Game 3 : @ Oilers

Can we stop panicking now?

Another good 1st period.

Hellegood.

If Buff in next game can we sit Myers for Poolman?

Tanev/Lowry/Matthias line was pretty good i though. Are you feeling the Tanev love yet? Poor Matthias - if only good passes came his way on the 2 on 1's,

2nd period struggles again but closed it good.

tP6XMMn.jpgEhlers!!!

gRZc93K.jpg

Helle of a game.

Agree with Goalie re: Matthias.  Can't expect a perfect pass every time... several of those passes were good enough to capitalize on.  But can't argue with the fact he gets in position to get those chances.  Good 4th-liner...

Hugely improved game by the defence.... great games from Morrissey, Kulikov, and Trouba... real nice to see Poolman play well, too.

Not much can be said about Ehlers that we haven't already said... what a stud.... where are our Oiler fan friends who said it wasn't a good contract....?

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

By the end of this season, Steve Mason will be as much of a factor for this team as Chris Mason was.  This is Hellebuyck's show.  It's only a matter of time before the starter's job is his to keep.

I was thinking about this this morning.  I agree and I think that is the plan.  They signed Mason to a two year deal.  So I think Mason knows he's basically a hired hand to come in and mentor Helle and bring some stability to the team.  Worse case scenario, Mason is great and Helle never puts it together and in two years the Jets have first crack at Mason.

But best case scenario and the one I think everyone involves believes to be the case, Helle puts it together and Mason does what is expected and earns himself the leverage to get a big money, long term deal somewhere else.  And it becomes the Helle/Comrie show here.

Supposedly Mason and Helle are pretty tight and immediately spent time together to discuss the situation.  I can only believe they were honest with how they see it going here.

The issue last year in my opinion was not that Helle sucked.  it was that he wasn't ready to play starter's minutes as much as he did.  And the bigger issue was the back up couldn't take the work load off him.  Had Hutch been average, it likely had a positive impact on Helle as well.  Surely Mason will be at least average. 

In one game (and a bit), Helle looks much improved from last year.  Fingers crossed.

In bigger news, the talk of twitter is how we are better without Buff. 

I like the effort Matthias puts in but he just can't finish.  At all.  Feel sorry for him honestly.  Other than that he's a quality bottom 6 forward.   As for the game I know the shot totals may not show it but I was very impressed with the defensive effort the Jets put forth.  Keeping their PP to the outside for the most part, keeping on McDavid at all times and active sticks whenever the Oilers had a quality chance.  Huge difference from the previous games.  Does not having Buff in the lineup and starting Helle really make all the difference?  I bet it was Dano :D.  But seriously I'm curious what knocked them out of their funk, and more importantly can they maintain this.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I was thinking about this this morning.  I agree and I think that is the plan.  They signed Mason to a two year deal.  So I think Mason knows he's basically a hired hand to come in and mentor Helle and bring some stability to the team.  Worse case scenario, Mason is great and Helle never puts it together and in two years the Jets have first crack at Mason.

But best case scenario and the one I think everyone involves believes to be the case, Helle puts it together and Mason does what is expected and earns himself the leverage to get a big money, long term deal somewhere else.  And it becomes the Helle/Comrie show here.

Supposedly Mason and Helle are pretty tight and immediately spent time together to discuss the situation.  I can only believe they were honest with how they see it going here.

The issue last year in my opinion was not that Helle sucked.  it was that he wasn't ready to play starter's minutes as much as he did.  And the bigger issue was the back up couldn't take the work load off him.  Had Hutch been average, it likely had a positive impact on Helle as well.  Surely Mason will be at least average. 

In one game (and a bit), Helle looks much improved from last year.  Fingers crossed.

In bigger news, the talk of twitter is how we are better without Buff. 

This is a good debate...

I think I still lean towards him being a net-positive player for us.   But hard to argue that he doesn't have massive peaks & valleys in his game...and it does seem to mirror how the team plays more often than not.  His influence is huge.  When he's off, he's throwing others off.   When he's on, he's a difference maker.....but how much of one?  This team belongs to 55, 29, 27, 8 etc. already.

If you knew 100% Trouba would sign long term after Buff was dealt, it may be a good move for us.   But you can't risk losing both if you were to say trade Buff, then fail to sign #8. 

I like Matthias.  he works hard and generates chances.  Sure, he rarely scores but if he's getting chances it means the play is going the right way.  Good 4th liner.  Tanev played well too.  maybe he finally rises to the occasion.

Whats the deal with Petan.  Should he be trade bait?  Can he create chances if given better line mates?

Just now, Jimmy Pop said:

This is a good debate...

I think I still lean towards him being a net-positive player for us.   But hard to argue that he doesn't have massive peaks & valleys in his game...and it does seem to mirror how the team plays more often than not.  His influence is huge.  When he's off, he's throwing others off.   When he's on, he's a difference maker.....but how much of one?  This team belongs to 55, 29, 27, 8 etc. already.

If you knew 100% Trouba would sign long term after Buff was dealt, it may be a good move for us.   But you can't risk losing both if you were to say trade Buff, then fail to sign #8. 

I agree.  Buff is a great talent, very unique.  I said many times his value would be in a team competing for the cup.  But the ins and outs of an 82 game schedule with a team that struggles just wouldnt interest him on a day to day basis.

It has to mess with his team mates though.  Even if it doesnt bother them personally, when he plays his lazy "bad Buff" ways, it has to screw with the others' focus on defensive systems. 

If there was a connection between Buff and Trouba, whether it was ice time, money or just the idea of being the defensive Captain, I'd endorse trading Buff and giving his money to Trouba on an 8 year deal.  You're still going to get a big return for Buff.  if Vegas had cap space, he's look great there, though I doubt he'd waive his NTC to go there.

Jets are unlikely to trade him though.  So, what happens if he's pushed down to 3RHD and plays 12-15 minutes a game.  Does he become a distraction?  Does he then request a trade?  Does he play great and try to work his way back to 1RHD?

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I agree.  Buff is a great talent, very unique.  I said many times his value would be in a team competing for the cup.  But the ins and outs of an 82 game schedule with a team that struggles just wouldnt interest him on a day to day basis.

It has to mess with his team mates though.  Even if it doesnt bother them personally, when he plays his lazy "bad Buff" ways, it has to screw with the others' focus on defensive systems. 

If there was a connection between Buff and Trouba, whether it was ice time, money or just the idea of being the defensive Captain, I'd endorse trading Buff and giving his money to Trouba on an 8 year deal.  You're still going to get a big return for Buff.  if Vegas had cap space, he's look great there, though I doubt he'd waive his NTC to go there.

Jets are unlikely to trade him though.  So, what happens if he's pushed down to 3RHD and plays 12-15 minutes a game.  Does he become a distraction?  Does he then request a trade?  Does he play great and try to work his way back to 1RHD?

I think that's the natural progression.  As Trouba, Morrissey & Poolman continue to improve the need to play him often decreases. 

I'm willing to be patient with his adjustment to a lesser role.  I agree, he's not going anywhere.....I mean unless someone throws Buff's clothes in the shower.

Let’s see over the coming weeks how he does with the 22 mins or so Maurice gave him the first 2 nights.  Even that’s quite a bit less than last year’s workload.  Maybe noticing Buff less will be a good thing.