Jets Extend Ehlers 7 years $42M

Goalie

I've felt that Scheif's deal is almost a gravitational pull on everyone else in such a way that it sets a standard for the Jets.  Laine surely to get more but Scheif's deal and now Ehlers will be a "pull" on that contract too.  The core of young guys who clearly want to be here will be inclined to take "fair" deals to play together, stay together and, hopefully, win together.

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I dunno 6 million a year for a guy who has one 60 point season isn't the massive steal some people make it seem. He is a winger too let's not forget. It's a good deal but it is incumbent on Ehlers to progress and make it a steal. 

He's 21,  and had a 64 point season. Even if 65 points is his MAX each year, it's a fair deal. Its fair to say that Ehlers is improving and can definitely be expected to be a 75 point guy.

I thought the best case scenario for Ehlers would be the Filip Forsberg contract (58 point guy) for 6x6. Ehlers contract is even better. This is an absolute steal of a contract and there's no way around it

Edited by Judd

57 minutes ago, bustamente said:

In time Laine resigning should not be that difficult, Trouba still have my doubts.

With Laine and Ehlers being good buddies and Ehlers now signed long term, that will hopefully be extra incentive for Laine.

Trouba?  Yeah, I have my doubts too, but hopefully we're putting together a team that he wants to be a part of.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I dunno 6 million a year for a guy who has one 60 point season isn't the massive steal some people make it seem. He is a winger too let's not forget. It's a good deal but it is incumbent on Ehlers to progress and make it a steal. 

Nah, it's a steal.

And it's incumbent on Ehlers to progress...? Thanks, Captain Obvious. That's pretty much how it goes with every young player signing his first non-entry level contract. You're banking on him building off the success he has already had, and hope for a solid ROI.

Pretty sure everyone here knows he's a winger, BTW.