WFC to unveil Cal Murphy statue at IGF

blue_gold_84

https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/09/20/blue-bombers-unveil-cal-murphy-statue-investors-group-field/

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers will honour one of the most influential figures in the history of the organization, the late Cal Murphy, with the unveiling of a bronze statue in his likeness at Investors Group Field. 

The unveiling ceremony will take place tomorrow, September 21st, at 4:00 pm at the north-east side of the stadium (Gate 3). Fans and members of the media are invited to attend the unveiling.

WHO: The Honourable Cathy Cox, Minister of Sport, Culture & Heritage; His Worship Mayor Brian Bowman; Wade Miller, President & CEO of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers; Bob Irving, and Paul Robson. Brian Murphy will be speaking on behalf of the Murphy family who will be in attendance. 
WHEN: Thursday, September 21st at 4:00 pm 
WHERE: Outside of Gate 3 located at the north-east corner of Investors Group Field 

Love, love, love this. Can't wait to see it!

Kindly Cal was one of the best football men to ever grace these parts. Was an assistant under Hugh Campbell before coming here, I believe. The guy just won. Period. I was very disappointed the day the Bombers fired him - After that playoff debacle in Edmonton where the Eskimoes put screws in their cleats (it might not have mattered anyways). He took the blame with a pink slip. We have gone thru a lot of crappy coaches and GM's since then (have a good one in Walters now). We miss you Cal! Well done Bombers with this statue!!

Cal Murphy with the Grey Cup.

Like King Arthur and the Legend of the Sword, it takes a man as pure of heart and who loves the sport as much as Cal to raise Excalibur again in Winnipeg.  I believe that Mike O'Shea is that man.  RIP Cal.  I love you man.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

This really is excellent news and there are very few in the Winnipeg Football Club history worthy of this recognition... another man, of course, already has his statue....

I wonder if they play to eventually have 4 statues around the stadium...

That's what I was thinking. If they've got 4 players named for each entrance, do they do 4 coach statues?

2 hours ago, itchy said:

That's what I was thinking. If they've got 4 players named for each entrance, do they do 4 coach statues?

what other coaches in Bomber history rate a statue?  That fans would have heard of?  That won cups?  Mike Riley?  Reg Threlfall (I know, who??)  Bob Fritz?

Looking at the Bombers' storied history, there have only been five coaches in 87 years that have won cups with the Bombers.  We win em in bunches.

10 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

what other coaches in Bomber history rate a statue?  That fans would have heard of?  That won cups?  Mike Riley?  Reg Threlfall (I know, who??)  Bob Fritz?

Looking at the Bombers' storied history, there have only been five coaches in 87 years that have won cups with the Bombers.  We win em in bunches.

Mike Riley would be a good one.  And then O'Shea in a few years after a couple cups

23 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

We could have a "statue of shame".  Maybe a statue depicting Mike Kelly dragging that garbage bin of stuff to his car on the day he was fired, orJeff Reinebold sitting on his motorcycle, or a statue of Tim Burke looking real confused.

I'd prefer all three of them high-fiving with their signature facial expressions...