MOP award

Mike Reilly did... but his performance lately has hurt him.  Jerome Messam and BLM are perennial candidates.

Some darkhorse candidates might be Greg Ellingson, Brandon Zylstra, Alex Singleton, and Sol Elimimian.  Ricky Ray could be an interesting name if the Argos run the table over their final 4 games.

I'd say Nichols and Harris are absolutely the front-runners at the moment.  If Harris gets 1k/1k just give him the award right now.

On a related note, the MOP name is outdated and I suggest we change the name to The First Annual Award for Outstanding Achievement In The Field of Excellence.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

BLM, no question...

Has he really been the most outstanding player in the league? I mean Calgary is a well oiled machine but watching Calgarys games his play hasn't blown me away. It's usually a strong effort by the defense and ST's. Don't get me wrong he's been good. He's a very good QB but besides an extra two wins what puts him over a guy like Nichols?

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Has he really been the most outstanding player in the league? I mean Calgary is a well oiled machine but watching Calgarys games his play hasn't blown me away. It's usually a strong effort by the defense and ST's. Don't get me wrong he's been good. He's a very good QB but besides an extra two wins what puts him over a guy like Nichols?

Irrelevant in the minds of voters......if the Stamps finish 16-1-1 (definite possibility) then BLM is going to be seen as the reason why, and he'll get serious consideration. Absolutely, it's ridiculous. Nichols and Harris are the obvious logical choice.

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Just to be fair, has Nichols' play "blown you away"?

Both QBs are highly efficient and can win games in clutch moments.  Nichols can use his feet a little more than BLM, BLM has a bit of a better touch on the long-ball than Nichols.  Also the Stamps have had some serious injury trouble in their receiving corps and BLM has just kept clicking along.

Not trying to make a case for BLM over Nichols.  I just think you have to give credit where it's due... both players have been excellent.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Irrelevant in the minds of voters......if the Stamps finish 16-1-1 (definite possibility) then BLM is going to be seen as the reason why, and he'll get serious consideration. Absolutely, it's ridiculous. Nichols and Harris are the obvious logical choice.

I agree with you... if Calgary win 15 or 16 this year the award is going to BLM... doesn't matter what Nichols or Harris does... 1000/1000 might be the only way to change that... but at that point he's a lock for MOC so the voters might not want to give him both....

a ) Voters are morons,

b ) Is anyone still indignant about Glenn not winning in '07?,

c ) Nichols is an also-ran in a 2 horse Alberta QB race.

I don't care at all if he wins or not.  There are only two individual awards Bomber players need to win.  Grey Cup MVP and Grey Cup MOC.  And I don't care who wins them.  If it's Lankford and Hurl, I'll lead the parade.

23 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Bo Levi Mitchell, Messam, Ellingson ?

If Glenn Suitor could vote he would be Ed Gainey since he brings him up nearly every 2nd play.

Yeah kind of sick about his tire pumping...he got all his picks in basically 2 games, and 4 or 5 of them were complete gifts and not the result of great play, and other than that has been pretty pedestrian and average at best.  I'd take a Randle, Heath even an Alexander over him any day 

Well, Bovine certainly can't win the award.  If it's called Most Outstanding, you award it to the Most Outstanding Player.  Bo has not been that.  No where close, really. 

To my knowledge, league doesn't award an MVP award for regular season.  

Reilly's up there.  Nichols and Harris could both be finalists....when's the last time we could say that about 2 Bombers?  2001?!  

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Well, Bovine certainly can't win the award.  If it's called Most Outstanding, you award it to the Most Outstanding Player.  Bo has not been that.  No where close, really. 

To my knowledge, league doesn't award an MVP award for regular season.  

Reilly's up there.  Nichols and Harris could both be finalists....when's the last time we could say that about 2 Bombers?  2001?!  

Probably 2002 .. I think Khari and Milt both had career years that season.

It's actually interesting to put Matt Nichols up against other former Blue Bomber QB's who won or were runner ups for MOP award. As it stands now Matt Nichols is on pace for 5322 yards, 36 TDs, and 10 INT's ( actually 9.69 but rounding up) while completing over 70 percent of his passes.. We should also win about 13,14 wins this season. I think he actually blows 2007 KG out of the water and has the advantage over Khari Jones in 2001. Heres why.

1) 2007 Kevin Glenn went 10-7-1 as a starter good enough for first in the East. It was a great season for the Bombers after going through a crappy 2004,2005 seasons. Glenn ended up with 5117 yards, 26 TD's, and 13 INT while completing 62.5 percent of his passing. We also had a great receiving core at the time that consisted of prime Derrick Armstrong, a young Terrence Edwards, and one of the GOATs of all time Milt Stegall, not to mention a prime Charles Roberts on the ground. All the above players mentioned were league all stars and plenty of credit to Glenn for spreading the ball around but statistically Nichols already has the same amount of passing TD's as Glenn did, will most certain finish with less INT's and is on pace to throw for more yards.. 

2) 2001 Khari Jones wasn't even his best season. That was 2002 where he threw for an incredible 46 TD passes but milt had the best receiving season of all time and took MOP award. Most people hold that 2001 team fairly fondly in their heart I was only 10 years old at the time but after a crappy late 90's run suddenly we were the best team in the league and it was exciting to be a Bombers fan.. I think the one argument Khari has which I've seen people saying for Bo was that he was on the best team in the league. The Bombers were the class of the league but I could see Winnipeg winning 13,14 games this year.. It's certainly not out of  reach at this point. But if we compare stats Khari's 2001 season consisted of 4545 yards, 30 TD passes and 23 INT, with a 60.3 percent passing completion. He also had prime Stegall, Bobby Gorgeous, and a young Charles Roberts. Obviously the game has changed in 16 years but Nichols will have Khari beat in every category except for possible regular season wins.. Also Nichols certainly does have a great o line.. A lot better then our 2001 team, and a slight edge over our 2007 team, Nichols also has a better running game then Jones had in 2001, but Roberts was still great in 2007.. The biggest difference really being the receiving core.. It was much better in 2001, and 2007. Anyways just my break down and my opinion compared to other  great Bomber QB seasons!  

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

I understand the argument made for BLM being given the award because the Stamps are almost unbeatable.  However many times the MOP award has not been given to a player on the best team. I remember Deiter Brock winning it twice in the 80's when the Bombers were at best a 2nd place team to the mighty Eskimos and the immortal Warren Moon!

Really wish the CFL would, for the awards at least, do away with the west vs east mentality and name 3 finalists in each category. They do it for the coach of the year, why not here? Would be neat to see Harris vs Nicholls vs whomever this year, just like last year easily could have been Bo Levi vs Messam vs Reilly as a much more interesting final 3 as opposed to eliminating 2 of them and throwing in Ernest Jackson in a non-contest.

58 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

It's actually interesting to put Matt Nichols up against other former Blue Bomber QB's who won or were runner ups for MOP award. As it stands now Matt Nichols is on pace for 5322 yards, 36 TDs, and 10 INT's ( actually 9.69 but rounding up) while completing over 70 percent of his passes.. We should also win about 13,14 wins this season. I think he actually blows 2007 KG out of the water and has the advantage over Khari Jones in 2001. Heres why.

1) 2007 Kevin Glenn went 10-7-1 as a starter good enough for first in the East. It was a great season for the Bombers after going through a crappy 2004,2005 seasons. Glenn ended up with 5117 yards, 26 TD's, and 13 INT while completing 62.5 percent of his passing. We also had a great receiving core at the time that consisted of prime Derrick Armstrong, a young Terrence Edwards, and one of the GOATs of all time Milt Stegall, not to mention a prime Charles Roberts on the ground. All the above players mentioned were league all stars and plenty of credit to Glenn for spreading the ball around but statistically Nichols already has the same amount of passing TD's as Glenn did, will most certain finish with less INT's and is on pace to throw for more yards.. 

2) 2001 Khari Jones wasn't even his best season. That was 2002 where he threw for an incredible 46 TD passes but milt had the best receiving season of all time and took MOP award. Most people hold that 2001 team fairly fondly in their heart I was only 10 years old at the time but after a crappy late 90's run suddenly we were the best team in the league and it was exciting to be a Bombers fan.. I think the one argument Khari has which I've seen people saying for Bo was that he was on the best team in the league. The Bombers were the class of the league but I could see Winnipeg winning 13,14 games this year.. It's certainly not out of  reach at this point. But if we compare stats Khari's 2001 season consisted of 4545 yards, 30 TD passes and 23 INT, with a 60.3 percent passing completion. He also had prime Stegall, Bobby Gorgeous, and a young Charles Roberts. Obviously the game has changed in 16 years but Nichols will have Khari beat in every category except for possible regular season wins.. Also Nichols certainly does have a great o line.. A lot better then our 2001 team, and a slight edge over our 2007 team, Nichols also has a better running game then Jones had in 2001, but Roberts was still great in 2007.. The biggest difference really being the receiving core.. It was much better in 2001, and 2007. Anyways just my break down and my opinion compared to other  great Bomber QB seasons!  

Nice research Arnie