Around the NHL 2017/2018

Rich

Interesting article from Scheifele as he rates his top 5 toughest players he has faced in the NHL.   

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/mark-scheifele-top-5-nhl/

Hockey, man. It’s the best. I truly love it. There are a lot of guys in the league who will tell you, “I like to leave it all at the rink. I don’t watch much hockey when I get home.”
Yeah … That’s definitely not me.

I’m what you might call a full-on hockey nerd. I can watch hockey all day. Like, when we’re headed to the airport after a game, I’ll pull out my phone right on the bus and just start streaming the late games. I’m always fascinated by why guys are playing a certain way, or taking chances in certain moments, or adding little tricks to their game. You watch any hockey game closely enough, and there’s going to be something you can pick up.

I see a guy like Sid winning two Stanley Cups in a row, and he’s still loving everything about the game, still working on new things. That’s inspiring to me. I wake up every day and try to eat, breathe, and sleep hockey. And I figure — why not add “write hockey” to that list?

This is my attempt at taking you a little deeper inside the game that I love. Honestly, I probably could have made this 20 players long — but here are the five toughest guys I’ve ever faced.

Interesting read from someone who plays against these guys and his comments on their game.  His top 5 toughest players to play against:

Karlsson

Price

Crosby

Josi

McDavid

37 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Funny, I was watching some of the Jets/Oilers game and thought boy it looks strange seeing a d-man wearing number 5 that can skate and move the puck... then I wondered what Stuart was up to these days...

Stulikov is one of the very few strong athlete nicknames to come from this town.  

I cringe every time Scheifs gets referred to as Bambi. 

2 hours ago, Rich said:

http://www.bardown.com/the-hurricanes-attendance-numbers-on-tuesday-night-were-the-lowest-since-2001-1.881736

Worst attendance for a game that wasn't snowed out since 2001.

And only the 2nd game of the season.

Ouragans!

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Stulikov is one of the very few strong athlete nicknames to come from this town. 

Should have trademarked it.

2 hours ago, bustamente said:

Canes are up for sale, sticking point atm is the owner will sell to person willing to keep team in Raleigh, maybe a huge sack of cash will make him change his  mind, but nobody is lining up to purchase the team.

oh please even if they did stay in Raleigh attendance would still probably be down

6 hours ago, bustamente said:

Canes are up for sale, sticking point atm is the owner will sell to person willing to keep team in Raleigh, maybe a huge sack of cash will make him change his  mind, but nobody is lining up to purchase the team.

People are Poor in Carolina

17 hours ago, bustamente said:

He can only sell to an NHL-approved owner.  So it wouldnt matter if a relocation option offered him a billion dollars, its up to the NHL.  The Hurricanes have operational control of the arena, but I believe its not owned by the team.

In Atlanta, the Thrashers owners had the NHL over a barrel because they DID own the arena so any prospective team owners in Atlanta would have to negotiate with them to play there.  Since the Thrashers owners didnt want hockey at their arena and their lacked a suitable alternative, the NHL had little option but to consider relocation.

I doubt the NHL will be so easily moved on the Hurricanes.  They will try to find a local owner, pressure local government to assist etc. before considering relocation.  But Quebec would be a soft landing spot.  The NHL would rather get a half billion expansion fee before relocating for a fraction of that though.