Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

I'll stick up for Wpg 'til I'm blue in the face, but @Atomic is bang on here. 

We're a pretty damn great city, if you enjoyed enough time here.  That doesn't translate to being a top NHL destination in a league with some of North America's finest cities, and a few of the world's.  I can see it gradually change over time.  We develop into a franchise like Detroit was 20 yrs ago that competes for titles every year.  Maybe we become one of the NHL's top 20 or 25 desirable markets.   I do think some players, vets in particular, do gravitate to winning, the organization as a whole, and some probably even research the city a little.  So, sure there's guys out there that would rather play and make a living in Wpg over Detroit, or Ottawa or Edmonton.  Maybe the arena situation with the Isles scares players away.   Still.... vast majority will choose the bigger city, with more to offer.   And hell, lower taxes in the states cannot hurt those teams.   

KBF brings up a great point though.  To succeed managing a franchise like Wpg you need to be smart with drafting, tread carefully with free agency, just be more patient in general.   All areas that Wpg has been excelling at.  When the NEW YORK frickin' Rangers issue a letter to fans bracing them for a tear down / rebuild, you know the city alone doesn't define the team.  

Maybe the most important of all in this... who the heck cares who wants to come here and who doesn't?  We've been a top 5 team mostly all year, and one of the youngest.  The CBA, at least until we're locked out again, favours small markets more than ever before.   Players like Trouba will come and likely go, but we're in year 7 and him, Kane and maybe Bogosian are the only ones I can think of who've wanted out.  Scheifele will lead these young guns Laine, Ehlers, Morrissey and Hellebuyck for many years to come. 

Not sure if crazy, made-up fan stuff or what, but heard today that maybe the Jets are in on Karlsson for a package including Trouba, Hutchinson and Copp........gotta think it's going to take a LOT more than that to get it done...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Not sure if crazy, made-up fan stuff or what, but heard today that maybe the Jets are in on Karlsson for a package including Trouba, Hutchinson and Copp........gotta think it's going to take a LOT more than that to get it done...

Dreger saying on TSN1200 in OTT he thinks it’s 50/50 EK is dealt by Monday. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I'll stick up for Wpg 'til I'm blue in the face, but @Atomic is bang on here. 

We're a pretty damn great city, if you enjoyed enough time here.  That doesn't translate to being a top NHL destination in a league with some of North America's finest cities, and a few of the world's.  I can see it gradually change over time.  We develop into a franchise like Detroit was 20 yrs ago that competes for titles every year.  Maybe we become one of the NHL's top 20 or 25 desirable markets.   I do think some players, vets in particular, do gravitate to winning, the organization as a whole, and some probably even research the city a little.  So, sure there's guys out there that would rather play and make a living in Wpg over Detroit, or Ottawa or Edmonton.  Maybe the arena situation with the Isles scares players away.   Still.... vast majority will choose the bigger city, with more to offer.   And hell, lower taxes in the states cannot hurt those teams.   

KBF brings up a great point though.  To succeed managing a franchise like Wpg you need to be smart with drafting, tread carefully with free agency, just be more patient in general.   All areas that Wpg has been excelling at.  When the NEW YORK frickin' Rangers issue a letter to fans bracing them for a tear down / rebuild, you know the city alone doesn't define the team.  

Maybe the most important of all in this... who the heck cares who wants to come here and who doesn't?  We've been a top 5 team mostly all year, and one of the youngest.  The CBA, at least until we're locked out again, favours small markets more than ever before.   Players like Trouba will come and likely go, but we're in year 7 and him, Kane and maybe Bogosian are the only ones I can think of who've wanted out.  Scheifele will lead these young guns Laine, Ehlers, Morrissey and Hellebuyck for many years to come. 

Yes!!  Exactly.  It doesn't mean we can't have a great team.  It just has to be built a certain way.  Chevy faces challenges other GMs don't and to be honest I think he has done a fantastic job.  It's hard to argue with the results.

Draft and develop, win trades, and be selective in free agency.  It's working.  **** the players who don't want to come here.  And there are a lot of em.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Thats a lot for a UFA in '19. How bout Myers or Trouba for Karlsson?

2 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thats a lot for a UFA in '19. How bout Myers or Trouba for Karlsson?

they're saying it's going to take 6 pieces to get Karlsson in return or else you have to take on Bobby Ryan's contract....

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

It's only overblown if you think "no one" literally means "no one".  Like I said, players who have played here know it's not so bad.  I never thought we'd have much trouble re-signing players.

But attracting free agents and trade targets remains a challenge for Winnipeg more than any other market.  There is no other way to look at it.  Sorry but you're just being silly if you think anyone who hasn't lived here thinks this is a desirable place to go.

We hear it again and again.  Players don't want to come here.  We're the most-cited city on no-trade lists.  We've never signed a top free agent.  We get day 3 free agents and reclamation projects.  Why deny it?  It's obvious.

So you agree with me. Because that’s what I said was overblown and you began debating as if I said something else. 

Jets have signed some free agents. Others they have not. Other teams have the same issue.

It’s obvious. Yeesh  

59 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So you agree with me. Because that’s what I said was overblown and you began debating as if I said something else. 

Jets have signed some free agents. Others they have not. Other teams have the same issue.

It’s obvious. Yeesh  

You're coming off extremely obnoxious here

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

Not sure what the Oilers have to give up other than Klefbom... 

Oilers would have 3 guys making over $30M total.  Not much left for the rest of the roster... 

Theoretically the Jets could make OTT a sweet package centering around Trouba, but I doubt he'd (read: his family) want to be in Ottawa any more than Wpg.