Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

37 minutes ago, Floyd said:

What's very strange though is that I clearly remember the events surrounding Joel Ward, Wayne Simmonds but Kane's racist comments came after his money pushups... claiming that if he was white then no one would have said anything which I don't believe at all.  Trouba would have been run out of town for that same pic.

I'm sure there were events relating to Kane, I just can't recall...  I'd say Subban takes more heat than Kane ever did.

well exactly.  Nobody threw bananas at Kane or went out of their way to call him a derogatory slang when he was on the ice or entering/exiting the ice.  Nobody threw stuffed monkeys at him or anything else like we've heard from other african-american hockey players.  

Its truly ironic though that he is claiming racism like he did... when he has another african-american player on the team with him who completely denies any racial profiling or never has seemed to hear the same things or get the same treatment..

Both are highly paid, party guys with checkered pasts so its not like Kanes a ghetto thug and  Buff is a Ivy League grad student...

26 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

I think we are far more cultural friendly and accepting  of all walks of life then he was attempting to convey and deflect the fact he is despised so much here is all from his own doing.

Look no further than the players on the Bombers - past and present - who, for the most part, speak or have spoken glowingly about their time here.

Enough Evander Kane talk, though. Here's a crazy NHL statistic as of Wednesday afternoon (it's sure to be slightly different since then): https://www.bardown.com/one-stat-proves-that-the-central-division-is-the-best-in-the-nhl-1.964266

Adding up the division’s total goals for and subtracting their total goals against, the Central division’s goal differential currently stands at an unbelievable +100. Compare that to the rest of the divisions and the picture of which division is best in the NHL becomes a little less blurry.

Central: +100

Metropolitan: -5

Atlantic: -42

Pacific: -53

That is astounding.

8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Look no further than the players on the Bombers - past and present - who, for the most part, speak or have spoken glowingly about their time here.

Enough Evander Kane talk, though. Here's a crazy NHL statistic as of Wednesday afternoon (it's sure to be slightly different since then): https://www.bardown.com/one-stat-proves-that-the-central-division-is-the-best-in-the-nhl-1.964266

That is astounding.

"the forever mediocre-yet-competitive Minnesota Wild"

Say what???

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

"the forever mediocre-yet-competitive Minnesota Wild"

Say what???

I mean, is it inaccurate...? Despite some solid talent, they haven't accomplished much of anything. Last season is a prime example, IMO: finished 2nd in the Central Division and lost in the first round to the Blues. And now this season, they're barely hanging on to a wild card spot.

5 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I mean, is it inaccurate...? Despite some solid talent, they haven't accomplished much of anything. Last season is a prime example, IMO: finished 2nd in the Central Division and lost in the first round to the Blues. And now this season, they're barely hanging on to a wild card spot.

If you can make the playoffs 5 straight years, that's not mediocre in my books.

14 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If you can make the playoffs 5 straight years, that's not mediocre in my books.

me·di·o·cre
adjective
1. of only moderate quality; not very good.
synonyms: average, so-so, middling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Wild_seasons

In 2012-13 they finished 2nd in a garbage NW Division and were the only playoff team that season with a negative GF/GA. Besides last season, what isn't mediocre about their last five seasons, particularly the post-season?

2013-14: 4th, 2014-15: 4th, 2015-16: 5th (pretty much middle of the pack)

16/30 teams (soon to be 31) make the playoffs, anyway. Mediocre teams do make the playoffs: 2011-12 Capitals, 2013-14 Red Wings, 2015-16 Flyers - just to name a few.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:46 PM, Atomic said:

I'd say the Jets of the past few years have been mediocre.

The Wild were the highest scoring team in the West last year.  Not mediocre.

The Jets have been mostly below mediocre, to be perfectly honest.

The 2016-17 regular season was an exception with the Wild - they were a top team in the West. And then they stunk in the playoffs. They've been a pretty mediocre, middle-of-the-pack team otherwise.

I guess this begs the question: does one good regular season erase roughly a half-decade of mediocrity?

On 1/12/2018 at 5:29 PM, iHeart said:

Who's injured? I'm afraid to find out

Mason apparently has the flu took a puck to the mask in practice and wasn't feeling well afterwards.

Edited by blue_gold_84
no place for fake news on the internet

On 1/12/2018 at 11:30 AM, mbrg said:

Kane might be immature, a lousy teammate, and a half dozen other things that I hold in low regard.  To say that he didn't experience racism just because he isn't likeable is a total cop-out.

I am saying it's Bull **** and will stick by it.    I'm not saying racism doesn't exist,  but I will take the word of a bunch of good guy athletes who have played in this city over a loser like Kane who has got himself in trouble everywhere he has gone. 

Why you would make excuses for a guy like Kane is bizarre?  You would honestly take his word after all the crap he has gotten himself into?  

Kane's credibility is at a zero,  I don't believe anything that guy says.  

From the rumours out there,   the guy thought he was king **** walked around the locker room and town as if he was better then everyone else,   was KO'd by his team mate at a bar,   was put in his place by Buff....  I would easily put my money on the guy is an immature prick and who ran his mouth and got himself into trouble to a point where his team mates forced the club to kick him out.  

He goes to Buffalo,  gets arrested for being an idiot....  injures his team mate.... is hated again.... but yes lets say it's racism and not a guy trying to make excuses and deflect blame elsewhere.  

If racism is such an issue with the city/fans then how come so many Bomber players come here and absolutely love the town and fans??

Edited by Brandon

8 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Dano, Petan and a first, done and done.  :)

http://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/garrioch-sunday-coyotes-have-a-decision-to-make-on-oliver-ekman-larsson

Not only do the Coyotes want two high-end players off a club’s roster, but they’re also asking for a first-round pick. Seriously, what contender wants to do that?

Is it just me or does Chayka not have a clue how to manage...?

11 hours ago, Floyd said:

Ekman-Larson on trading block...

vesalainen, Petan and a 1st?

If you getting E-L then you're starting off with giving them Trouba and then you work out the other details such as Vesa, a 1st or both or another big name and perhaps get Domi as well.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

19 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If you getting E-L then you're starting off with giving them Trouba and then you work out the other details such as Vesa, a 1st or both or another big name and perhaps get Domi as well.

Um, no...  no one in the league is trading a RFA defenceman and picks for a pending UFA

56 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Unless they throw a contract extension at OLE at the same time. Still a year to work it out.

Wow, I thought he was UFA this year and that's why Phoenix is trading him...  shopping your marquee player who still has 1.5 years left - that's nuts.  That franchise is cursed.

Give them Stanley.