Some Food For Thought

Fun with google:

So big Nate was in 2007, and he lost that job to the previously mentioned by atomic Jerome Haywood.  Also would have lost it to a well-positioned Gatorade cooler.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/blue-bombers-release-nate-davis-1.655494

51 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Joe Fleming was decent

Yeah, he was a good one.  But none of them had any longevity lining up beside Brown.  One or two seasons, then replaced.

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

maybe the biggest bust in nfl history. 2 major knee surgeries. Hes nothing like ricky williams. In the right system and given time i think ricky williams would have done a lot better.

I think JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf will have something to say about that!

Richardson is not suited to the CFL but has a lot of potential.  The problem in the NFL was that he was a typical Alabama running back.  Outstanding power and great speed when he gets going.  He is not overly quick or elusive.  Alabama always has a line of future NFLers road grading opposition defenses giving their backs enough room to use their power and speed. 

I don't expect him to do much, but has skills.

Also, in the litany of big name players coming up here, don't forget Doug Flutie and Johnny Rodgers to go with Farragamo and Manley.  They don't all wash out, but they all have targets on them from day one.

4 minutes ago, MC said:

Richardson is not suited to the CFL but has a lot of potential.  The problem in the NFL was that he was a typical Alabama running back.  Outstanding power and great speed when he gets going.  He is not overly quick or elusive.  Alabama always has a line of future NFLers road grading opposition defenses giving their backs enough room to use their power and speed. 

I don't expect him to do much, but has skills.

Also, in the litany of big name players coming up here, don't forget Doug Flutie and Johnny Rodgers to go with Farragamo and Manley.  They don't all wash out, but they all have targets on them from day one.

The man is allergic to holes. He likes running directly into his blockers. That hasn't changed in the three years he's been sitting.

He's landed on the right team... he'll only be the second biggest, former-NFLer, bust this season in Regina.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

The man is allergic to holes. He likes running directly into his blockers. That hasn't changed in the three years he's been sitting.

He's landed on the right team... he'll only be the second biggest, former-NFLer, bust this season in Regina.

He might be the biggest bust.  Young played a couple of decent seasons and only cost one team a first round draft pick.  Richardson cost the Browns a first round pick (3rd overall I think), and then cost the Colts a first round pick a couple of years later when they traded for him.  To be able to ruin two drafts for two different cities in three years is a special kind of bust.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

If he is allergic to holes, the Sask o-line must be his epipen

Just now, Nash00 said:

I distinctly remember Malveaux's tackle on Williams. It was 1-on-1 near the sideline and I thought that Kelly was going to get trucked but he got low and stuck Williams right at the point of attack. Malveaux was a beauty.

I had the exact same pang of concern at that play and he shut him down almost easily.. I was quite amazed and gained a lot of respect for Malveux then.

21 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

To be fair there have been many NFL "busts". How about Johny Manzel, Tony Mandarich etc? And there have been NFL players coming here who been busts (i.e. Vince Faragammo)

And I think Ricky Williams coming up here was a bigger deal, at least as far as the media attention is concerned.  

I for one am interested in seeing what Richardson can do...the guy looks totally ripped.

Manziel was a 22nd pick. Tony mandarich didnt live up to the hype, but ended his career protecting the blind side of peyton manning and doing a good job of it.

Edited by wbbfan

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

I think JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf will have something to say about that!

Jamarcus russell isnt that big of a bust. He was that bad of a pick in a draft with out a clear cut no1. 

In general QBs are very low percentile. Its rarer for a top 5 qb to become a franchise qb than it is for them to miss.  Some positions pro rate better and worse then that.  But RB is handily the easiest transition. Not to mention the greatest position of wealth in terms of football talent. Qbs and tackles are often coddled in the the start of their career. Wrs are pampered with offenses tailored to them. Dbs have an expectation of adjustment as well. But rbs, are supposed to step in and perform. Drafting a RB top 5 is a move to get help now. Missing as a QB is like your lotto ticket not winning. 

Off the top of my head, the biggest nfl draft busts short list would be Richardson, charles rogers, lawrence phillips, bryan bosworth, and courtney brown. (You can make a case for nearly every browns pick in my life time) The bos is about the cutting line for me in terms of injured guys. Tim couch, kijana carter bo jackson etc dont go down as busts for me.

Jamarcus russell and ryan leaf may have been the worst picks in history. The massive pile of red flags surrounding leaf leading up to the draft its staggering that he still went no2. From blowing off the colts interview and work out to the circus of his pro day, to the partying none stop in vegas.  I get how the raiders FK up and draft russell. Its what they do at the draft.