Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Kane did experience racism as Im sure all black players do.  One only need to look at the comments section of any major story about him.  Disgusting.

If we were to compare real life to how people talk online...   It would be absolute chaos out on the streets. 

Winnipeg is such a diverse city with so many different people of different backgrounds,  I highly doubt he experienced racism issues.    I think it's more of a cop-out excuse to try to play victim rather then to accept accountability of being an *******.  

We hear so many stories (mainly about the Bombers) where guys come up from the South and absolutely love the city and the people.   I know from the few Bomber guys that I've spoken to over the years they love the people in Winnipeg. 

Just now, Brandon said:

If we were to compare real life to how people talk online...   It would be absolute chaos out on the streets. 

Winnipeg is such a diverse city with so many different people of different backgrounds,  I highly doubt he experienced racism issues.    I think it's more of a cop-out excuse to try to play victim rather then to accept accountability of being an *******.  

We hear so many stories (mainly about the Bombers) where guys come up from the South and absolutely love the city and the people.   I know from the few Bomber guys that I've spoken to over the years they love the people in Winnipeg. 

ya that comment about "look at the articles comments section" is kind of laughable.. people comment on those articles with the deliberate intention of pissing people off and causing people to get upset and anger.   you cannot read those comments and get a true gauge of how people feel or act towards someone. I highly doubt anyone walked up to him and told him to "go home *insert racial term here*" or anything of the like..  I also don't think anyone whom he crossed paths with in the restaurant or entertainment industries were overtly harsh towards him due to the colour of his skin... it would be due to the nature of his attitude and way he conveyed himself to people.

3 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

ya that comment about "look at the articles comments section" is kind of laughable.. people comment on those articles with the deliberate intention of pissing people off and causing people to get upset and anger.   you cannot read those comments and get a true gauge of how people feel or act towards someone. I highly doubt anyone walked up to him and told him to "go home *insert racial term here*" or anything of the like..  I also don't think anyone whom he crossed paths with in the restaurant or entertainment industries were overtly harsh towards him due to the colour of his skin... it would be due to the nature of his attitude and way he conveyed himself to people.

Sure.  And if it was me or people I cared about, it WOULD upset me the things people say.  Social media etc. 

Which doesnt mean black players dont have wonderful experiences here.   I dont like the guy but lets be reasonable.  Both can be true.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

I'm all for bashing Buffalo but I don't think it's fair to say Armia was on a downward trajectory.  He was playing well in his second year in the AHL at the time of the trade.

I was sure I read somewhere that he was having trouble fitting in with the Rochester team and was also not getting over the language barrier.  Of course my google search to prove that I am not going crazy revealed nothing.  Anyway, that's what I remember.  Good to see him doing well now, and I think the point was that with Buffalo, they seem to be a developmental grave yard.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I suspect the Vegas team wins.  There is no reasonable confusion and they are in different businesses.  Maybe Vegas can make a donation to the Army and be done with it.

Well the Army is there for every anthem. You know how they like to militarize it up.

Also the army technically is not a business so they are not losing money...but i digress.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

I'm all for bashing Buffalo...

22iyd5.jpg

2 hours ago, SPuDS said:

ya that comment about "look at the articles comments section" is kind of laughable.. people comment on those articles with the deliberate intention of pissing people off and causing people to get upset and anger.   you cannot read those comments and get a true gauge of how people feel or act towards someone. 

I think you can use it as a gauge. It’s like the comments people make after they’ve downed a few shots. They might not usually make those comments - but that doesn’t mean they don’t really feel that way.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

I think you can use it as a gauge. It’s like the comments people make after they’ve downed a few shots. They might not usually make those comments - but that doesn’t mean they don’t really feel that way.

Its easy to say Whatever you want behind assumed identities. No doubt there are some legit dbags in this world and no doubt most can be found commenting online. 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

@SPuDS these guys are all talking **** about you

lol thanks.    It is indeed odd I'm brought up when i'm not really even in the conversation... cool to be living rent free in someone's head I suppose.

19 hours ago, Brandon said:

People get to hide behind keyboards these days.  It wasn't that long ago they hid their identities under white hoods.  I don't understand why people think they way they behave on the internet doesn't count.  It counts.  If you are mean on the internet, you are a mean person.  Not a funny person.   A mean person.  If you are racist on the internet, you are a racist person.  Not a funny person.

Kane might be immature, a lousy teammate, and a half dozen other things that I hold in low regard.  To say that he didn't experience racism just because he isn't likeable is a total cop-out.

Winnipeg is a diverse city with many different people of different backgrounds.  And most of those different people of different backgrounds experience some racism every day.

What's very strange though is that I clearly remember the events surrounding Joel Ward, Wayne Simmonds but Kane's racist comments came after his money pushups... claiming that if he was white then no one would have said anything which I don't believe at all.  Trouba would have been run out of town for that same pic.

I'm sure there were events relating to Kane, I just can't recall...  I'd say Subban takes more heat than Kane ever did.

23 minutes ago, mbrg said:

People get to hide behind keyboards these days.  It wasn't that long ago they hid their identities under white hoods.  I don't understand why people think they way they behave on the internet doesn't count.  It counts.  If you are mean on the internet, you are a mean person.  Not a funny person.   A mean person.  If you are racist on the internet, you are a racist person.  Not a funny person.

Kane might be immature, a lousy teammate, and a half dozen other things that I hold in low regard.  To say that he didn't experience racism just because he isn't likeable is a total cop-out.

Winnipeg is a diverse city with many different people of different backgrounds.  And most of those different people of different backgrounds experience some racism every day.

The same can be said for any other large city in North America, though, including all 30 other NHL markets. Look at PK Subban when he was in Montreal or Wayne Simmonds in Philadelphia. Both have been the target of bigotry, too.

I take exception with the fact Kane feebly tried to use racism as the reason why he was treated unfairly (complete bullshit narrative in his own mind) and why people didn't like him, and in turn paint Winnipeggers in a bad light. The reality is there are shitty people everywhere: racists, bigots, misogynists, etc. Winnipeg is not an exception.

While I'm sure he was the target of bigotry during his time with the Jets (and that is unacceptable and disgusting), I maintain his being disliked by fans here had way, way more to do with his attitude, immaturity, and arrogant personality as an individual than his skin colour.

32 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The same can be said for any other large city in North America, though, including all 30 other NHL markets. Look at PK Subban when he was in Montreal or Wayne Simmonds in Philadelphia. Both have been the target of bigotry, too.

I take exception with the fact Kane feebly tried to use racism as the reason why he was treated unfairly (complete bullshit narrative in his own mind) and why people didn't like him, and in turn paint Winnipeggers in a bad light. The reality is there are shitty people everywhere: racists, bigots, misogynists, etc. Winnipeg is not an exception.

While I'm sure he was the target of bigotry during his time with the Jets (and that is unacceptable and disgusting), I maintain his being disliked by fans here had way, way more to do with his attitude, immaturity, and arrogant personality as an individual than his skin colour.

ya that I agree with too.. the ire and venom that was tossed his way was not due to his skin pigment (for the most part.. sure, maybe some redneck from bumfawkbushberg,mb spoke ill of him because of the colour of his skin) but more so for his antics, crassness and lack of any humility or sense of team.     He would get that attitude in any city he goes to though, there is always that small, vocal element.   I too took offense at Kane implying those types of people are the reason he was getting so much hate though and how it makes the city in general look.   I think we are far more cultural friendly and accepting  of all walks of life then he was attempting to convey and deflect the fact he is despised so much here is all from his own doing.