Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

Connor Hellebuyck name second star of the week: https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/hellebuyck-named-second-star-of-the-week/c-295172188

Hellebuyck, 24, led the Jets to two straight wins last week coming out of the player break. He stopped 30 of 31 shots and also saved both shootout attempts in a 2-1 shootout win against the Calgary Flames on Saturday before starting again the next night and saving all 29 shots in a 1-0 shutout victory against the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday. In total, he saved 59 of the 60 shots he faced last week for a .983 save percentage. He also had a 0.48 goals-against average in the two games.

Nathan MacKinnon and Brad Marchand were named the week's first and third stars, respectively.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup.  Was talking with some friends about this on the weekend.  Winnipeg could get a tough first round match.  Almost surely they will.

I like it.  Win your division, then win your conference, then win the league.

Its only unbalanced if you look at records alone... but the fact that records are developed by playing teams primarily in your division and conference means that this way of constructing the playoffs makes the most sense.  Its all about win the division, win the conference, then win the league.

19 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

IMO I think Yost  somewhat overstates  and over complicates the use of the word weaker teams.  Regardless of how teams made the playoffs (and yes I agree  there is room for improvement in how that is determined), all teams made it because they did what they had to do. 

All 16 teams who make the playoffs are strong teams comparatively speaking across the league, however, obviously some playoff (and non-playoff) teams are stronger than others and some playoff teams are the strongest of the pile.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

IMO I think Yost  somewhat overstates  and over complicates the use of the word weaker teams.  Regardless of how teams made the playoffs (and yes I agree  there is room for improvement in how that is determined), all teams made it because they did what they had to do. 

All 16 teams who make the playoffs are strong teams comparatively speaking across the league, however, obviously some playoff (and non-playoff) teams are stronger than others and some playoff teams are the strongest of the pile.

It all comes down to the way teams are built in the salary cap era. 

I'm far from the first to have the theory that there's 3-5 elite teams, 3-5 awful teams and 20+ that are virtually interchangeable.  Been like this for a few yrs already.  Makes for parity, or better, the appearance of parity. 

Gone are the days where a #1 seed was an overwhelming fave over #8. 

18 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I would have guessed he was already doing this. It's TSN Radio after all. What the next announcement? Craig Buttons will be on after the next break?

Sounds to me it's just more of a secured timeslot.  

Similar to having Gabe Morency from MTL on every Thurs (?) or Hacksaw Hamilton from San Diego on every Friday. 

Dreger seems to be on > 1/week.  Which isn't a bad thing. 

19 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I would have guessed he was already doing this. It's TSN Radio after all. What the next announcement? Craig Buttons will be on after the next break?

Craig Button already provides semi-regular spots. McKenzie does not.

They often replay his spots but he does not appear on TSN1290.

As Lawless explained on his last show, its also a paid gig for the guest.  He told a funny story how he asked Dreger to come H&L early in their run and Dreger said sure no problem. Then some time later, Lawless asked him again.  Again, Dreger said sure.  They kept that up fairly regularly until Dreger said "so guys, maybe we need to formalize this..." ie. pay him to be a regular guest.

So its a good get for the Big Show and means the station was willing to part with some cash to secure Bobby Mac.  Interesting that it's not Dreger (former local boy).  But I prefer McKenzie.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

As Lawless explained on his last show, its also a paid gig for the guest.  He told a funny story how he asked Dreger to come H&L early in their run and Dreger said sure no problem. Then some time later, Lawless asked him again.  Again, Dreger said sure.  They kept that up fairly regularly until Dreger said "so guys, maybe we need to formalize this..." ie. pay him to be a regular guest.

So its a good get for the Big Show and means the station was willing to part with some cash to secure Bobby Mac.  Interesting that it's not Dreger (former local boy).  But I prefer McKenzie.

I think Dregs still does Wednesday on the Afternoon Drive show.