Fire Richie Hall !!!! DISGRACE COACH

2 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Yes no one is disputing that. 

So then, you can't say that for the development of Dom Davis he should get  a week of first string reps while Nichols just stands around.  It'll never happen. For one, CFL offensive practices don't work like that. There's no equal opportunities given. Second, that would take away reps from your starter which never is a good thing.  That is how I understood your remarks & I could be wrong. Davis is going to have to make the best (or the least) of his opportunities when he does play. He'll have to be ready to go when called upon. Am I happy we have an inexperienced player backing up Nichols? No. One hit & suddenly the entire season will ride on his shoulders which will not be good. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So then, you can't say that for the development of Dom Davis he should get  a week of first string reps while Nichols just stands around.  It'll never happen. For one, CFL offensive practices don't work like that. There's no equal opportunities given. Second, that would take away reps from your starter which never is a good thing.  That is how I understood your remarks & I could be wrong. Davis is going to have to make the best (or the least) of his opportunities when he does play. He'll have to be ready to go when called upon. Am I happy we have an inexperienced player backing up Nichols? No. One hit & suddenly the entire season will ride on his shoulders which will not be good. 

The comment was intended to mean in the situation where Nicholls misses time, Davis should be given a game without people clamouring for Lefevour. Nothing more. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

The way stankford gave up on that ball got my goat pretty good. Im generally the last person to blame a WR, but that was inexcusable.  He did on the field what thorpe did off it. 

Thorpe was the better receiver and deserved to be playing. If I was him I would have been pissed too. This team's refusal to play it's best players (Johnson, Thorpe, etc.) is a mystery to me. 

Just now, J5V said:

Thorpe was the better receiver and deserved to be playing. If I was him I would have been pissed too. This team's refusal to play it's best players (Johnson, Thorpe, etc.) is a mystery to me. 

You are not alone in your puzzlement, but there's always stuff going on behind the scenes we don't hear about for months/years if ever.

39 minutes ago, J5V said:

Not really. It's already been discussed. Lankford could also return kicks. That versatility to play ST is why he was kept on the roster.

And Johnson...? Bruce Johnson?

5 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Not really. It's already been discussed. Lankford could also return kicks. That versatility to play ST is why he was kept on the roster.

Thorpe was brought in as a return man and is highly decorated at it.  So no. 

47 minutes ago, J5V said:

Yeah i agree. But there is a right way to do things and then the pout and go home way.  Frederick also. the amount of time some guys have sat in the face of inferior players (jsk, hardrick, bond, poop, jeffcoat, etc) is staggering. Look at the players weve brought in, let go and are on other teams. Talent and skill are far from the first thing our coaching staff looks at. Its frequently over ridden by all kinds of other factors. At some point you need superior skill and talent to win. I would wager far more championships have been won based on talent and skill then character. Maybe in every major sport as well.

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thorpe was brought in as a return man and is highly decorated at it.  So no. 

Yeah i agree. But there is a right way to do things and then the pout and go home way.  Frederick also. the amount of time some guys have sat in the face of inferior players (jsk, hardrick, bond, poop, jeffcoat, etc) is staggering. Look at the players weve brought in, let go and are on other teams. Talent and skill are far from the first thing our coaching staff looks at. Its frequently over ridden by all kinds of other factors. At some point you need superior skill and talent to win. I would wager far more championships have been won based on talent and skill then character. Maybe in every major sport as well.

and that is the crux of the matter, isn't it?

As some have said, we did blitz yesterday, but for the most part, put very little pressure on Masoli. I don't even know how we can send 6-7 guys at their QB and he can still have like 4 -5 seconds to throw the ball. Hurl is definitely part of the problem - he's awful.  I like Santos-Knox and obviously Leggett is amazing, but like others are saying, we need a MLB.

Also agree about the zone coverage issue. We should try playing more man and see how that pans out. Then again, you usually need a bit of a rush for man coverage to be effective, so who knows what we can really hope for.

Sure hope we get this figured out sooner rather than later. I don't want to lose hope in this team.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Lankford hasn’t took a ball past midfield in months on a return.  If that’s why he’s on the roster that’s even stupider.

Lapo loves having a speed guy.  Always has.  Problem is this guy and McDuffie are terrible receivers who have low football IQ so unless they are running in a straight line they are useless.

24 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Lankford hasn’t took a ball past midfield in months on a return.  If that’s why he’s on the roster that’s even stupider.

Lapo loves having a speed guy.  Always has.  Problem is this guy and McDuffie are terrible receivers who have low football IQ so unless they are running in a straight line they are useless.

True ... Only forgive my short memory but I didn't remember McDuffie lining up as a wideout in our offense last year.  Thing is at least with him he was making big returns all season long last year it seemed like.  Lankford on the other hand seems to have no explosion right now.

2 minutes ago, tracker said:

Lankford is still here for several credible reasons: he is or maybe was very fast at least in a straight line, he can punt and I seem to recall that he can play some quarterback. Still, overall he has not contributed much lately.

But that there is the problem.  This is the pros, not college.  Just straight up speed in a straight line only works if the opposing secondary has a complete communication BV breakdown and misses assignments.  The best receivers are those who run the best routes, and can make blocks.

And as for playing QB ... Well I pray to God we don't ever have to see that.

I believe during the week they had Givens shadowing Lankford at practice. That tells me they are aware and are thinking of making a change. Givens just got here recently so.. Probably needs a bit to get the nuances and playbook down. Brand new to CFL. Bet he starts soon tho. 

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I believe during the week they had Givens shadowing Lankford at practice. That tells me they are aware and are thinking of making a change. Givens just got here recently so.. Probably needs a bit to get the nuances and playbook down. Brand new to CFL. Bet he starts soon tho. 

Well, if he can run routes, you might as well see what he has.  We might have to hope Pressler makes it back by playoff time though to make a serious run for it.

27 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Well, if he can run routes, you might as well see what he has.  We might have to hope Pressler makes it back by playoff time though to make a serious run for it.

You never know who the next Zykstra or Walker are tho so maybe Givens is similar when given the chance. 

5 hours ago, AKAChip said:

People were already saying that due to Davis' performance yesterday, he should be demoted. I am just suggesting that is ridiculous. I'm not entirely sure what you're arguing here. 

Like I said, your post to me sounded like you wanted Davis to get a week of first team reps even if Nichols was starting in order to help his development. Simply misunderstood your post. 

23 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Even if one would argue that Lankford has value as a kick returner (I disagree), we don't even take the kickoff after field goals so he is essentially without a role. 

It's been mentioned before, but it seems to require repeating... Lankford is our backup kicker, so if for no other reason than that, he needs to be on the roster.

That being said, he really screwed up at the end of the 2nd quarter when he gave up on the route which led to the int.  He had the position on the defender to make the catch if he had just followed through on his run.

6 hours ago, J5V said:

and that is the crux of the matter, isn't it?

Id say so.  But i dont see any chance mos does an about face on what seems to be his most core believe. Or that wade/walters would pull the rip cord on him while about to secure a home play off game and a spot in the play offs for the second year.  Coaching extremes have limited half lifes.  Extreme authoritarians eventually rub their team raw. So when an adversity cycle hits the team breaks. Extreme play coaches who give all the lee way in the world lose the room. Players coast in prep and play. Players develop a quitters attitude. etc. 

For the short term, we need better controlled aggression on defense. Defending first down yardage on 2nd down, and getting steady pressure and disrupting qbs. Especially out of our blitzes.

5 hours ago, aalgernon said:

As some have said, we did blitz yesterday, but for the most part, put very little pressure on Masoli. I don't even know how we can send 6-7 guys at their QB and he can still have like 4 -5 seconds to throw the ball. Hurl is definitely part of the problem - he's awful.  I like Santos-Knox and obviously Leggett is amazing, but like others are saying, we need a MLB.

Also agree about the zone coverage issue. We should try playing more man and see how that pans out. Then again, you usually need a bit of a rush for man coverage to be effective, so who knows what we can really hope for.

Sure hope we get this figured out sooner rather than later. I don't want to lose hope in this team.

This is SNAFU for us. We have got to send atleast 1 guy as much as any team in the league. But get easily the least production out of our blitzes. We send hurl a TON, but the guy has 8 sacks in this his 6th year. 8 sacks in 86 games.  We run out tons and tons of talented DL all to similar results. 

In a traditional system I think JSK at mlb mo at sam and wild at will would be a very nice set up. They like wild more at mlb but even if he is back at 100% right away I think JSK has a better tool set to play mlb. 

Dont think its as simple as more man less zone/match zone. I think our core philosophy is fatally flawed. Especially in this modern cfl passing era when we will see some thing like 7 or more passers throw for 5k yards. In todays cfl, you can keep rolling up first downs at a steady pace. 

18 minutes ago, Sard said:

It's been mentioned before, but it seems to require repeating... Lankford is our backup kicker, so if for no other reason than that, he needs to be on the roster.

That being said, he really screwed up at the end of the 2nd quarter when he gave up on the route which led to the int.  He had the position on the defender to make the catch if he had just followed through on his run.

Obviously having an emergency kicker is important but we've come to a point where Lankford is actively hurting the team when he's on the field. I'd rather have Chungh booting 5 yard punts. At least it would be entertaining. 

19 minutes ago, Sard said:

I believe OB said hes the back up punter and jake thomas is the back up kicker. You dont carry a guy in specific to be the back up kicker/punter. You take a guy with inclination or experience (a lot of college and hs athletes will have played both ways or kicked at some point) and give them some reps and go with it.  My tendency would be to try out the RBs/fbs, that position requires quickness and leg drive. Its far from often that you see what we did with a back up position guy kicking/punting. I can count on one hand how often ive seen it for us. 

Seems to me there's a few free agent kickers & punters out there like Chris Milo & Hugh Old Goat Face O'Neill as well as others if you needed to find someone in a pinch. So, carrying a sub par player as a receiver like Lankford in the event Justin Medlock is injured seems counter productive. Just get through the game the injury occurs & bring in a kicker/punter the next practice week.