Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

My point is that when an athlete publicly discusses politics especially as sensitive as being pro vile dictator, then it is news to the sports media. Did the sports media cover Tiger Woods accident and exploits? Ofcourse. Because it was news in the world of sports. 

News is news. Sports media or cable news. Regardless if its news they should cover it. 

The Tiger Woods accident and subsequent downfall had huge implications on his golfing career.  Ovechkin declaring support for the leader of his native country is hardly comparable.  If no one talked about Tiger, his career still would have collapsed.  Ovechkin's hockey career will almost certainly be unaffected by this, no matter how many anti-Putin zealots would like to believe otherwise.  It's a non-story.

Ovechkin is trying to get people to rally to his cause.  Slava is trying to do the same.

Edited by Atomic

6 hours ago, Atomic said:

The Tiger Woods accident and subsequent downfall had huge implications on his golfing career.  Ovechkin declaring support for the leader of his native country is hardly comparable.  If no one talked about Tiger, his career still would have collapsed.  Ovechkin's hockey career will almost certainly be unaffected by this, no matter how many anti-Putin zealots would like to believe otherwise.  It's a non-story.

Ovechkin is trying to get people to rally to his cause.  Slava is trying to do the same.

A proud Russian who lives and dies Russia like his president? Why is this even news lol. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/senators-canadian-tire-centre-lebreton-1.4390956

Mayor Jim Watson says he doesn't want to repeat the mistake other cities have made by leaving Ottawa's NHL arena vacant when the team moves into a new downtown rink.

Watson, who's preparing to take a seat at the negotiating table to hash out details of the LeBreton Flats redevelopment, said Tuesday the future of the Canadian Tire Centre (CTC) in Kanata must be considered before the Senators move to a new arena.

The Senators-backed RendezVous LeBreton group's plan for LeBreton Flats includes a new NHL arena, 4,000 housing units and other public amenities.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Such a weird move by the club... sign the guy and then bury him in the AHL because they didn't off load enough guys in trades. You'd think they would be nice and let him go free or see if another club would trade for him..

Anaheim had interest. Turns out ships wife wanted to go home to Russia. 

I feel bad for the guy.  I think it got to the point it had to happen.  Like Goalie said, the desire to go home.  Imagine being a North American and being signed to the splashy new team in Russia with the hype that you're their #1 centre etc.  And then instead, they cant fit you under their cap, send you to the minor leagues.  Meanwhile, there is a culture shock.  And its all weighing on you.

Good luck to the player.  It was a bad situation and I think Vegas didnt handle it well.  Had his price been lower, they might have shipped him somewhere (I thought Caps would be a good fit because it would acclimate him easier).  Oh well just another chapter in the story of the Knights.