Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

Whether they trade him now or next season, the issue is still the same.  A contending team looking to add a great D man to help them win the Cup isnt giving up good players off their roster.

So Arizona can wait til the summer and try to make a better deal.  But OEL only has one year left to Free Agency so he's not worth as much. 

I dont see the Jets giving up a 1st round pick because their draft picks have been their bread and butter.  The Jets are conservative and even if they valued OEL, someone else will pay more.

If he does go to Free Agency, the Jets might be interested but it depends on their own players.  Morrissey is top pairing and will need a new deal.  So you bring in OEL and, what...he's now second pairing and wants $6 million+?

I'd love to have him.  LHD.  He'd be great for us.  But not gonna happen.  However, the Jets are the right kind of team for Arizona because we have young players we might part with (like Petan).

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Our LHD looks ok moving forward with Morrissey Kulikov Enstrom on a 1 year deal to let Niku really develop.. Then theres Samberg and Stanley also. 

LHD isnt that big of a need... Like at all. 

Now... A 2 or 3 Center? Sign me up. 

Yeah, I agree.  I'd like OEL here THIS year which would give the Jets the best D corp in the league potentially.  But thats not going to happen.

The Jets are more likely to re-sign Toby as the veteran transition until Niku is ready.  And the way he's played this year, barring a drop off, Niku probably sees some time next year as the first injury call up. 

As for Center.  it depends.  Between Lowry and Copp, we're good at 3C I think.  Roslo is going to get a chance in the top six eventually.  I think we need to see if he can be a 2C in the NHL.  But with Little under contract, I dont think anything is changing anytime soon.  If anything, it would be keeping Wheeler at 1C, moving Scheif to 2C, Little to 2RW or 3C. 

Re-signing Toby is a bad idea unless its around $2.5 mill for a 6th D

LHD is still a need - don't pencil in Samberg and Stanley until 2021...?  by the time Niku is ready Kulikov is gone

OEL is a top D that doesn't care where he plays, just wants to win and play in front of fans...  I think he'd sign long-term around $5.5-6 mill

18 minutes ago, Floyd said:

LHD is still a need - don't pencil in Samberg and Stanley until 2021...?  by the time Niku is ready Kulikov is gone

OEL is a top D that doesn't care where he plays, just wants to win and play in front of fans...  I think he'd sign long-term around $5.5-6 mill

Is the bolded conjecture or has he said this in an interview?

I know his cap hit was $5.5M last year, but his salary next will be $7M.    He is currently only 26, will be 28 when his contract expires.   I would think he is going to be looking to get paid.

17 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Yeah no one is suggesting the Jets sign Toby for $6 million.  But I think they like him, he can play pretty big minutes so I think, unless Toby wants to leave, he'd sign a new deal in the 3 year range for a reasonable cap hit.

I like Chiarot but you dont want to be in the position forever where he's your go-to guy in case of injury.  Seeing Niku playing well and knowing Poolman can play is great.  But you need depth.  I want Niku and Poolman to play when they beat out the guys ahead of them.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah no one is suggesting the Jets sign Toby for $6 million.  But I think they like him, he can play pretty big minutes so I think, unless Toby wants to leave, he'd sign a new deal in the 3 year range for a reasonable cap hit.

I like Chiarot but you dont want to be in the position forever where he's your go-to guy in case of injury.  Seeing Niku playing well and knowing Poolman can play is great.  But you need depth.  I want Niku and Poolman to play when they beat out the guys ahead of them.

You just finished saying LHD was not a need at all...  now you say we should play Enstrom until he's 36-37 years old?  

With the question marks surrounding LHD and Trouba...  I'd really look at OEL... Coyotes GM is not exactly Scotty Bowman...  

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Is the bolded conjecture or has he said this in an interview?

I know his cap hit was $5.5M last year, but his salary next will be $7M.    He is currently only 26, will be 28 when his contract expires.   I would think he is going to be looking to get paid.

Sports writer conjecture...  so who knows

I'd really be looking at OEL only if Trouba looks like he's moving on - lock Trouba down for another year with RFA and go for it all

27 minutes ago, Floyd said:

You just finished saying LHD was not a need at all...  now you say we should play Enstrom until he's 36-37 years old?  

With the question marks surrounding LHD and Trouba...  I'd really look at OEL... Coyotes GM is not exactly Scotty Bowman...  

Actually I didnt say LHD was not a need.  I said I'd prefer a scenario where Chiarot was not next man up.  Which he is right now.  If you lose Toby, Chairot is your every-game LHD and then a rookie is next man up.

Thats why I think they will re-sign Toby.  He's 33 so a 2-3 year deal makes him 35-36 which is not unheard of.  Keep in mind, this would be a new contract but the nearly $6 million he makes now.

Who are you going to trade for OEL?  If Trouba goes, then sure, they have the room for another star D man.  But the goal should be to lock up Trouba and if they do, they't afford OEL, especially with Morrissey also needing a raise.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Actually I didnt say LHD was not a need.  I said I'd prefer a scenario where Chiarot was not next man up.  Which he is right now.  If you lose Toby, Chairot is your every-game LHD and then a rookie is next man up.

Thats why I think they will re-sign Toby.  He's 33 so a 2-3 year deal makes him 35-36 which is not unheard of.  Keep in mind, this would be a new contract but the nearly $6 million he makes now.

Who are you going to trade for OEL?  If Trouba goes, then sure, they have the room for another star D man.  But the goal should be to lock up Trouba and if they do, they't afford OEL, especially with Morrissey also needing a raise.

You just agreed with Goalie that it was not a need... ?

Reports that OEL is available right now.  I think Coyotes are trying to hit cap floor...  they're about 3-4 million away - someone will get a good deal

38 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Reports that OEL is available right now.  I think Coyotes are trying to hit cap floor...  they're about 3-4 million away - someone will get a good deal

Elliot Friedman was saying on Saturday that the Rangers are pretty fed up with their core and realize that they don't have what it takes, and so will be selling off pieces.  OEL might work for the Rangers.

14 hours ago, Floyd said:

Its not a strong need in the future.  But its a "want" for right now.  Thats the point I meant to make, that OEL would be great to have for the next two years but the Jets arent going to break the bank.  They have Morrissey to sign.  They have Kulikov.  And I think they will re-sign Toby.  There's your LHD right now.  But there is a bit of grey area between Toby aging out and Niki being ready.  We'd all rather have OEL than Toby for the next two years.  But its not going to happen.

35 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Gonna have to work some salary magic to get OEL here.  If Trouba and Morrissey sign, we'll have 23-25 million committed to our top 4 (Buff, Trouba, Morrissey, Kulikov).  Not to mention Tyler Myers.

There's basically no chance OEL ends up here.

If trouba actually signs, I tend to agree but I don’t think he does

8 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Indeed.  That is the 7 million dollar question.

In a normal year, I'd say OEL is a non-starter... but the Coyotes are a tire fire of a franchise right now - like rebuilding a rebuild 

-37 plus minus is a hell of an incentive to play for a winning team leading up to the biggest contract of your career...

5.5 cap hit is great if the Jets are looking at a run this year and next...  

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

Jets are one of the few teams with the assets to bring Kane in. But that’s ridiculous for a UFA. And the jets wouldn’t touch him. 

Pens?

9 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Pens usually make a big trade, would not surprise me.

I think the Pens will be looking for a 3rd line centre. They've got Guentzel there right now, and his offense has completely disappeared. Get themselves a centre, and they'll have the added benefit of Guentzel back in the top 6 as a winger.