Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

2 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Remember when fanboys in BuffaLOL said the Sabres won that trade...? And that Kane just needed a change of scenery and people in Winnipeg were racist...? And that he'd get his act together and not be a distraction...?

Always wondered what Buff thought of that racism slag on Winnipeg...  it was so ridiculous especially considering his only other experience in the NHL was with Atlanta...

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Always wondered what Buff thought of that racism slag on Winnipeg...  it was so ridiculous especially considering his only other experience in the NHL was with Atlanta...

Evander Kane just had to play the race card; he had no real leg upon which to stand as far as his "treatment" here was concerned. 99% of the negative attention he received was self-inflicted due to his immaturity and prima donna me-first attitude. It was pathetic to see him try and create a narrative that simply didn't exist. Fans here didn't dump on him for the colour of his skin*; they dumped on him because he was a selfish, arrogant jerk.

* if there were people who dumped on for that, however, that's a different topic altogether (bigotry is everywhere, anyway)

Edited by blue_gold_84

Will the Golden Knights be forced to change their name?

https://www.bardown.com/golden-knights-respond-to-us-army-s-trademark-dispute-attempting-to-force-a-logo-name-change-1.965372

The Vegas Golden Knights have had the most successful inaugural season for an expansion team in NHL history, but their legacy could take a hit if the United States Army has their way.

As usual with anything relating to logos, SportsLogos.Net’s Chris Creamer was all over this one.

As another deadline approached, the Army made their intentions very clear with this trademark dispute. The dispute is in reference to the United States Army Parachute team. Some Golden Knights representatives have referenced the parachute team in the past, including once to TSN radio.

golden-knights.jpg

3 minutes ago, iHeart said:

GEE I WONDER WHY!

Amazing that no players from Winnipeg are on the top 20 trade bait

Why is it amazing? The Jets aren't sellers and they're sitting pretty at the top of the league. The only real exceptions on that list are Neal and Perron, but that's got more to do with their contract status than anything.

56 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Remember when fanboys in BuffaLOL said the Sabres won that trade...? And that Kane just needed a change of scenery and people in Winnipeg were racist...? And that he'd get his act together and not be a distraction...?

So just ask yourself this one - would the Jets right now trade Myers, Roslo, Lemieux, Armia and their draft pick for 2018 they got for Stafford for Kasdorf, Kane and Bogo?  

Image result for i don't think so home alone gif

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

At the time Kasdorf looked like a good pickup for Buf but he riding the pine now in ECHL.

Buffalo may not have the same development system as the Jets...  maybe Armia, Lemieux and Roslo don't pan out if they're still Sabres...

lots of young guys on their team don't seem to understand the concept of backchecking...

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Buffalo may not have the same development system as the Jets...  maybe Armia, Lemieux and Roslo don't pan out if they're still Sabres...

lots of young guys on their team don't seem to understand the concept of backchecking...

Phil Housley is in way over his head there.  They need a Darryl Sutter, Randy Carlyle type of guy who is not going to tolerate insolence.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Should have just called themselves the Las Vegas Planks.

My guess is it will take almost 80 years before someone comes up with a reason why this is insensitive to planks.

Kane did experience racism as Im sure all black players do.  One only need to look at the comments section of any major story about him.  Disgusting.

But I'd agree the general fans in Winnipeg did not dislike him because of race.  They disliked him because he's a jerk.  Everyone seems to like Buff just fine.

8 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Should have just called themselves the Las Vegas Planks.

My guess is it will take almost 80 years before someone comes up with a reason why this is insensitive to planks.

I suspect the Vegas team wins.  There is no reasonable confusion and they are in different businesses.  Maybe Vegas can make a donation to the Army and be done with it.

50 minutes ago, Floyd said:

too true.  I can see players like Connor (who I realize wasn't part of the trade, just naming him to make a point), Roslo, Lemieux and Armia all being wasted on a team like that.  Armia was definitely on a downward trajectory career-wise until we got him out of there and let him develop in a system where he felt wanted and had coaches who believed in him.  He's been quite the pleasant surprise.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

9 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

too true.  I can see players like Connor (who I realize wasn't part of the trade, just naming him to make a point), Roslo, Lemieux and Armia all being wasted on a team like that.  Armia was definitely on a downward trajectory career-wise until we got him out of there and let him develop in a system where he felt wanted and had coaches who believed in him.  He's been quite the pleasant surprise.

I'm all for bashing Buffalo but I don't think it's fair to say Armia was on a downward trajectory.  He was playing well in his second year in the AHL at the time of the trade.

Interesting comments from the Army's side: https://www.tsn.ca/vgk-responds-to-army-in-trademark-dispute-1.965398

Also in the notice of opposition is the Army's claim that it owns the "common rights" to the "black+gold/yellow+white" colour scheme that is similar to the one employed by Vegas.

"They make at very least a prima facie case that the marks and colours were intended to conjure imagery of the USMA which may be enough to get a trial court to side with the Army," he said. "This is by no means a frivolous case."

Edited by blue_gold_84
went full blown potato

4 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Should've just called them the Las Vegas Knights, which sounds smoother than Vegas Golden Knights, IMO.  Had they just kept it simple they would've avoided all this nonsense.

There were still complications with the 'Knights' name.  London owns the rights to it in Canada (OHL team) and although it could be used in the US, they could potentially face opposition from the University of Central Florida Knights.

Just now, Atomic said:

There were still complications with the 'Knights' name.  London owns the rights to it in Canada (OHL team) and although it could be used in the US, they could potentially face opposition from the University of Central Florida Knights.

Yeah, I completely forgot and then remembered that whole situation immediately after posting my comment. :lol:

In any event, this copyright nonsense as far as generic names go can be pretty ridiculous.

50 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Kane did experience racism as Im sure all black players do.  One only need to look at the comments section of any major story about him.  Disgusting.

But I'd agree the general fans in Winnipeg did not dislike him because of race.  They disliked him because he's a jerk.  Everyone seems to like Buff just fine.

Someone like Stegall would be the true test.  Universally beloved in this town.  Also in a sport that's predominately black.