Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????  Austen Matthews Patrik Laine  and Werenski are light years better then the rookies this season.

I'm going to guess Goalie meant depth (parity), not top end talent. 

Edited by JCon

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Gallant Vegas

Bednar Colorado 

Cassidy Boston 

Coach of the Year finalists

Boston? Really? Huh... Maurice got jobbed as did the Devils coach

How the **** was Maurice not a finalist??? We didn’t make the playoffs last year and then finished one game away from the Presidents trophy. 

Wow. These awards obviously aren’t just merit. It’s politics. 

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How the **** was Maurice not a finalist??? We didn’t make the playoffs last year and then finished one game away from the Presidents trophy. 

Wow. These awards obviously aren’t just merit. It’s politics. 

Too many votes in the East. Cassidy is a good pick but Maurice deserved it just a bit more, I think. 

Gallant will get it hands down...  and deserves it - that Vegas team really is a bunch of hacks - he's got them playing his system, no questions asked

Boston was supposed to suck this year... so I understand that one too

Maurice should have been the third one - Colorado is a good team when Nathan MacKinnon is having a good night... and that's it - they only made the playoffs because St Louis imploded...

13 hours ago, Floyd said:

Gallant will get it hands down...  and deserves it - that Vegas team really is a bunch of hacks - he's got them playing his system, no questions asked

Maurice should have been the third one - Colorado is a good team when Nathan MacKinnon is having a good night... and that's it - they only made the playoffs because St Louis imploded...

Yup,  all but one that were nominated are playing for a distant second  behind Gallant who  should make room on his mantle for it.  

How do you compete with 'takes first year expansion team to (fill in blank) round of playoffs and ?' 

14 hours ago, Floyd said:

Agreed on all points. Not many people thought Boston was going to be any good this year. He definitely deserves the nomination imo.

10 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Agreed on all points. Not many people thought Boston was going to be any good this year. He definitely deserves the nomination imo.

Many thought the same of the Jets going into the season. Maurice had been on the hot seat the previous two seasons, his contract extension wasn't well received, and retaining him would be a mistake by TNSE.

The Bruins finished third in the Atlantic Division last season with 95 points and made the playoffs. The Jets, OTOH, finished with 87 points and well out of a playoff spot. Just my two pennies but I think taking the latter from basically a bottom feeder to second in the entire NHL is considerably more impressive than what the former accomplished.

In any case, Gallant is winning the Jack Adams this year. It's not even close.

3 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Many thought the same of the Jets going into the season. Maurice had been on the hot seat the previous two seasons, his contract extension wasn't well received, and retaining him would be a mistake by TNSE.

Ok, but I agree with you that Maurice should have also been a finalist. I expected the Jets to make the playoffs, presumably b/c I'm smarter than most people.

1 minute ago, sweep the leg said:

Anybody fill out a playoff bracket on nhl.com? I went 7 of 8. I picked the Kings over LV. I actually logged in to change it right before the deadline, but didn't do it b/c my last second changes to fantasy teams/rosters almost always backfire.

Yep 8/8 with number of games correct in 4 of them.

As far as real estate deals go, this was a great one.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2772480-wayne-gretzky-buys-135-million-mansion-he-once-sold-to-lenny-dykstra?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

NHL Hall of Famer Wayne Gretzky rebought the Thousand Oaks mansion he once sold to former MLB player Lenny Dykstra, according to Jack Flemming of the Los Angeles Times.

Gretzky paid $13.5 million to reacquire the mansion, which he sold to Dykstra in 2007 for $18.5 million. Dykstra lost the property to foreclosure after declaring bankruptcy.

Flemming described the sprawling property:

"Inside, stately crown molding and Venetian plaster walls accent spaces such as the living room, formal dining area and chef's kitchen. Other common areas include a theater room, a gym, an office, six bedrooms and eight bathrooms. A second-story terrace takes in views of the Santa Monica Mountains.

"Out back, a covered patio with pillars leads out to a pool and spa. Elsewhere, there is a lighted and fenced tennis court, an outdoor kitchen, a rose garden and two guest houses."

Great read from Seravalli: https://www.tsn.ca/how-the-jets-grew-to-be-stanley-cup-contenders-1.1069834

And handful of great quotes:

Cheveldayoff on his role as GM: "I’m the biggest fan probably in Winnipeg. But you can’t think like a fan."

Maurice on his captain: It was complete buy-in. We gave him a 22-year-old centre [in Scheifele] and a guy who could be in junior on his left wing [in Ehlers]. He’s a driver, he’s intense, he’s wired. He was able to flip a switch, talk to them differently. He hugged them when he needed to and he barked at them when he needed to. He was the guy for me that bridged the gap between the organization that knows what it needs to do and the veterans.”

Cheveldayoff on the team's remarkable regular season success: “You’d think there would be a lot of backslapping, party hats and sticking it on cruise control. I honestly don’t think there’s been a time when I sat there and said, ‘Ooooh, this is good.’ It’s just so hard.”

Cheveldayoff on game 1 of the regular season: “We got slapped right away. It was a humbling experience. I think that was a pretty clear indication it’s not going to be easy. It was a reminder, Game one or 82, you've got to earn it. The quicker you understand that, the better off you’ll be. The guys have stayed focused.”

Cheveldayoff on the team growing into a contender: “I always think of a bamboo plant. They may not grow for a long, long period of time, but when they do they can literally grow feet overnight. You don’t see it grow, but it’s doing what it needs. A team is like that. It’s not like you can fertilize it more. It grows at its own rate.”

On 4/27/2018 at 9:31 AM, iHeart said:

seems that the flames are going into total upheaval mode

https://www.tsn.ca/burke-stepping-back-from-flames-1.1069816

Burke appeared drunk to me on Sportsnet this afternoon.  He called the coach of the Bruins "Butch Cassidy" (not sure if that's his nickname, if so then I apologize) and he and Elliot seemed to disagree on several points about the Tampa/Boston game.  To the point of being polar opposites.  It was kind of awkward.