Bombers Add 6 To PR

Noeller

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Nealon Greene was at least SOMEWHAT successful.....

That's who Masoli is!  The love child of Nealon Greene and Tim Tebow!

Jokes aside, Masoli playing QB is the byproduct of coaches sticking their best athletes at the most important position.  It makes sense until you get to the professional level, where everyone on the field is a great athlete.  If he'd spent the last 4 years playing receiver he might be in the NFL right now.  He's a great athlete, not a great QB.

6 hours ago, mbrg said:

Annual event.  Practise roster gets expanded.  Expect half of these guys to be back for mini-camp next year.  Perhaps one or two will get a look late in the season, but not likely since we're having a season where those late games will still matter.  Dom Davis' job is not in any jeopardy.

I was suggesting the opposite regarding Davis. His job maybe be safe but he could end up elsewhere next season if he thinks he has a better chance to actually play.

6 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

I was suggesting the opposite regarding Davis. His job maybe be safe but he could end up elsewhere next season if he thinks he has a better chance to actually play.

I think he's on the outside looking in no mater where her goes with Collaros, and Franklin soon to be on the market. I think back up QB is probably his ceiling right now but if he stinks in Winnipeg he may get a chance someday and continue to get familiar with the system and the receivers. 

13 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

He was re-signed this last offseason.  I don't recall if it was for one year or two, but I'd lean heavily towards two.  Leaning and breathing heavily are my specialties.

I'd say he'd get signed by someone if he hits free agency, but I don't believe he's scheduled to become a free agent, and if he was, I suspect the Bombers would attempt to extend him.

14 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

It will be a really good thing if we never have see another quarterback for another 5-7 years.

I would rather be in positions of such leads we get a better feel for what we have in Davis sooner then later (perhaps when the seasons locked up).  The last thing I would want is to be in a similar situation to the  Adrian McPherson one in Montreal where for years we were sitting on a dud and then left empty handed when the starter was no longer around

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

19 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I would rather be in positions of such leads we get a better feel for what we have in Davis sooner then later (perhaps when the seasons locked up).  The last thing I would want is to be in a similar situation to the  Adrian McPherson one in Montreal where for years we were sitting on a dud and then left empty handed when the starter was no longer around

I'll gladly take a legendary QB and all the success that the Als had for that many years, while always wondering what we had in Davis.

Yes, it would be nice to strike gold with a back-up and seamlessly transition from QB to QB, but I'll take a few years of success and trust that Bombers are building a deep enough team that can handle transition time while finding the next 'one'.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I'll gladly take a legendary QB and all the success that the Als had for that many years, while always wondering what we had in Davis.

Yes, it would be nice to strike gold with a back-up and seamlessly transition from QB to QB, but I'll take a few years of success and trust that Bombers are building a deep enough team that can handle transition time while finding the next 'one'.

I expect Nichols to be #1 for 3-4 more years at least, so Davis will probably get tired of waiting for his opportunity and move on to greener pastures eventually.  Transitioning to the next QB is well over the horizon and probably not on the radar of the Bomber brain-trust at this time.  Best strategy is to keep a semi-competent CFL vet. handy ready to relieve while they cycle through the younger QB prospects until closer to an actual transition moment and then panic.  Transitions rarely work out seamlessly as evidenced recently in B.C. and T.O.  and are almost always fraught with seasons of difficulty.

27 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I expect Nichols to be #1 for 3-4 more years at least, so Davis will probably get tired of waiting for his opportunity and move on to greener pastures eventually.  Transitioning to the next QB is well over the horizon and probably not on the radar of the Bomber brain-trust at this time.  Best strategy is to keep a semi-competent CFL vet. handy ready to relieve while they cycle through the younger QB prospects until closer to an actual transition moment and then panic.  Transitions rarely work out seamlessly as evidenced recently in B.C. and T.O.  and are almost always fraught with seasons of difficulty.

I suppose it really depends on our backup and if hes comfortable with holding down the fort until his number is called.   So far, Dom hasn't shown that he has an issue with biding his time and its completely reasonable to think that we could keep him happy with promises of being the next guy when Nichols goes down or does need to be put to pasture... with the proper pay incentives and so on and so forth.   Not every QB demands to be #1 right away.. hell look at drew tate. He is more the exception then the norm I agree but not every QB is going to be jonesing to the point of demanding a cut/trade to be "the man"

5 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

At least 3-4 seasons too early for that comparison IMO.  If Nichols was as ancient as Calvillo was, then yes we need to know what we have and quick... but we're not at that point yet.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

High praise for new Bombers QB from the reigning MOP:

@BoLeviMitchell
Replying to @DarrinBauming @JoshStraughan12
@JoshStraughan12 is a beast. Nichols will teach him a lot!

the Bombers checklist ; pending :   goodbye to    "not developing a quarterback".

Great interview with Kevin O /Mike Moreale this am.  discussed O'Shea for a minute, since they are probably pretty good friends.

Edited by Mark F