available to the coaching staff is a very complicated puzzle.

I'm sure these coachs could write a book on the subject.

and no doubt they've made mistakes which they would readily admit. at least O'Shea would.

it's nice to see the O lineman all the way down the field congratulating ball carriers on a good play. See that all the time with this team.

Edited by Mark F

On 9/23/2017 at 11:58 AM, mbrg said:

"Hey coach, can I have a word?  First, thanks for giving me this great opportunity with the Bombers.  I'm loving my team, loving the fans, loving the city.  It wasn't that long ago I didn't know where Winnipeg was.  This is an incredible experience.  Now I just want to be honest with you, I'm getting concerned about my role with the team.  I know I have to work my way up the totem, that's the way it is for everyone, but I also know the window of opportunity for most guys is small.  Maybe a few years at most.  I had hoped I'd shown enough during the games I played to not have to go back to the practise roster.  To spend six months away from home for not much money isn't what any of us want, but we do it to get that shot at a real job.  And I hope we can agree that I stepped up.  I guess what I'm asking is if there is a possibility you could put me on the 1 game IR for a bit so I can get some game cheques?  I feel like I've proven my value here.  I want to be a team guy, but I also want to look after my family.  Anyways, thanks for giving me some of your time.  If you want to think about it for a while, I'm cool with that."

Great scoop... how did you get Thorpe to admit this to you?!?

47 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

No I'm not. I'm saying none of us know.

No one knows, but there is also what is probable and what is less probable.  And it is extremely improbable that he would be making his full salary or anywhere close to it on the practise roster.

You will have to accept that the discussions on this message board will normally take place in the absence of complete knowledge.  Even when the league or club or player makes a statement on a subject, that does not guarantee it is entirely truthful or complete or free of subjectivity or bias or completely accidental oversight.

Personally, I will continue to be fine with having the bar set at thoughtful reasoning.