Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I found a story on the NHL's own website that referred to his being sick of clutch & grab as his desire to retire.  But Sweet's story confirms it.  Thank you.  Maybe younger folks dont remember.  Mario was my favorite player.  He was very out spoken about the game.

It's interesting that he ended up in ownership. I know the decision to become an owner was not his but he didn't sell once the team's value increased. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

It's interesting that he ended up in ownership. I know the decision to become an owner was not his but he didn't sell once the team's value increased. 

Definitely a company guy...though he did put the team up for sale once or twice but never went through with it.  I believe it was about $30 million that he paid in cash and deferred salary to get majority control.  A steal of a deal!

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Definitely a company guy...though he did put the team up for sale once or twice but never went through with it.  I believe it was about $30 million that he paid in cash and deferred salary to get majority control.  A steal of a deal!

No kidding. But the Penguins certainly did have some drama getting a new arena built. Amazing how the team has turned around. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

The team was broke wasn't it? They owed him millions of dollars, and he got paid by becoming an owner. That's what I remember.

So he was a great player, and a smart business person as well.

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

The team was broke wasn't it? They owed him millions of dollars, and he got paid by becoming an owner. That's what I remember.

So he was a great player, and a smart business person as well.

Yup.  They declared bankruptcy.  He had deferred tens of millions and pitched the idea of converting his deferred salary into equity in the team.  Another cool thing is, his plan was to pay all creditors what they were owed, even unsecured ones and he maintained that position when he took over.  He insisted everyone get what was owed to them and he paid everyone. 

20 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

No.  He had cancer in 93.  He retired in 97.  His retired for good in 2006 after a series of health issues and cited his heath (and being able to play at an elite level) for his retirement. 

Three back surgeries are not insignificant and while he did recover from his Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1993, he dealt with issues after that related to the radiation treatment he received.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=2304706

Aug. 29, 1994
Announces he is taking a medical leave of absence due to fatigue, an after-effect of his 1993 radiation
treatments, and will sit out 1994-95 season.

Health/injury issues plagued him for a considerable part of his career. I don't think it's unreasonable to say they played a role in his decision to retire in 1997. That's all I was trying to explain.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Three back surgeries are not insignificant and while he did recover from his Hodgkin's lymphoma in 1993, he dealt with issues after that related to the radiation treatment he received.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=2304706

Health/injury issues plagued him for a considerable part of his career. I don't think it's unreasonable to say they played a role in his decision to retire in 1997. That's all I was trying to explain.

I dont doubt it.  I was simply saying that his dislike of the game played a role also.  I think we agree! ;-)

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Crosby hate...he acts  d!ckesh some times. Who not see that?

Is it talent too? Sure. As a Jets 1 fan Gretzky was hated because of his talent  #1 and his dive antics #2.

Gretzky never had to dive... semenko made sure no one touched him

Lemieux was actually quite the crybaby when he played. 

Why? He was always coddled and told he was the best so he believed it and his ego got the better of him at times. Big time crybaby. Gretzky was too... Lemieux a bit more tho. 

Edited by Goalie

I'm not sure there's ever been a player in the history of the NHL who whined for calls as much as Sidney Crosby. Now, did he have a point because people took liberties? Maybe. Is he a guy who skates with his head down and expects people to give him a wide berth and not take advantage? Definitely. 

Edited by Noeller

Guys that are Captains will usually be talking to the refs more.  Ive seen many clips online with people saying Crosby is crying to the refs again and either he's engaged in a conversation as one would expect or he's being hooked, held or slashed.  But when you're that good, everyone is going to take liberties.

The flak against Mario was that he "whined" about how the game was played and then quit.  When he came back from his first retirement, he was quite different.  I dont recall him ever getting heat for whining but he was also very referred.  Its a shame he retired that first time.  He was so dominant.  Had he been healthy his entire career, he likely broke a lot more records, including points in a season (and maybe goals).  Not sure he could have hit Wayne's all time points records but with a few 200 point seasons, you never know.  Surely would have finished over 2000 points.

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm not sure there's ever been a player in the history of the NHL who whined for calls as much as Sidney Crosby.

and this is the main thing  you get from the career of Sydney Crosby?

Take out the other players admiration, the Olympic medals, the Stanley Cups, off ice citizenship, and just think of him as a whiner?

5 hours ago, Mark F said:

and this is the main thing  you get from the career of Sydney Crosby?

Take out the other players admiration, the Olympic medals, the Stanley Cups, off ice citizenship, and just think of him as a whiner?

I'm challenged to think of any star player who didn't / doesn't whine.... aka complain to refs about a missed call. 

"ya know that James Wright was always nice to officials, that's why I wear his jersey" - this board, probably. 

----------------------------------------

Be thankful you're all not NBA fans, 98% of the sport is the best player being fouled.  So entertaining. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

That Andrew Ladd contract succccks , 5 more years at 5.5 million!

What about the Sedins?  Did I miss them on the list?  Yikes that Parise contract is just awful.  And Montreal is in deep with Price.  Wow.  Glad to see Chevy not signing these long term deals with old guys.  How much time does Wheels have on his contract?

37 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

What about the Sedins?  Did I miss them on the list?  Yikes that Parise contract is just awful.  And Montreal is in deep with Price.  Wow.  Glad to see Chevy not signing these long term deals with old guys.  How much time does Wheels have on his contract?

Wheeler is a FA after next year.   Buff could turn into a bad contract.   $7.6M until 2020/2021 when he will be 35.

Also Little making $5.3M until 36.