Game 1 : Maple Leafs

21 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I would say it's more accurate to blame the team's lapses and reverting to old, bad habits for Wednesday's loss than to pin it on a goalie who had little to no help in his Jets' debut. I mean, that's a movie we've all seen before with this team, anyway.

As for Ondrej Pavelec, the Rangers signed him as a backup for $1.3M for a single season (low risk, short-term). That's much different than having him on a 5-year, $19.5M contract ($3.9M AAV) and having him as your starter on a team notorious for poor defensive zone play.

I still think Maurice should've replaced Huddy and Flaherty. Frankly, I don't get the loyalty to either of them. They are lousy coaches.

Mason was actually pretty good for much of the first game and made some big saves.  I have very little doubt he will settle into being a goalie that makes the vast majority of saves he's supposed and a lot of the ones that werent being saved in years past. 

I agree about replacing the coaches.  The truth is, every coach gets fired.  Coaches win the cup, win Coach of the Year awards, are lauded for their brilliance and still get fired.  Results and consequences gets coaches fired.  Jets want an air of responsibility and committment.  But every goalie that has played for the Jets has under-performed.  Noel got fired when the team under-performed.  The fact Flaherty still has a job is actually mind blowing.  At some point you have to fire him just based on common sense consequences.  Poor results = change the voice/vision.

I've harped on this before but other teams change their goalie coach numerous times to find the right fit for their starting goalie.  The Jets change goalies looking for the right fit for their coach.

Huddy is supposedly a really good coach but again, based on results at what point do you make a change?  Good coaches get fired all the time.

I suspect there will be no coaching changes though.  I think Chevy has set this team up the way he likes and if they fail to produce, its a major house cleaning.  If Maurice gets fired, they will ALL get fired.  Except Flaherty.

Biggest issue Jets have is they have all these fancy parts, but that's all they have. The sum of those parts is lousy & has been for awhile.   Good teams aren't like that. 

I'd be fascinated to be a fly on the fall when Chevy/Chipman etc review their coaching staff every offseason.  Really hate being a hater... but other than the perceived help Maurice and co have given the youngsters - don't all coaches do that?!? - what else have they done  / do they do, to contribute to success?  Or...what we view as success.  That leads to....

The entire organization either has zero accountability from top down, or expectations are so low that it makes the bar easy to reach. 

31 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Biggest issue Jets have is they have all these fancy parts, but that's all they have. The sum of those parts is lousy & has been for awhile.   Good teams aren't like that. 

I'd be fascinated to be a fly on the fall when Chevy/Chipman etc review their coaching staff every offseason.  Really hate being a hater... but other than the perceived help Maurice and co have given the youngsters - don't all coaches do that?!? - what else have they done  / do they do, to contribute to success?  Or...what we view as success.  That leads to....

The entire organization either has zero accountability from top down, or expectations are so low that it makes the bar easy to reach. 

At some point, if the team continues to struggle, the message of accountability will be lost because the players will say "if WE have to be accountable why doesnt management?"

Ofcourse, this doesnt account for the fact the Jets are going to rattle off 7 straight wins here...