Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

16 hours ago, Tony Fresco said:

I can't understand how that was interference (which is now called by the war room in Toronto) when the Neal homerun swing to Helle's head was not interference.  I'd like to cue up those two plays side by side and let non-hockey fans decide which one they thought should be called interference.

I honestly think they roll a dice to determine the outcome.

I don't agree with this argument but...

I think Luongo had the puck under him, although the Preds were poking at it, and by turning (interfering with) him, the puck came loose. 

Buycky did not have the puck. 

17 hours ago, Tony Fresco said:

I can't understand how that was interference (which is now called by the war room in Toronto) when the Neal homerun swing to Helle's head was not interference.  I'd like to cue up those two plays side by side and let non-hockey fans decide which one they thought should be called interference.

I honestly think they roll a dice to determine the outcome.

I think the excuse on the Helle one was, it was clearly a penalty but you cant review penalties.  But common sense tells us that a stick across the face is obviously going to interfere with a goalie.

The problem with the Nashville one is, we already see goalies over-sell "contact".  In a scrum like that, make sure you "move" to sell interference.  It was a scrum that happens all the time.  To me, if the ref doesnt whistler it dead when he loses sight of the puck and the stick action is at the puck and not a very clear "shoveling" of the goalie into the crease, its not enough to over-turn.

I imagine the debate in the war room was "well he didnt *really* interfere illegally but technically he did so lets overturn it).  Common sense tells us thats a good goal.  They can fix this by getting rid of video review for gialie interference and leaving it up to the on-ice officials to call.  That cuts out the plays that require super slow motion and 15 angles to determine what happened.  Yes, the refs will miss the occasional call but the human factor is the same for all teams.  Subjective examination in such forensic ways is worse.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

NHL wants Florida in playoffs. And yes it was a good goal but reversed by the NHL offices in Tarrana

Ah... so you think the NHL is conspiring against the Philadelphia Flyers to get Florida into the playoffs...

NHL must absolutely be dreading a Boston-Philadelphia series... no one would watch that... :ph34r:

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think the excuse on the Helle one was, it was clearly a penalty but you cant review penalties.  But common sense tells us that a stick across the face is obviously going to interfere with a goalie.

The problem with the Nashville one is, we already see goalies over-sell "contact".  In a scrum like that, make sure you "move" to sell interference.  It was a scrum that happens all the time.  To me, if the ref doesnt whistler it dead when he loses sight of the puck and the stick action is at the puck and not a very clear "shoveling" of the goalie into the crease, its not enough to over-turn.

I imagine the debate in the war room was "well he didnt *really* interfere illegally but technically he did so lets overturn it).  Common sense tells us thats a good goal.  They can fix this by getting rid of video review for gialie interference and leaving it up to the on-ice officials to call.  That cuts out the plays that require super slow motion and 15 angles to determine what happened.  Yes, the refs will miss the occasional call but the human factor is the same for all teams.  Subjective examination in such forensic ways is worse.

Agree, and when it happens, should be assessed a penalty like skaters for diving.

46 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Think oilers fans wish they could get that hall trade back?

Think it's just a one off year for them.

Nashville takes home Presidents Trophy for best team in league. Jets can still finish 2nd overall. Which just means the top 2 teams in points meet in the 2nd round :wacko:

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Think it's just a one off year for them.

Nashville takes home Presidents Trophy for best team in league. Jets can still finish 2nd overall. Which just means the top 2 teams in points meet in the 2nd round :wacko:

I don't think so. They have huge structural problems and have not resolved two key shortfalls - goaltending and defence. 

I bet they get some top prospects this year though. 

Their biggest crutch is probably Chiarelli. That guy unloads more talent than anyone else. 

Here's an article from December outlining his failures (so far): https://oilersnation.com/2017/12/08/a-hindsight-look-at-peter-chiarellis-gruesome-trading-record/

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

This year was a down year for the Oilers but they are long way from a complete team.  McJesus can only do so much.  He's good enough to trick people into believing his teammates are also the real deal.

McDavid is the real deal as a player but.....I believe it was a huge mistake to give him the "C" so early.   Edmonton lacks leadership.   A captain should be a guy that other guys can go to just to talk about on-ice and off-ice situations.   An NHL season is a long grind, and various issues can affect their play.  Marital issues, family issues, travel fatigue for example.      He just turned 21, so it's tough for the 23-24 year old coming up to go to him for life advice.   

I'm also in the camp that thinks the Oilers  have structural issues that aren't ending soon.

10 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

McDavid is the real deal as a player but.....I believe it was a huge mistake to give him the "C" so early.   Edmonton lacks leadership.   A captain should be a guy that other guys can go to just to talk about on-ice and off-ice situations.   An NHL season is a long grind, and various issues can affect their play.  Marital issues, family issues, travel fatigue for example.      He just turned 21, so it's tough for the 23-24 year old coming up to go to him for life advice.   

I'm also in the camp that thinks the Oilers  have structural issues that aren't ending soon.

McDavid has the hardest work ethic of anyone on that team. I don't think it was a mistake to give him the C. He's a leader.

The mistake was dumping all that top end offensive talent and getting nothing in return. Also, signing Lucic to a crazy contract. 

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

This year was a down year for the Oilers but they are long way from a complete team.  McJesus can only do so much.  He's good enough to trick people into believing his teammates are also the real deal.

Yup and it can also work the reverse. He plays at such an elite level that he can make good team players look weak.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

McDavid has the hardest work ethic of anyone on that team. I don't think it was a mistake to give him the C. He's a leader.

The mistake was dumping all that top end offensive talent and getting nothing in return. Also, signing Lucic to a crazy contract. 

Draisaitl's contract is pretty ridiculous, too.

The Oilers are a very poorly balanced team. That's on Chiarelli to a degree but it's something that's plagued that organization for a long while.

19 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Draisaitl's contract is pretty ridiculous, too.

The Oilers are a very poorly balanced team. That's on Chiarelli to a degree but it's something that's plagued that organization for a long while.

Draisatl, Lucic, Russell and Sekera contracts are terrible...

They really have to hope that Mantha and Jones are ready to go next year.

Shocking that there was ever any discussion about Pulujarvi v. Laine as 2nd overall pick...

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Regular season regulation loss.  They lost 3 very important games in regulation in April 2015 to the Ducks.

Otherwise, that is an eyebrow-raising tidbit indeed.

Considering the only time the Thrashers ever made the playoffs they lost 4 straight to the Rangers, that means this "franchise" has still never won a single playoff game.

I'm really looking forward to the Jets hanging a Wild pelt over their locker room  fireplace.