Passport aside...

Mark H.

The vision that Roberts had was something else. Just always seemed to know where the holes were. Plus the acceleration and balance. Could change directions and being going full speed so quick made him hard to get a good hit on. 

I will likely never forgive him for the 07 Grey Cup, but dude was a talent that doesn't come around often. 

12 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I think some people are forgetting how good Charles Roberts really was.. When he retired he was regarded as one of the best running backs in the history of the CFL. I appreciate Harris for everything he does for this team but Roberts was something special. 

I think Harris will be regarded as one of the best in CFL history too. The fact that he can achieve 1000/1000 this season, at 30, is incredible.

I think people forget that Harris had a phenomenal career in BC before getting here.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Roberts no question.  And aside from missing a flight as a rookie he never really had any issues that affected the team.  Teammates loved the guy.  And he was a decent receiver.  Offenses are way different now.

Harris would take Roberts over himself guaranteed.

Didn't have any issues?

2007 Grey Cup

He smoked and didn't workout. Imagine what he could have done if he was committed the way Harris is to keeping in peak physical shape?

Just now, JCon said:

Didn't have any issues?

2007 Grey Cup

He smoked and didn't workout. Imagine what he could have done if he was committed the way Harris is to keeping in peak physical shape?

Maybe that was all the kept him sane and if he worked out all the time he would have hated it and retired early.  Who knows?  You can't just change the past.

4 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Andrew Harris and its not close. Roberts was a great talent...for a  time. Then got traded away because he wasn't producing.

I would have liked to have seen Roberts with the same dedication as Harris.

Roberts was a CFL all-star every season he was a starting running back and the top special teams player in the league in his rookie year.  He averaged 2000 all purpose yards for an entire career.

Harris isn’t even close to that kind of production.  His best season prior to 2017 was 1830.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Roberts was a CFL all-star every season he was a starting running back and the top special teams player in the league in his rookie year.  He averaged 2000 all purpose yards for an entire career.

Harris isn’t even close to that kind of production.  His best season prior to 2017 was 1830.

No question Roberts was awesome. The question is : who would you choose, not who had better stats. I choose Harris. He does more that carry the ball.

12 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Andrew Harris and its not close. Roberts was a great talent...for a  time. Then got traded away because he wasn't producing.

I would have liked to have seen Roberts with the same dedication as Harris.

Actually not really the case....there was some real issues off the flied/behind the scenes which basically forced the Bombers hand in dealing him and saving face for both the organization, and for Roberts himself...was nothing to do with not producing, but played a part in his production not being Charles Robert's good but still better than most in the league

Back in 2001, didn't Charlie quit the team at one point, because he didn't like being part of a 3-RB system with Blount and Mills...? Like didn't he just walk out one day and they had to talk him into coming back? The thing I remember most from that time was Lamar McGriggs becoming a mentor for him and helping him grow up...

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

Actually not really the case....there was some real issues off the flied/behind the scenes which basically forced the Bombers hand in dealing him and saving face for both the organization, and for Roberts himself...was nothing to do with not producing, but played a part in his production not being Charles Robert's good but still better than most in the league

Actually, his last year as a bomber/lion his production was quite  a bit lower.  Fred Reid came on with a pretty good YPC average. Not sure what was happening behind the scenes but I do remember this.

I suppose the same could be said for just about any player at the end of his career.

Edited by Marshall

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

The fact that he didn't break 10,000 yrds as a Bomber still pisses me off!

Just now, Marshall said:

No question Roberts was awesome. The question is : who would you choose, not who had better stats. I choose Harris. He does more that carry the ball.

Harris has dedication, power and smarts. Roberts had incredible talent and the center of gravity of a personhole cover which made it very difficult to tackle him. Had Roberts done some even average self-care, he would have been in the George Reed legend category.

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

Actually, his last year as a bomber/lion his production was quite  a bit lower.  Fred Reid came on with a pretty good YPC average. Not sure what was happening behind the scenes but I do remember this.

I suppose the same could be said for just about any player at the end of his career.

Yes 2008 was the only year his yards per carry had fallen below 5.0.  No question his production had dropped off but there were lots of problems with that 2008 team that may have played a role in that as well.

Harris has some pretty public issues with Wally and the Lions as well. I think he’s just more mature now, and maybe if Roberts was playing at 30 he would’ve been too. 

That said, looking at everything Harris does, maybe Wally should’ve given him more of the load after all. 

Roberts was a generational talent.  What he did on the field was absolutely special.  While the other players loved him, he forced the coaches to allow him to break the rules.  What that cost the team over the years is up for debate.

Harris is one of the best running backs in the league today and a big part of the success of the Bombers the last two years.  He helps hold the team together and support the coaches. 

If you are asking who the best Running Back is between them, then the answer is Roberts.

If you are asking who would fit better on this team, then the answer is Harris.

10 hours ago, Engelwood said:

Charles Roberts would run into a mass of humanity and pop out the other side while the defense is looking at each other trying to find him. As for a receiver, he was better than good it is just you had the likes of Milt, Gordon and Bruce(You could add DA in there too) that were usually the release valve, AKA throw it up and let one of them find it. It is scary how often it worked. The 2 years with Blink and Sellers were 2 of my most favorite years, you either had to deal with a guy you could not tackle because he made you miss or the guy that you did not want to tackle cause you ended up on the wrong side of a mac truck.

During the years they were both on the team, Sellers was used as the receiving back more often than Roberts.

I'm a Willard fan, so Harris is my kind of RB.  Comparing Harris to Roberts is like comparing apples to a Mardi Gras float.  Those 8-1/2 seasons of Roberts were special.  There was no one like him and probably never will be.  We were lucky to get to experience that.

That said, Harris is the kind of back who can put this team on his shoulders and win us a championship.  Roberts was never that.  Harris all the way.

1 hour ago, mbrg said:

During the years they were both on the team, Sellers was used as the receiving back more often than Roberts.

Ehhhh not a lot to choose. in 02 Sellers had 63 receptions, Roberts had 55, in 03 Sellers had 48 while Roberts had 51. I'd say they were both used pretty equally. Over those 2 seasons we have 111 for Sellers and 106 for Roberts so a difference of 5 catches to me says it's both not one over the other.